Centro Medico Cabarete

Jan 17, 2009
If your husband can fly and you have insurance, take him to Florida. In an emergency, I would go to CMC. Spitalle is top notch. But i cant imagine that a community hospital in the DR has the same equipment and resources than a large US hospital. The after surgery care, like you say, if Spitali is not present, I wouldn't trust.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I gave birth to my daughter at CMC this January and I have nothing but wonderful things to say about (almost) all of the staff there! My doctor, Dr. Freddy Reyes (OB/GYN) was great. He was always very relaxed and made me feel comfortable throughout my whole pregnancy and especially my birth. I gave birth on a Sunday so the hospital was almost empty other than a couple of emergency guys but my doctor arrived right away, along with the pediatrician, a nurse to help in delivery (hold my hand!) and the anesthesiologist, in case he had been needed, which he was not. Throughout the night, I had nurses checking on me and the baby often. The head guy at the hospital (sorry I forget his name) came in to say Congratulations in the morning, as did several nurses and other staff. All of the front desk staff and admin staff knew me by name and were so friendly whenever I came for appointments. We will continue to use CMC for medical procedures in future and hope to have baby #2 there in a couple of years! :)

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
If your husband can fly and you have insurance, take him to Florida. In an emergency, I would go to CMC. Spitalle is top notch. But i cant imagine that a community hospital in the DR has the same equipment and resources than a large US hospital. The after surgery care, like you say, if Spitali is not present, I wouldn't trust.

Have you had any surgery there? I have. Surgery requiring a neurosurgeon, Roberto Spitale and his team provided excellent care. Certain pros and cons about large hospitals anywhere, especially the U.S. But as has been said, only the patient should make that decision.

Jan 17, 2009
Yes, my husband did, hernia surgery. Actually, he may have been the first patient that had surgery there when they open. As I said, I was and continue to be very impressed with Dr. Spitale. Our experience with other doctors was not very good.

Have you had any surgery there? I have. Surgery requiring a neurosurgeon, Roberto Spitale and his team provided excellent care. Certain pros and cons about large hospitals anywhere, especially the U.S. But as has been said, only the patient should make that decision.

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010
Thank you for your input - we also are here in the country Lindsay doing missionary work, so I know some about the healthcare in this country which no matter where we go in the DR, I'm unnerved. I agree Dr. Spitali is great - but my concern is for supplies, meds and aftercare.
We do not have insurance in Florida, we have Humano here. So tough decision to make. But ultimately it is the decision of my husband - for his 47th birthday we celebrated with a CT scan and some ice cream :)

We pray God will give us the guidance we need in the coming days.