Christmas Bonus and severance to paid to "legal expats" working in the country?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
If you do have people working fixed patterns for you, I would recommend that you register them with TSS and pay the payroll taxes. I had a situation with a woman who was supposedly a contractor. She fell pregnant and decided that she was an employee. Not only did we have to pay her off, but we also had to pay a fine to the TSS which had lots of additional charges added. If people are legally resident they will have a cedula, so you can register them with the TSS online. I think the difference between a contractor and an employee under Dominican Law is pretty much the same as other countries - a contractor is hired to a do a particular piece of work and you don't tell them how to do it, whilst an employee is under your direction and control.

Reactions: JD Jones

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
If you do have people working fixed patterns for you, I would recommend that you register them with TSS and pay the payroll taxes. I had a situation with a woman who was supposedly a contractor. She fell pregnant and decided that she was an employee. Not only did we have to pay her off, but we also had to pay a fine to the TSS which had lots of additional charges added. If people are legally resident they will have a cedula, so you can register them with the TSS online. I think the difference between a contractor and an employee under Dominican Law is pretty much the same as other countries - a contractor is hired to a do a particular piece of work and you don't tell them how to do it, whilst an employee is under your direction and control.
Did she have fixed work patterns and had to come and work at the same fixed location too ?