--cell phones again sorry

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
JoeJoe said:
I am going to Santo Domingo for five months.. I need to get a cheap phone that will allow me to talk to my friends in the Dominican .. and also recieve phone calls from Canada. I don't have much money and you were mentioning in the other thread that you can bring a cell phone from your country and use it there. I have a bell cell phone already.. but the contract will be done before I leave for the Dominican. Is there anyway to activate it again in the Dominican? Its an audiovox phone (not sure if that matters) and how much money per month do you think I'm looking at using on a cell phone there?

Go to the verizon store on the El Conde. If you are not interested in looks then they can hook you up with a phone for 600RD, about 20 bucks american. That's where i got mine from. Then i just used my phone from Verizon Wireless's cards I would buy at El Conde or La Sirena. A better deal than the orange for the amount of time you're planning to stay. I don't recommend using your phone because if its more state of the art, theres a better chance it will get picked off by a ladron. But then again i had to take public transportation, you might be driving--so it all depends.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Which store is that Exxtol? I think the outlet there on Conde between Hostos and Duarte no longer has phones for sale, just internet, fax and telefone services, plus bill paying. Is there another store on the Conde you're thinking of? The main store is over on 30 de marzo. But they dont seem to have 600 RD phones anymore. I took a friend over to get her a phone and she had to buy one of the fancy new ones. I could be wrong though. I am seeing less fo the cheap deals around.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
I still recomend you Centennial, as you won?t have a lot money you will save money on weekends calls 50% discount.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
cell phones

macocael said:
Which store is that Exxtol? I think the outlet there on Conde between Hostos and Duarte no longer has phones for sale, just internet, fax and telefone services, plus bill paying. Is there another store on the Conde you're thinking of? The main store is over on 30 de marzo. But they dont seem to have 600 RD phones anymore. I took a friend over to get her a phone and she had to buy one of the fancy new ones. I could be wrong though. I am seeing less fo the cheap deals around.

just bought 3 phones at small store on el conde,nearer to the parque,on the right going towards the parque...has sale signes outside....got motorola startacs for 395 rd,with activation free,and 300 rd woth of verizon minuets....total cost 95 rd...took about 10 or so minuets..they work fine.....from here to las terrenas and back...they had other models as well...like startac as it fits in shirt pocket well...
also stopped by some stores on Duarte,between caracas and mexico today,just to check prices......they have them from 100rd and up....you do not need to go to a verizon or orange store....
bob

VanessaLee13

Mar 24, 2006
Do you think the risk of my cell phone getting stolen would still be high if I either had it on me or in my locked condo room at all times? I don't plan on using it a lot, just to make occasional phone calls home. Maybe I am being naive, so I am asking you guys. Would someone really just walk up to me and take my phone out of my hands or my pocket? Or break into my room for it? I've only been to the DR twice, so maybe my experiences aren't typical.

The reason I would like to get an Orange card is to have a DR phone number. I do mission trips, and we are not always able to get to a Verizon phone store frequently. I would like to be able to have a SIM that would have a constant number (providing of course I re-charge the minutes), and be able to use it on my subsequent trips.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
cell phone

VanessaLee13 said:
Do you think the risk of my cell phone getting stolen would still be high if I either had it on me or in my locked condo room at all times? I don't plan on using it a lot, just to make occasional phone calls home. Maybe I am being naive, so I am asking you guys. Would someone really just walk up to me and take my phone out of my hands or my pocket? Or break into my room for it? I've only been to the DR twice, so maybe my experiences aren't typical.

The reason I would like to get an Orange card is to have a DR phone number. I do mission trips, and we are not always able to get to a Verizon phone store frequently. I would like to be able to have a SIM that would have a constant number (providing of course I re-charge the minutes), and be able to use it on my subsequent trips.

first of all,my last good phone was ripped off my belt,as I had a belt case...two young kids on a pasola came by,one jumped off grabbed the phone and back on the pasola in 5 seconds.....or they will take it out of your back pocket...or....oh well,you get the idea,they are good at what they do....

secondly,all my phones are verizon with a dr phone number and have been good for some years...the new phones also have a new area code,there are 2 in DR now...just need to recharge with verizon cards....same as orange...with just about all coverage in DR except a few little places...el limon,cabarete....
there is a coverage map of DR at this link
http://www.cellular-news.com/coverage/dominican_republic.shtml

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
VanessaLee13 said:

Well first some questions. Are you planning to take public transportation, i.e. carro publicos o guaguas, or do you drive? Are you dominican savy? Do you look and act like a tourist? Are you white?--you will automatically be labeled a wealthy foreigner. Female?--women tend to carry purses which make them easier targets. Will you be staying in Guachupita/near Jose Marti y Paris, or kilometro 12, miraflores, gazcue--just like anywhere else, where you are makes all the difference. The chances of you being pickpocketed, or simply leaving it somewhere are high--especially if you plan on taking public transporation. i left my cell phone in a taxi my first week there, go figure. The chances of armed robbery like you described--slim to none. You'll be fine. It's like anywhere else--petty crime happens all the time.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Jaguarbob, the info in the map is not updated with the actual coverage, the coverage that apper is about 3 or 4 years ago, they are missing centennial, and in the area code search, only appear for Dominican Republic 809, missing the 2nd. area code number for DR 829

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
jaguarbob said:
just bought 3 phones at small store on el conde,nearer to the parque,on the right going towards the parque...has sale signes outside....got motorola startacs for 395 rd,with activation free,and 300 rd woth of verizon minuets....total cost 95 rd...took about 10 or so minuets..they work fine.....from here to las terrenas and back...they had other models as well...like startac as it fits in shirt pocket well...
also stopped by some stores on Duarte,between caracas and mexico today,just to check prices......they have them from 100rd and up....you do not need to go to a verizon or orange store....
bob

Which park Jaguarbob? on the right heading towards parque Colon or on the right heading toward Parque Independencia? I need to get another phone so I would like to know. Verizon has the best coverage. I have a Centennial but it gave out when I was in miches.

I noted one little Verizon store on the right heading toward the parque Colon (heading East), but all the ads were for the newer more expensive phones so I didnt bother to enter, but if that is the store you mean then I will return and ask them. Thanks.

alabemos

Dec 15, 2004
When I first came, I took my American cell phone to that Verizon Store on El Conde and got it activated. Long story, but when I needed to change my service plan, Verizon informed me that I was not the owner of the phone! I went back to El Conde, and talked to them about it. It seems they had put the phone in the name of a guy who works there at the store, because at the time I didn't have a cedula! All this without consulting me. So if you do use that store, you might want to be careful of that happening to you.

VanessaLee13

Mar 24, 2006
OK. So I am going to be staying in Sosua. I guess you have all convinced me to buy a cheapy cell phone once I get there. Cause, yes I am a "rich" (haha, in quotes cause I am far from it) white, Americana who will not be driving in the DR (not sure when I will feel brave enough to try driving there on my own!), and although I have not left my cell phone anywhere in the past, would not put it past myself to do so. (I am just one of those who gets attached to my cell phones, but I do know that you are all right and I should just get a cheap one! :) )

Hopefully I can find a deal in Sosua like the one in Santo Domingo jaguarbob got. . .the RD$395 startacs with RD$300 worth of minutes. 3 bucks for a cell phone! Can't beat that. If anyone knows of somewhere in Sosua that has a deal like this, let me know!

I couldn't get the link for the Verizon coverage map to work. Anyone have one that does? And what are Verizon's rate per minute within the DR and to the US? Incoming calls free? And I can just buy a few cards before I leave and recharge every month or so to keep the phone/number active til I get back?

Thanks again! You guys are wonderful!
Vanessa :)

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
With verizon coverage don?t worry they has coverage all over, but prices per minute are 7.00 dominican pesos, all celullar companies here has the same price for local calls and calls to USA, Canada and PR.

Incoming calls free
Double line free
Voice Mail free
Caller ID free

and in the case of Verizon if you recharge your phone so many times the maximum of service time you obtain is 3 months. centennial is the same.

Im using bouth companies in my cell phone, but my mainline is Centennial.
http://www.centennialrd.com/cobertura.php this is the link for centennial coverage

Last edited:

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
cell phone

macocael said:
Which park Jaguarbob? on the right heading towards parque Colon or on the right heading toward Parque Independencia? I need to get another phone so I would like to know. Verizon has the best coverage. I have a Centennial but it gave out when I was in miches.

I noted one little Verizon store on the right heading toward the parque Colon (heading East), but all the ads were for the newer more expensive phones so I didnt bother to enter, but if that is the store you mean then I will return and ask them. Thanks.

going towards independencia...about 2 or 3 blocks before independencis,right after the Orange big store....
bob

VanessaLee13

Mar 24, 2006
riravaga said:
and in the case of Verizon if you recharge your phone so many times the maximum of service time you obtain is 3 months. centennial is the same.

So, you have service time for 3 months after the last time you recharged your phone? Or, you can recharge your phone as many times as you like, but if you don't use it in 3 months, it expires?

Jun 5, 2004
I have a question about Orange. Is it true that once you are like past your expiration date but still in the 90 days they give you that you cannot refill your account with RD60. With how much do you have to refill it ?

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
jaguarbob said:
going towards independencia...about 2 or 3 blocks before independencis,right after the Orange big store....
bob

Thanks Jaguarbob. I found another as well heading in the other direction but their selection was not as good as your store. Good to know this option still exists.

Nomad

Feb 2, 2006
VanessaLee13 said:
OK. So I am going to be staying in Sosua. I guess you have all convinced me to buy a cheapy cell phone once I get there. Cause, yes I am a "rich" (haha, in quotes cause I am far from it) white, Americana who will not be driving in the DR (not sure when I will feel brave enough to try driving there on my own!), and although I have not left my cell phone anywhere in the past, would not put it past myself to do so. (I am just one of those who gets attached to my cell phones, but I do know that you are all right and I should just get a cheap one! :) )

Hopefully I can find a deal in Sosua like the one in Santo Domingo jaguarbob got. . .the RD$395 startacs with RD$300 worth of minutes. 3 bucks for a cell phone! Can't beat that. If anyone knows of somewhere in Sosua that has a deal like this, let me know!

I couldn't get the link for the Verizon coverage map to work. Anyone have one that does? And what are Verizon's rate per minute within the DR and to the US? Incoming calls free? And I can just buy a few cards before I leave and recharge every month or so to keep the phone/number active til I get back?

Thanks again! You guys are wonderful!
Vanessa :)

You will not find a 3 dollar cell phone in Sosua. But many are under $50 dollars at Verizon. Verizon has the best coverage in Sosua and Cabarete. Orange is good in Sosua also, spotty in Cabarete and good in La Union. Verizon works good in Puerto Plata also. Verizon is CDMA, Orange is GSM. It is 10 pesos to call the US from Centro Llamados (the telephone office run by Verizon). Verizon used to be Codetel. Same thing.

Never had a problem with getting a phone stolen in DR. Use street smarts. Do not flash cash. Leave your jewelery at home. Leave the hotel only with what money you need for right then. Lock the rest in your safe. If your phone is stolen immediately report to the cell phone company. Just use basic common sense and you will have no worrys.

But seriously if it is stolen report it fast to Verizon or Orange. My wife (Dominican) was in a guagua that was robbed. The guy took her phone. She reported it. The thief (ladrone) took it to a Verizon office to get the number changed. They said what a minute and called the policia. The policia came beat the holy hell out of the guy and took him to jail. My wife got her phone back.

I live in La Union near the POP airport. I carry a Orange phone and my wife has a Verizon phone. Some phones have problems on Playa Sosua. I never have though.

Nomad

btm55

Jun 15, 2005
Can these phone deals be found in the Punta Cana area or maybe punta cana airport?