Checking Accounts

hermit17403

Apr 5, 2006
I opened an account with Banco Popular in Santo Domingo with just my passport, it wasn't a problem. But my account was in pesos, so don't know how that will affect your situation.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
windeguy said:
Although they share the same corporate owners, BP in the US is really not as closely associated to BP in the DR as you might think. Different rules and regulations in the US and the DR. The same situation is true with Citibank in the US and DR, and Scotia Bank in the DR and Canada.

For example, to get money from BP in the US to BP in the DR, you would have to do a wire transfer or deposit a check from BP in the US to a US dollar account in the DR. No different than using any other bank in the US. Because there is no easy way to connect the money between the US and the DR, it is probably better to use Washington Mutual or BofI (Bank of Internet) in the US for their lower fees than most other banks in the US.

Additional info and a request

I have found using my US bankcards to withdraw pesos in the DR does not provide a great exchange rate. After calling the banks, MasterCard and Visa, none of them provide a good explanation as to why the rate is not better. One card normally provides a better exchange rate than another, and neither company has been able to explain the difference.

I have yet to find someone in the DR north coast that will give me a rate on a personal US check that is as good as the rate for US cash.

If someone has a better solution, please post it.

One Banco Popular in the US is Banco Popular Puerto Rico (BPPR).

http://www.bppr.com/welcome.html

Then there is :

http://www.bpd.com.do/ingles/home+page.htm

I believe that some members of DR1 have gotten a rate as good as cash

when they have established a relationship with an exchange house.

JD

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Much confusion about opening bank accounts here. Maybe there is different from bank to bank ? However last summer, when I was not yet a ressident, I opened both a dollar and a peso account. It took about 20 minutes, and I was able to take out pesos from the atm right away. This was Banco Santa Cruz in Sosua.