Church & Politics. Touchy Subject!

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
tony c has said one thing that i have always agreed with.
opus dei is prevalent in the d.r. - it is akin to the masons, a kind of secret society within the catholic church. i believe there is actually an opus dei university in spain.

i haven't bothered to do a search, but i am surprised it is not a topic touched on more on dr1.

although people would claim that opus dei has many good attributes, many others would claim it is elitist and all about the money.
whatever way you look at it, it is worrying to know they have such a stronghold in the d.r. (apparently the jesuits, who i do respect, do not like opus dei followers one iota.)

what i would like to know is how tony c knows of them "first hand".
who is the one spilling the beans?

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Tony C,

Sorry, but I still don't see your point other than to preach your own particular brand of atheism.

Whether or not I am pro-Catholic is beside the point although I do happen to have pretty strong feelings on the subject myself. I hardly think we need to cross examine the Catholic church's motives in not supporting this administration as they have past administrations. Even if their motivation were purely financial or to gain power, there are so many reasons for a politically active church such as they are and have always been to take a stand on moral and humanitarian reasons that it would be almost impossible to decipher between the two.

If you want to pick a fight with Rome, look elsewhere.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I have found that most Dominicans I speak to (ranging from fervent believers to non-believers) are at best cynical about the organised Church and the Cardinal in particular. There is more respect for the grassroots (often Jesuit) priests who are living, working and suffering with - as well as helping - poor and marginalised Dominicans and Haitians.

From the way that politicians and other public figures (entertainment, business) are forever namechecking their deity and - especially in Hippo's case - attending Mass what seems like every other day, and making a point of appearing pious in photos, it is important to be identified as a good Catholic in the eyes of the public. In theory anyway.

Remember what they did to Juan Bosch who was honest enough to state his atheism!

Chiri
- is there an smiley for people like me? ;)

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
lhtown said:
Tony C,

Sorry, but I still don't see your point other than to preach your own particular brand of atheism.
If you want to pick a fight with Rome, look elsewhere.

STOP IT.

I have gone out of the way not to discuss religious beliefs. Don't try to suck me or anybody else into it. Robert has very specific rules about this and I am trying to stick to it.

Religion has nothing to do with what we are discussing. We are talking about an "ORGANIZATION"

For the sake of arguement lets call this Organization "The Friends of Mamajuana"(FOM) Lets give this group the same amount of followers.(At least people who claim to follow) The same Political connections, The same Financial earnings and Holdings. The same political perks(No Taxes..ect)!

Should FOM be so outspoken? Should People Pay Attention?

How about my idea? Groups like FOM should be alowed to be polically active, but if they chose to do so they must accept Taxation? Would the FOM keep speaking out politically because it is "The Right thing to do" or would they shut up so as not to risk their "Gravy train?