Christmas in the D R

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks HB and chiri for backing me up - in some families here gifts are indeed given on the 24th (the only right day, in my opinion :) )
amstellite - you cannot give to everyone. if you really want to organize something then do big sweets giveaway. candy will be greatly appreciated :)

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
you know- THAT IS NOT A BAD IDEA!!! I never thought about candy and chocs.... that would work very well... and yeh- I think they would love that.... good one , thanks

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have seen some charity events in here and i know kids are so happy to get a simple chicle or menta. you wanted to spend 10 dollars a head - that can buy you loads of stuff here: lollipops, chewing gums, mini-snickers bars and fruit candy. with just 50 bucks you can make a whole neighbourhood happy :)
and i am a big sucker for sweets myself :)

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
you know- I must be old - I completely fogot how much I loved those stockings my parents would get me for Xmas in England when I was a kid- full of chocolates and tangerines and nuts and small toys-- that was great- now I am thinking- I bet Pathmark has them here and they will be half-price after Xmas here- I could bring all ' those along and buy Dominican stuff when Iget there- yeh- that's the ticket- I'll go with the candy and make some little bags up my self when I get there...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Quite the contrary Chiri, the normal and accepted tradition is the Reyes on January 6th, what has been gaining grounds though middle and upper class family are gifts given the morning of the 25th, sometimes they give half the toys the 25th and the big ones the 6th.
Reyes is a capitale?os thing. Up north El Ni?o Jes?s brought gifts the night of the 24th. This is slowly disappearing though as it is replaced with the Southern tradition, and in a twist of irony, in the south it has been slowly replaced by the North American tradition of Santa bringing gifts on the 24th.