CHIEF OF BRANCH SECURITY at Banco Popular? (for all branches in the DR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Since we are on this topic does anyone know what the Minimum account balance one needs for no monthly fees? I thought it was $USD4000? Every year BPD dings me $120.00, slow bleed of $10 every month..
I believe you need $500 USD and you need to make at least one transaction per month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Banco Popular charges a management fee if you do not use the account. If you have on line banking and have a peso and dollar account then you only have to make one small transaction per month eg a 5 dollar transfer between accounts to avoid the management fee.

I have a friend who is a branch manager who advised of this work around.

Since we are on this topic does anyone know what the Minimum account balance one needs for no monthly fees? I thought it was $USD4000? Every year BPD dings me $120.00, slow bleed of $10 every month..

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
For those who are thinking about opening a bank account with Banco Popular, I hereby warn you not to.
This is the most deceitful and mendacious institution we have ever dealt with.

At this point, the Branch Manager in Las Terrenas is stonewalling us and refusing to communicate.

We even tried contacting via email:

Voz del Cliente
Banco Popular Dominicano

"Voz del Cliente?" what a joke.
No help, one form email response - no assistance what so ever.

If you are wondering who the bank teller was in LT, private message me.

Be careful, remember stealing is not usually considered a crime here, its an occupation. Calling a guilty thief 'a thief" is a crime here. They protect the system that gets them paid. Pichardo' path means you spend months/years and thousands dealing with corrupt lawyers to regain a few hundreds dollars. So the question is what is the number you must be ripped off before its worth taking such actions? Remember the process of dealing with 'dumb and dumber" alone can be the reason not to.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
For those who are thinking about opening a bank account with Banco Popular, I hereby warn you not to.
This is the most deceitful and mendacious institution we have ever dealt with.

At this point, the Branch Manager in Las Terrenas is stonewalling us and refusing to communicate.

We even tried contacting via email:

Voz del Cliente
Banco Popular Dominicano

"Voz del Cliente?" what a joke.
No help, one form email response - no assistance what so ever.

If you are wondering who the bank teller was in LT, private message me.

Well, well well.

Are you thinking about banking with Banco Popular in Las Terrenas?
I think seeing this video speaks volumes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_fesNZUEEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_fesNZUEEMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_fesNZUEEM

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Its the largest bank in the country so the question is, are any better? or again is it like any business in the DR, expect very little in quality of products and the customer service is groups of staff talking or texting on the phone while ignoring customers.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Its the largest bank in the country so the question is, are any better? or again is it like any business in the DR, expect very little in quality of products and the customer service is groups of staff talking or texting on the phone while ignoring customers.

I was just going to say I dont want to deal with any bank in this country. Period.

If it maked you feel any better just open a free savings account, pop in 2 k $ for emergencies, and forget all about it !!!
Its the internet age, just use any bank from home country. Where you can actuallt e-bank, oppose payements and all the usal stuff.

P.S. my french bank does not want anything to do with any dr bank. They even recommend not to use CC cards and in the end gave me a free 2nd card on a diffrent account to use here ( to limit fraud risks/max losses ------ for them, not for me as its a real bank, as opposed to here, and any problems/frauds are immediality remboursed ) Lol.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Just had a run around with the Canadian bank Scotia Bank. After withdrawing USD dollars from my account I was informed by another bank where i was making a deposit that one of the 100USD notes Scotia gave me was FAKE. So i took it back and had to fight for over an hour to get it replaced. Looked like one of the tellers was running a scam as they originally declined to pass the packet through a counting detector machine. You would think that a Canadian bank would know better to allow this kind of thing to go on.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Just had a run around with the Canadian bank Scotia Bank. After withdrawing USD dollars from my account I was informed by another bank where i was making a deposit that one of the 100USD notes Scotia gave me was FAKE. So i took it back and had to fight for over an hour to get it replaced. Looked like one of the tellers was running a scam as they originally declined to pass the packet through a counting detector machine. You would think that a Canadian bank would know better to allow this kind of thing to go on.

Be thankful you weren?t accused of trying to pass off a counterfeit note then handcuffed and thrown in jail.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN DEALING WITH CASH WITHDRAWALS WITH THIS BANK TELLER at Banco Popular in Las Terrrenas:
(Name removed by moderator)

Make sure he counts the money in front of you slowly - and in plain sight of the security cameras - before he gives it to you.

Refuse the money if he attempts to give it to you all at once.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010

that's why I closed my Banco Popular account. pay them to hold my money to use it. costs them nothing to let it sit there... esp. now that everything is digital. Just one of the ways banks "rob" customers... not just in the D.R. either!

Status
Not open for further replies.