Cheapest time to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charmed220

Jan 5, 2008
Hi everyone, my previously planned trip to DR in May did not work out because my boyfriend was an idiot and didn't save his money in time. I was wondering if anyone knows when the cheapest time to go would be? I'll be staying in an AI hotel, hopefully Casa Marina Reef, because I can't afford to do anything other than AI. WestJet Vacations had a package in May for only $570 from Toronto (which is where I'm coming from), but supposedly from what I've read online the cheapest month is November? Could anyone give some advice on that? Would November even be a good month to go weather-wise? Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks!

Charmed.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Take a look at bookit.com and try different times to discover the acual cost of airfare and AI. We use bookit for just hotel as we live here it is always then less expensive. Good luck.

shellbell

Jun 27, 2008
I love the DR in November. For us Northerners, it gets you out of the gloomy cold days into beautiful sunshine and still very warm temps. November also tends to be quite dry. I would recommend a very light sweater for evenings on the beach though...

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
I'm in the hotel business -- if you can get a flight from Toronto along with a hotel for a week AI for $570 taxes in, book it. How much cheaper are you looking to get. That's $80 per night all-inclusive without even counting the price of the flight. If it's not taxes in, be careful -- there's a lot of tax on flights!

To put that in perspective for you, I usually pay more that that air-only.

Have a great vacation!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
if anything i would book soon!!! I looked yesterday...sept is running around 400 USD (n/s ewr-sdq) in November the same flight is approx $1,000 USD (YIKES!!!) this is air fare only. THings are only going to get worse by summers end (they say). Already my friend cant find a direct flight to San Juan PR in Oct.

November is a roll of the dice for weather. Should be fine...but it IS hurricane season still...and my friends were stuck in their hotel for 5 or 6 days last november when a tropical storm hit. (if you are doing an AI you might want to get vaca insurance...not sure how that works)

I've gone different times of year. Avoid major holidays (xmas, easter new years). For some reason i always find good deals durring high season (feb-mar)

I have also had some luck booking the day before...especialy around 9pm EST. I have found fares for 220 (after taxes and fees) this way...but you have to be ready to go the next day.

again..i am not an AI traveler...so i am not sure if the same tips work.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
early december, january or february are nice times. i don't like it too hot and it's really nice then with cool nights...
seems to me if you can afford an AI you should be able to book it seperately and come out good...

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Cheapest time to visit DR is from the third week of September through the second week of November.

I would agree with Hipocrito Mejia.

Also May-August are fairly cheap too if you watch for deals.

If you are travelling from Toronto for an AI, I would recommend West Jet for the flight service but they are not the cheapest when booking an AI package.

If you use one of the websites that show all the pricing you will get your best price.

Here are some of the reliable sites you can use.

Wholesale Travel - Sell Off Vacations Last Minute Travel Deals
Untitled Document
SellOffVacations.com - Guaranteed Lowest Price, Anytime You Travel. Mexico|Cuba|DR|Caribbean|Europe|Las Vegas

Hope this helps
Sangria

Charmed220

Jan 5, 2008
That does help a lot, thanks. I used WestJet when I was planning to go in May and then my boyfriend didn't come up with his money so I couldn't go. Otherwise I would have jumped on the $570. I'm hoping to spend about $700 or less, considering it was $570 before and I still have to pay $100 to get to Toronto Airport first. I will keep checking. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.