Cigar SHOCK.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Yess I like these but I would suggest having it after a meal, very full bodied. I had to put down the first one I smoked before finishing. Maybe I'm a light weight. LOL

Here's a piece I did on the cigar and Jose Seijas. I compressed it so it will load faster.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwkwHyG_8FTObm9BM2N6YUNIaWc/edit

Yep...his cigars are not for the faint of heart...or empty stomach!

btw, did you do that video with Charles?

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Figurado Conundrum

True story. One day I had a great smoke, from the point of view of an easy light and a perfect burn. "This is the greatest thing since sliced bread! Why have I not experienced this before?" I asked, incredulously.

Turns out, I had lit the wrong end of my figurado!

So, the question is, where do you cut YOUR figurado?

Do you cut it at the fullest diameter making it like a parejo?
Do you cut the smallest diameter possible in keeping with the "minimum draw rule"? BTW, not understanding the whys and wherefores of "the minimum draw rule" is why this thread is for CIGAR SMOKERS ONLY! Others would just be too dumb or, should I say, inexperienced to figure it out.
Or somewhere in between?

And, further, what do you think about my idea of smoking a figurado from the wrong end? No, I'm NOT talkingabout "whatever floats your boat." That's obvious. I'm asking, is it a BETTER idea? And are you willing to try a test?

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Possibility of Cuban Fakes

That place in the "Colonial Zone" is a "Tourist Trap" with huge prices.
You may THINK you bought a "Cubano" but I doubt it!!!!!
Dominicans Make "Fake Cubanos" and even fake high end Dominican cigars.

You may be right. The jury is still out on that one. Three of the "Cuban" figurados I bought had poor construction, uneven burns and the tobacco quality was nothing to write home about. But one figurado Bolivar was quite good and the Romeo y Julieta #1 tubo was excellent.

I'm wondering if there could not be a shell game going on, mixing and matching authentics with fakes. But there's something else going on. Most would agree that Cuban cigars are the best in the world. However, the inverse is not true. It is not true that that means that every Cuban is a superior cigar. Many are mediocre and there are bad ones. This being the case, it's sometimes hard to judge.

Color me skeptical now about the integrity of this business. Given the excellent, excellent recommendations on this thread, I'm sure we can do better. I will, however, say that the in-house maduro robusto at RD$ 150.00 rivals a La Gloria Cubana Wavell and is somewhere between a good and a great cigar. In fact, that's going to be my "go to" budget cigar for my normal smoking. And the ambiance is great too; however, I've never seen other cigar smokers--a bad sign, and another indication that you might be right.

I'm very impressed by the information contained in this thread for cigar venues, purchase, as well as information on manufacture. I'm going to create a document on my desktop and take notes. Much to explore here. I'd really like to find the primo spot in S.D. Not only for purchases but a lounge to talk it up with the boys . . .

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Never smoke a "Figurado",...."Backwards"!
You not only look like an idiot, you waste most of the tobacco.
Just cut the "Head", light and enjoy!
I am waiting for several boxes of "Victor Sinclair's" ready at "EPS" for my wife to pick up right now!
I hope they enjoyed their trip from the DR, to Pensylvania USA, and back to the DR!!!!!!
I really like his "Primeros" blend cigars, all sizes, but usually just smoke the "Big Boys"!
I most enjoy cigars of the "6X60" ring gauge.
Smoother, creamier, more abundant, "Smoke"!
"JR" stop by for one, or TWO!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 12, 2005
Never smoke a "Figurado",...."Backwards"!
You not only look like an idiot, you waste most of the tobacco.
Just cut the "Head", light and enjoy!
I am waiting for several boxes of "Victor Sinclair's" ready at "EPS" for my wife to pick up right now!
I hope they enjoyed their trip from the DR, to Pensylvania USA, and back to the DR!!!!!!
I really like his "Primeros" blend cigars, all sizes, but usually just smoke the "Big Boys"!
I most enjoy cigars of the "6X60" ring gauge.
Smoother, creamier, more abundant, "Smoke"!
"JR" stop by for one, or TWO!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I also enjoy the larger ring cigars. 50 and up for me. I tried a few 70 ring monsters but that is just a little too big.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Yep...his cigars are not for the faint of heart...or empty stomach!

btw, did you do that video with Charles?

Yep that was me. I need to post that vid on the thread Charles, started since CC suggested it was some type of scam. LOL

Was that you at the end of the clip?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

N.B. THIS POST (THREAD) IS FOR CIGAR SMOKERS ONLY.

Cigar smokers know that there are only a handful of countries with the appropriate microclimates to support quality tobacco and cigar production and that one of these countries is the Dominican Republic.

For example, Arturo Fuentes are world-reknown as is the stellar Opus X (and probably over-rated due to limited supply).

So what is the shock?

THE SHOCK IS THAT IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC YOU CANNOT BUY DOMINICAN CIGARS.

Of course, the latter statement is not absolutely true but it is relatively true. If you were to assign a number between 1 and 10 for the ubiquity of Dominican cigars in First World cities it would be an 8. Whereas in the D.R. it would be a 2. Alas, tobacco grown and cigars rolled here are destined for markets abroad.

In Santo Domingo, I have found a single cigar shop where one can find quality cigars, Cuban and Dominican, as well as some excellent product rolled on site. It is La Leyenda del Cigarro, S.R.L. on Calle El Conde, No. 161, Esq. Hostos. Their business card cites two other locations but I have not visited them. No, this is NOT stealth spam -- just a recommendation from a forum member. If you know of other serious tobacconists in other parts of the country, as well as the capital, I'm sure many would like to know . . .

The specifics. The ambiance of this shop is pleasant and timeless. Lavish woodwork, orange ceilings, paintings of famous historical cigar smokers, two comfortable and facing couches with pillows, a coffee table, and a crystal ashtray.

I feel very relaxed smoking here. Generally, I smoke one-half of my cigar here, then proceed to La Cafetera for coffee traditional and al refresco and cigar friendly if you sit at the outside table.

At the former shop I have found a superior Cuban Romeo y Julieta #1 tubo. However, the corona is not my preferred size. Next in line will be the Robusto! I was not, however, impressed by the various toros: Robaina, Upmann, Montecristo.

My greatest surprise was/is a rolled-on-site maduro robusto. The roller has a very sensitive touch. Excellent construction, even burn, no bad draws, and bold with character. It is so nearly indistinguishable from the Dominican La Gloria Cubana Wavell that I purchase in the U.S. to bring here such that I'm going to make this my regular cigar. It is $RD 150 per stick, an excellent price.

Prices? As you know, a good cigar, in U.S. dollars, averages $15.00 - $25.00 apiece and up. If you look hard and buy on the Internet, you may find a good quality budget cigar for +/- $5.00.

The prices at this shop are good, meaning "normal." An average Cuban is $RD 500. That is a "normal," not inflated, and therefore a "good" price.

The selection of cigars rolled on site is large, 20 or more, many sizes, only one maduro.

What's your cigar story? Recommendation?

I would not consider myself a cigar "snob". I don't need to buy a name brand or the most expensive . In Las Terrenas there is a cigar shop with a couple of people rolling cigars of various shapes and sizes. The quality seems to be very good and the prices are outstanding. You have a choice of mild, medium and stong in the cigars they roll. You can get a quality smoke for rd300. The location is just down from Peso Plaza directly across the street from the French Cafe.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I would not consider myself a cigar "snob". I don't need to buy a name brand or the most expensive . In Las Terrenas there is a cigar shop with a couple of people rolling cigars of various shapes and sizes. The quality seems to be very good and the prices are outstanding. You have a choice of mild, medium and stong in the cigars they roll. You can get a quality smoke for rd300. The location is just down from Peso Plaza directly across the street from the French Cafe.

That is your prerogative Steve.

Just as it is mine to relentlessly seek the best I can find, and yes I do notice the difference and it isn't small.

Just two day ago I had a Partagas Churchill de Luxe 2001 (discontinued since 2006)... no freshly rolled stooge can match tis in nose, complexity, refinement and variation in taste, while maintaining the strength throughout.

Yes you pay a little extra (in this case I paid RD$ 600 for the stick), but for one of the great Churchill's with that amount of age, it really is a steal.

For me, cigars are a passion, for others a pass-time. Both are fine...

However, the pass-timer should refrain from broad statements about quality and not being worth it... leave that to the aficionado crowd...

In fact I would go as far as saying, sight unseen, that the RD$ 300 stick is overpriced compared to my Partagas...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Last night I enjoyed an El Jefe by Aroma de Cuba and a San Cristobal from Ashton.

Two great tastes that taste great together! LOL I'm a huge fan of Don Pepin's cigars...and those are two nice ones. Have you tried his original lines, especially the blue and black? Also the original Tatuaje Miami. Stellar stuff...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Not on the final version, did you not see it? :ermm:, check out his webpage. This was the second version. The final is 10 mins long

I did see it a while back and I think it was correct...I was kidding anyway...you did a great job on both videos by the way! I spent a lot of time with Jose and his sons last week in Las Vegas at the ICPCR. They had one of the busiest booths for a new release at the show.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Internet Buying and More

Cigarbid and places like JR are your best bet for quality smokes at decent prices. I have become quite the fan of Drew Estates. have you smoked a Liga Privada 9 or an Undercrown?

I've heard of JR. I've been buying from Cigar International. I buy either La Gloria Cubana corona gora toro maduro @ 25 for $100.00 or robusto Wavells @ 25 for $85.00.

You mentioned the Liga Privada 9 or Undercrown. Are you saying these are Drew Estates cigars? I haven't hear of
Drew Estates. What's the availability?

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Cigar Bars

For a great selection of Fuente cigars, including Opus X and A?ejos...and an AWESOME atmosphere, check out Casa Fuente on Av. 27. The prices aren't that bad, and IMO worth it for the experience...and selection.

You also may want to check out Cameroon Cigar Bar and Lounge on the Malecon..they have a Tarde de Cigarros every Wednesday where you get a featured premium cigar or two, plus sample scotch or good rum for around 500 pesos.

@DavidZ -- Thank you for this advice. I will be checking out both places. Maybe in the future someone can PM posters on this thread for a dr1 smokeout at one of the above or other . . .

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
I buy ALL my cigars, Dominican, Central American,ALL, online from the USA.
"Cigar Bid"has the best values, and 30 million cigars in their warehouse in PA.
I have them shipped here via "EPS".

What's happening with this new Customs fee for orders less than $200.00? If true, that's a disgrace. A lot of Dominicans (and others) depend on these small shipments.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Although there's no Casa Del Habano in the DR, real cubans can be found here. The official distributor in the DR for Habanos S.A. is Dalso S.A., contact info below:

General Manager: Mr. Jorge Y??ez
Address: Plaza Francesa Local 213 Avenida Abraham Lincoln esquina Paseo de los Locutores, Ensanche Piantini, Santo Domingo, Rep?blica Dominicana.
Phone: +809 547 1271
Fax: +809 547 1271
Email: dgdalso@hotmail.com

Again, thanks to you, valuable information for everyone. When buying Cuban cigars at Casa del Habano in D.F. (Mexico City), I never had doubts about authenticity.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Humidity, Storage, and Nomenclature

Most cigars from tourist shops are dried out, and often "stale' from improper storage

And Puros refer to cigars made with tobaccos from one country, not necessarily from the same leaves. It's rare (more like impossible) to get good wrapper, filler, and binder from the same crop, let alone the same plant.

As you know, humidity for cigar storage should be somewhere around 70%. Today's humidity in S.D. is 57% -- "Close but no cigar" as they say. Do your recommends, Casa Fuente and Cameroon Cigar Bar, have walk-in humidors?

As to nomenclature, I see that "puro" has a technical definition. I have always used it as the generic Spanish term for "cigar" and I've never found anyone to not understand that usage. Could you say, then, that "puro" has both a formal and a colloquial definition? Any other Spanish synonyms for "cigar"?