Chulitos

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
chuckuindy said:
For some reason I thought it was the the plant rather than the root. Now to find some yuca root in Indianapolis.

i guess im lucky...there is a huge dominican supermarket down the street from my apt here in Jersey City.....and i see the yuca there all the time...just didnt know what i could make with it. i dont have a deep fryer at home tho...but i still might give it a shot and suprise my dominican buddy here with some chulitos when he comes over next :) I am SURE he will be critical tho...he always critisizes my cooking...then has 2nd's and 3rds lol. I get a kick outta that one

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
chucky,

If worse comes to worse i think you can just use potatoes and you will get kinda close. not QUITE the same texture...but i am fairly certain that the brazilian place i meantioned earlier was using potatoe for there coxiena and not yucca. (i could be wrong tho)

mullinsca

Sep 10, 2003
Chulitos!!!!!!!!

Dominican ladies can be found selling Chulitos at almost any school yard for eithe five or ten pesos. They are nothing more than peeled, boiled and mashed yucca root (I should know because I eat them everyday when school is in session) Yucca can be found in almost all major grocery store chains in the United States and you dont really need a deep fryer just a heavy pot will hot oil will do nicely. We live in Sosua DR nad we eat yucca quite a bit. Once cooked it is so starchy that it will hold itself together to fry.

Good Luck with the Chulitos and if you really want good ones just come to the DR.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
No, the yucca is not boiled. That's the difference between chulitos and bollitos de yuca.

They are very easy to prepare, not the healthiest food in the world since it is deep fried, but darn if it isn't good. I make them with cheese nowadays, heretic as I am, since I don't eat meat, but the originals filled with spicy meat are the best. Almost makes me want to eat meat again. :speechles

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Pib said:
No, the yucca is not boiled. That's the difference between chulitos and bollitos de yuca.

They are very easy to prepare, not the healthiest food in the world since it is deep fried, but darn if it isn't good. I make them with cheese nowadays, heretic as I am, since I don't eat meat, but the originals filled with spicy meat are the best. Almost makes me want to eat meat again. :speechles

Thank you your Goldness.

I have never understood vegetarians, please refer to my photo at: http://www.pbase.com/image/27808318 and you will see why. My motto is, eat, drink be happy and have a young and beautiful corpse.

Thanks for the tip. My favorite breakfast food is fried mashed potatoes with hot sauce.