Checking for Bed Bugs in hotels...

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
If you stay overnight in a room with them, there is a good chance your luggage will be infested with them and you will bring them back home with you.

It's recommended that you not put your suitcases on the bed for that very reason.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I stayed at a place about five years ago that had them, then found out they were on a major comeback. They are not obvious during the daytime. The main indication you have them is if you can spot the droppings, and by that point, it's a big infestation. When I read the link, what amazed me was that many if not most hotels do not consider bedbugs to be a cause to get a FULL refund on the room in the US. If you stay overnight in a room with them, there is a good chance your luggage will be infested with them and you will bring them back home with you. I hear they are esp bad in NYC and that is where many of the DR infestations are coming from. Exposing any materials to direct sunlight is suppose to help and using vacs to suck up any bugs is suppose to help. Now I worry about getting them from planes and other places where luggage are shipped together.

My god, these things are worse than roaches!!!

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Boy is this post way overdue. But lets please make it clear that the BedBug epidemic is worldwide and not just a problem in the Dominican republic...

I will not mention any names or exact locations but let me tell you that i was bitten by bedbugs a few times in the dominican republic..I went to bed with no bites and woke up with bites all over my arms and legs..And they were not mosquito bites. After being bit i lifted the mattress and Bingo!!!! yuck!!!! yuck!!!!

The problem is not that the hotel has bed bugs because it's dirty. but they have bedbugs from people bringing them in. But the real problem is the hotels hat do not know how to look for and deal with bedbugs. I was at a hotel a few months ago in the DR and checked the room over when i checked in..I found no bugs but all the signs of them on the boxspring and a few not normal looking spots on the mattress. When i went to the front desk to tell of my findings to the clerk in a very quiet and discreet way, the owner of this hotel started to accuse me of being paranoid and completely crazy..He stated that we do not have those things here, that;s down the street at blank blank blank...I showed him and the maid what i found and they both laughed and said someone must have spilled something or whatever blah blah ...So they gave me another room after i told them i was going to leave..

So everything was O.K right? WRONG...After a night out I returned to the room alone to get some sleep..I inspected the sheets with my paranoid a.. and after finding nothing i went to sleep..Whe I awoke in the morning i discovered numerous tiny blood spots on the sheets..I had no cuts or scabs at all on my body. I went to find the maid to show her the sheets. She laughed and said it was probably from a women. I told her I was alone, and then she said it was probably mosquitos..I just checked out and will never go back.

That is the problem, any hotel can get bedbugs but the smart ones are checking for them and dealing with the problem. Some are in denial or just too cheap to address the problem.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
how to prevent bed bugs..

After my bad experiences with bed bugs i am now very uncomfortable staying at hotels anywheres, not just the DR...But there area few precautions that i take when i travel.

1. bring a large garbage or plastic bag to put your luggage in and do not put your luggage or clothes on the bed

2. I hang my clothes in the closet sealed in those clear hanging suit or storage bags with hangers. And do not put your clothes in the hotels dresser drawers as bed bugs do love to hide in wood.

3. you have to be especially careful of putting things on the nightstand. The bed bugs love to nest there as they are close to their next meal:lick: and make sure the nightstand is not touching the bed.

4. Check the mattress seems and under the mattress and boxspring. Look for black specs or traces of dark red spots.Also look behind the headboard with a flashlight. If you see anything that don't look right ask for another room.

5. you can also keep your luggage in the bathtub as bed bugs useually do not frequent bathrooms and they also have a hard time climbing the porcelain.

6. you can also buy a travel kit to use at hotels. They have some bed bug spray and include a magnifying glass to search for them little blood suckers..It's a good investment for 10 bucks..

7. i bought a bed bug suitcase heater on line for about $250 for when i return from a hotel. You just put the suitcase and clothes in the heater, zip it up, and heat it up between 2-4 hours. YES heat kills bedbugs.

8. If you do not invest in a heater you can spray the outside of your luggage with Rubbing alcohol,,Yes Alcohol is a proven sure thing killer of bed bugs.

9. It is also recomended that you wash your clothes in hot water if you suspect contact with bed bugs, If they are delicate clothing you can just put them in a high heat dryer for 30 minutes..The heat should kill the bed bugs,But i think it has to be at least 120 degrees.

Some people may say i am crazy and Paranoid. But bed bugs are a serious problem that you do not want to bring into your house, They will get in your bed, your clothes, your couch, your wood bedframes etc..

You can not stop traveling, and you will not die from being bitten. But you need to do whatever possible to leave them at the hotel and out of your home..

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Precautions at home for bed bugs

Here are a few things youcan do at home to prevent bed bugs or monitor for them

1. you can cover your mattress or boxspring with a bedbug proof cover. The bed bugs can not get in or out of these covers. They are available for about $50 - $100 for both.

2. Vacuum the mattress and boxspring on a regular basis. Vacuum your carpets or floors and furniture on a regular basis. Make sure to throw out the vacuum bags or empty the cannister if you think you have bedbugs.

3 saw online that they sell these bed bug monitor things that you put under your bed post or legs. They are supposed to trap the bugs coming or going.

4. inspect your mattress on a regular basis. The key is to catch on that you may have bed bugs before they spread to other areas of the house.

If you think that you may have bed bugs you will have to wash and dry all your clothing in hot temperatures. Wash all the bed linens the same. And most importantly call a professional exterminator..

Shoooot, now i am scared to go to bed..jejeje and remember what they say..GOOD NIGHT SLEEP TIGHT AND DON'T LET THE BED BUGS BITE..

Last edited:

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
QUOTE:

"8. If you do not invest in a heater you can spray the outside of your luggage with Rubbing alcohol,,Yes Alcohol is a proven sure thing killer of bed bugs."

THIS IS NOT TRUE. I have personally sprayed 90% Isopropyl directly onto live bedbugs (adults and nymph stages), and watched them walk away. It might help, and might kill some.. but it is not fool proof, and neither are the "bed bug" insecticide sprays that are sold.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
100% Sure Fire Cure for Bedbugs

Bedbugs cannot infest a foam mattress. They cost a little more than spring mattresses but are well worth the difference. The higher end hotels are learning this.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Anyone else see a great business importunity for a new business in the DR? Hotels, dogs, inspections? Train some dogs offer this service to hotels? Eh, eh? ;)

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Anyone else see a great business importunity for a new business in the DR? Hotels, dogs, inspections? Train some dogs offer this service to hotels? Eh, eh? ;)

It is very big business in the US now. I wonder if the spraying the resorts do for other bugs kills the bed bugs too?
I have been reading this thread and it is making my skin crawl. EWWWWW

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Humans sure can be funny at times. you are aware that at this very moment there are literally hundreds of thousands of parasites feeding off your body without you knowing about it? And I don't mean the Sankie Pankies...

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Bedbugs cannot infest a foam mattress. They cost a little more than spring mattresses but are well worth the difference. The higher end hotels are learning this.

How do you know this?? This would be a wonderful thing. But sounds too good to be true....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Foam Mattress',"So What"???????
Bed bugs don't just infest "mattress',they infest everything!
"Foam" walls,floors,bed clothes,closets,furniture???????????????????????????????????????????????????
That might be "comfortable",but it still wouldn't work.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
"Foam Mattress',"So What"???????
Bed bugs don't just infest "mattress',they infest everything!"Foam" walls,floors,bed clothes,closets,furniture???????????????????????????????????????????????????
That might be "comfortable",but it still wouldn't work.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

This is true

Do Memory Foam Mattresses Get Bed Bugs?

At least with a foam mattress you can change the bedclothes after the room is fumigated and not worry about any of them surviving the coil spring mattress heat treatment to come feed on you. I get the heebie-jeebies thinking about it. A friend found bedbugs in his condo (the hard way) after his tenant moved out and they were in e v e r y t h i n g. He got rid of the mattress, sleeper sofa and cloth chairs and bought all foam replacements after the fumigation. Unfortunately the bugs followed him back to his house and he had to call the pest control service back. The good news? Accelerated depreciation and itemization to the condo account....repairs & upgrades.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Humans sure can be funny at times. you are aware that at this very moment there are literally hundreds of thousands of parasites feeding off your body without you knowing about it? And I don't mean the Sankie Pankies...

Shhhhhhhhhh,

don't tell them about Dustmites, then they will really sleep in water-filled tub.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qEvW3ZGAAg8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>