children having babies??

Shelby Stokes

Oct 13, 2004
I am with you

DunHill said:
So, my intake of 12y was higher than suspected, it starts already at 10 :(
That is new for me as well

And something else, you cannot take a 10y old western child as an example of a 10y old Dominican woman.
The Dominican education may have failed, but they don't play with dolls anymore, if they have a younger brother(s)/sister(s) they have to take care of them already at very young age.
Cleaning the house, cooking, attending the younger children is "common".
Most (!) of them are already "grown-ups" at the age of 10 while a western child of the same age is still playing with her dolls, those young-ones (12 and up) are already discussing about having babys and who is a good husband.

To inform/educate those groups, and against all thoughts it is not just "barrio" culture, but "village" culture as well, how can we reach those people ??

Newspapers??
NO, most of them can't pay for that

Free brochures??
Who went to school to read them?

Radio?
What/where electricity?? and after that, music is more important than those boring talking people

Television??
What/where electricity?? and after that, "novellas" are more important than those boring talking people

Discussion groups??
Maybe, but who can bring in those little people who have to work (job or house) and only have time to cook and maintain the house.

It will be a hard job, but is absolutely necessary, if only the goverment had some REAL interest in those groups.

Than there could/would be schools/institutes with a kind-of social kitchen, where the rest of the family could get cheap/free food, and than the knife cuts at both sides, some of them are in school to learn/study and can be reached for additional information, others will be having their food in the kitchen, and you can reach those people as well while they are eating.

But till now, every president is more interested in frontpage-news with a new suit and watch, and/or being "good" for his followers or the people he owns a "favor", the wealth of the few, this will be an almost "impossible mission"

A plan as this won't cost/loose billions of dollars, and will create more educated people, but it is a difficult plan, because the few with real power, cannot get rich by such a plan.

My conclusion is that the problem is in the lower classes, but the higher classes are just "fine" with this situation, and for that i blame them more, because they KNOW what is wrong and (almost) don't do anything to solve the problem, while the others never learned how-to deal in those situations and therefore i cannot blame them.

If you never learned how much is 1+1, you never can give the right answer

I echo all of what you write and hope that others would ask themselves these same questions because if, not only in the DR, these issues are pondered and sought after to be answered then this world will be non-exsistense for those children that are coming up behind us. Is it that we are incapable of thinking of the generations after ourselves or is it truly that we are selfish and only desire to store up all of these things that will not go with us into the here-after. Do we, as a collective, even think about the here-after or are we all saying to each other through our actions that we do not believe. C'mon this is an urgent massive cancer that is attacking the world as one, but we as the world's inhabitants do nothing but step in the direction of what would get ourselves, as individuals, towards personal goals that do nothing but advance us closer to death and the grave. Personally, I am assured of where I am going so in that case I do not have another plan but to do what I can to enlighten others behind me to where I am going and point to the same destination, hoping they will move in that direction. I know that since I have moved in this direction my heart has opened to issues such as this we discuss but what I see that others may not see is that we have victory. Yes, we can have victory in this as all the other issues, the answer is to see ourselves as the servants to those that will come behind us and to begin to set up a more relaxed exsistense for them.

Look, this what I write is not nor has ever been popular with the masses but it has continued to prove itself as the truth. When a person understands that self is not all to be thought of then the others around that individual prosper and flourish to do the same for those around them. The action becomes more outgoing and all benefit, but if all that is sought after is selfish intentions then what we get is what we have today. Now, there will be all of the usual speech to come after this I post. The opposite view, the fool's view and the most dangerous, the view of those that enjoy what is present today. It is that view that will stay in power until all of us that know the Truth become courageous enough to stand and say, No More!!".

I am willing and able to go where the Truth will lead me and if that is to the DR or to the Far East or to Africa then I will go, I just hope that there will be others with me.

But then again, my friends do say that I am crazy

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
borruga said:
Rest assured that European women all over the place (can't speak for the North Americans) are doing just the opposite to add beauty and color to the paleness of our population.
That was a good one borruga.
You know how they like it...Nice and burned...lol
That is why they love visiting them bateyes.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
DRsScarface said:
This shows you that the Dominican government should start spending on education instead of a state of the art Metro system. No matter how much you modernize the country the country will never prosper and become the best it can be because all we will have is a whole bunch of pregnant dumb girls getting on a train. You guys should also know that problems with teenage moms are also very common in the U.S. especially in the lower class population and some of the middle class. However, something that the U.S. has that the DR needs is a very good sex education program in which the students ask question about sex and the teacher(qualified) answers the questionss. The government should concentrate on getting sex ed. teachers all over the the country. If we get drunk the whole semana santa than we are obviously not the most Catholic country in the world so we should just stop avoiding the problem and find a solution.
What would your excuse be for the developed countries such as the US in particular where teenager pregnancies have always been records high every years?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Diario Libre goes in depth on this theme today. The comments from the girls featured confirm much of what has been said by posters in this thread. Interesting - but no surprise - that they tend to be daughters of teenage mothers themselves.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Mr_DR said:
What would your excuse be for the developed countries such as the US in particular where teenager pregnancies have always been records high every years?
Perhaps large scale immigration from Latin America.