Cheap restaurants in Santo Domingo

Jan 9, 2004
you can always try the Vizcaya, a Dominican landmark , close to the Presidential Palace.

Bingo!

One of my favorites for years....they have been in business since 1953 or 1955. No big wow factor there....just consistent reasonably priced food with good ambience.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Bingo!

One of my favorites for years....they have been in business since 1953 or 1955. No big wow factor there....just consistent reasonably priced food with good ambience.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

well, OP, there you go. now go put the Vizcaya on your list. trust me, i am not on their PR staff.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Gazcue

Comedor on the northwest corner of Calle Cayetano
Rodriguez and Calle Abelardo Rodriguez Urdaneta

two blocks behind Bellas Artes, one block north of Independencia

lunch only 150 pesos rice, beans, salad and meat

Chicken barbecued in a brick oven

The owner used to have the surfing themed store front bar in Plaza Guibia and would cook in an oil drum barbecue in the late afternoon. He runs it with his girlfriend and one of the other other former barkeepers from la Guibia who was pushed out by the renovation.

The rustic seating is under a very old shade tree.

Basic and unpretentious, good value, beer on premises, colmado next door if you want rum

I go there around 11:30 in the morning to beat the crowd. It's one of those high quality little places that fills up fast when the entire DR goes to lunch

18.46292,-69.906092 GPS coordinates

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Gazcue

Comedor on the northwest corner of Calle Cayetano
Rodriguez and Calle Abelardo Rodriguez Urdaneta

two blocks behind Bellas Artes, one block north of Independencia

lunch only 150 pesos rice, beans, salad and meat

Chicken barbecued in a brick oven

The owner used to have the surfing themed store front bar in Plaza Guibia and would cook in an oil drum barbecue in the late afternoon. He runs it with his girlfriend and one of the other other former barkeepers from la Guibia who was pushed out by the renovation.

The rustic seating is under a very old shade tree.

Basic and unpretentious, good value, beer on premises, colmado next door if you want rum

I go there around 11:30 in the morning to beat the crowd. It's one of those high quality little places that fills up fast when the entire DR goes to lunch

18.46292,-69.906092 GPS coordinates

Let me see now, are we talking about "Comedor Mary" and the "Mash Cafe". If so, both great inexpensive spots. While in that area don't forget Empanadas Gourmet right across the street from Comedor Mary.

DennyDee88

Sep 12, 2011
There is a nice Chinese restaurant on the Nunez and Calle Amelia Francasci. The building is yellow and it is on the left hand side of the street if you are headed towards the Kennedy. Really good food and very inexpensive.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Bella Cristal, another Chinese restaurant, on Roberto Pastoriza, near corner with Churchill, is very cheap as well and also La Locanda , already mentioned by me in another post (they are in Bella Vista, near Romulo Betancourt, and in Lope de Vega.

El Conuco is always good, but a little higher then 300 pesos, cheapest plates are probably about 400. But you also get the show, the ambience and terrific food (they have a new chef since recently)

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Anthony Bourdain recommended Lechonera del monumento and the chicahrrones were cheap. I also went to barra payan off 27 de Marzo and the sandwiches are brilliant, and so cheap.... but no beer( that i could see)...

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Let me see now, are we talking about "Comedor Mary" and the "Mash Cafe". If so, both great inexpensive spots. While in that area don't forget Empanadas Gourmet right across the street from Comedor Mary.

Comedor Mary is Santiago one block north and one block west of the place I mentioned. If Mash Cafe is the place I think it is it's one block west.

Michael the surfer's place doesn't have a name posted that I've noticed. Michael has dirty blond dreadlocks and barbecues the chicken and chats up the customers. He was a visible presence in the surf scene in Plaza Guibia before the renovation.