Chikungunya and Travel

Official numbers talk about 50,000-100,000 cases. That would be 0.5 to 1% of the population. I think many people claiming to have chikunguya might have something else, between a mild headache to another virus. Everything that has fever or headache now says to have chikunguya.

I agree, our barrio peeps say they all have it but I think they just have a flu.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
That's the only thing that makes sense to me, the way this virus is spreading like wildfire. There simply can't be thousands of those special dengue/chik mosquitos flying around carrying the diseases.

good question. this tiger striped mosquito is very common here. according to WHO few other types of mosquito have been indicated as carrying the infection. it's a good time to carry some research, i guess.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you are hanging your hopes on Dominicans using mosquito repellent,...DON'T!
Why is that everyone came to visit without a problem when "Dengue" was the REAL KILLER here, still is, but now everyone is afraid to come because of "Chimichuri", which doesn't kill you, just makes you WISH you were dead????
The "Chicken Little" complex!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 6, 2006
good question. this tiger striped mosquito is very common here. according to WHO few other types of mosquito have been indicated as carrying the infection. it's a good time to carry some research, i guess.

=================================================================
These are the same mosquitoes that have always been around, sucking people's blood. The only difference is that the mosquitoes have now been infested with this virus and simply serve as the vectors to transfer it from one person to another, in the same way that malaria and yellow fever have always been transferred. The mosquito simply wants to drink your blood. It would just as soon drink your mule's blood or your cat's blood. Apparently the virus that causes this is hardier/and or multiplies faster than the dengue fever virus.

We are filled with bacteria and viruses. Most of them do us no harm, and some are beneficial.

Mosquitoes are right at the top of the list of God's Bad Ideas.

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
Risk is everywhere for many things. There are things we can do. For Mosquitos as well as other flying bugs, plants can help keep them away. Here is a link and there are many more
6 Mosquito Repellent Plants | Garden Design
There is clothing for keeping insects away too. REI in the US offers several things, another link
Sun and Bug Protection

The plant suggestion is for locals here and the clothing and bug spray, for all. Basil works very well and you can keep this indoors as well as enjoy it on many food dishes. Nothing is foolproof. Many years here and in Haiti and have never caught any mosquito virus thankfully. Enjoy your vacation here.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Risk is everywhere for many things. There are things we can do. For Mosquitos as well as other flying bugs, plants can help keep them away. Here is a link and there are many more
6 Mosquito Repellent Plants | Garden Design
There is clothing for keeping insects away too. REI in the US offers several things, another link
Sun and Bug Protection

The plant suggestion is for locals here and the clothing and bug spray, for all. Basil works very well and you can keep this indoors as well as enjoy it on many food dishes. Nothing is foolproof. Many years here and in Haiti and have never caught any mosquito virus thankfully. Enjoy your vacation here.
Thank you! I bought some Deep Woods Off for my trip. Not really worried. I was more curious than anything. Of all my trips to DR I never had any problems other a little stomach discomfort. Always enjoy myself.

Aug 6, 2006
Growing plants that repel mosquitoes is a fine idea, but plants are not portable and do not grow fact enough to serve much use for a traveler.
DEET is very effective, but using it has some risks. I suppose the best thing would be to by high strength DEET and dilute it and use a hand pump (Windex-style) bottle to put it on with. If you carry aerosol cans in your luggage, it is bets to bag them. I have had Edge shave gel blow out on one trip, and some Axe spray blow on the return trip. Lots of times I have carried these things in my luggage with no problems at all. Perhaps the cargo holds on some flights are pressurized, and not on others. In any case, you would not want a can of DEET to erupt on your clothes.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Official numbers talk about 50,000-100,000 cases. That would be 0.5 to 1% of the population. I think many people claiming to have chikunguya might have something else, between a mild headache to another virus. Everything that has fever or headache now says to have chikunguya.
I take it back.....our oldest son has high fever and pain in his hand joints + headache. I suppose it's chikunguya. Doing bloodtest today. His pediatrician says 'they' are not 100% sure if the virus (only) spreads by Mosquitos and to keep the others far from him. Don't know what to think of that.

Aug 6, 2006
I take it back.....our oldest son has high fever and pain in his hand joints + headache. I suppose it's chikunguya. Doing bloodtest today. His pediatrician says 'they' are not 100% sure if the virus (only) spreads by Mosquitos and to keep the others far from him. Don't know what to think of that.

===================================================================
I would say that is a proper scientific attitude. If you know that it is spread by X, that does not mean it could only be spread by X.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
I had read that once you have the virus you are contagious just as with any virus. Hope I read that wrong!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

if he has it that means you have infected mosquitoes in your house. good luck now.