City girl hitting the beaches

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
Hi Sdivito

I'm always trying to be in Cabarete, so, if you land on friday-saturday-sunday you can save a few bucks on taxis and buses going with me and my wife but will have to spend on a coffee or on a beer with us, maybe. Just tell me when are you coming and we can arrange to do that.

The tips are usually included on restaurants and bar bills, but is considered very polite to give an additional 10% of the total amount billed. If you consider that the given service deserves more that that then give more, the waitress will be happy.

locofoto

Aug 18, 2004
gatoazul said:
The tips are usually included on restaurants and bar bills, but is considered very polite to give an additional 10% of the total amount billed. If you consider that the given service deserves more that that then give more, the waitress will be happy.

Latino people don't tip - ever :bandit:

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Propina

It is customary to tip "something" on top of the bill, even when there is a service charge on the bill. Not all Latino's are tacano.

locofoto

Aug 18, 2004
Lechero said:
It is customary to tip "something" on top of the bill, even when there is a service charge on the bill. Not all Latino's are tacano.
Right. ;)
But in most places American tourists are easy to spot as the only ones tipping at large. Other people just give a little extra when very pleased with the overall service.

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Stop stereotyping please.
Some Latinos tip better than others.
As do Europeans, Americans and Asians.
It is customary to tip a little more in a better restauraunt anywhere in the world .......period. In Europe and most of Latin America a "service" charge is imposed on the customer regardless of the service quality. In The USA the amount of tip is up to the customer and not obligatory.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Not quite...

gatoazul said:
The 10% service charge is shared amongst all employees, including the floor sweep, the cook, the gardener and anyone else there working for a salary.
It is NOT a tip.
It is prescribed by law as part of the employee's salary when working in the bar/rest/hotel industry.

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
Thank you

Rocky said:
The 10% service charge is shared amongst all employees, including the floor sweep, the cook, the gardener and anyone else there working for a salary.
It is NOT a tip.
It is prescribed by law as part of the employee's salary when working in the bar/rest/hotel industry.

Hi Rocky,

As a customer, I didn't know that. Now I'm sure it's not a tip. Always learning.

By the way, where is your restaurant located? I think I will be in Sosua and Cabarete this weekend taking relatives to the airport and I'm always looking for a good espresso.

Best regards,

Gatoazul

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
gatoazul said:
By the way, where is your restaurant located? I think I will be in Sosua and Cabarete this weekend taking relatives to the airport and I'm always looking for a good espresso.
We are located 30 meters North of Harrisons Jewelery store on Calle Dr. Rosen, but we do not serve expresso coffee. Our coffee is more American style.
There is a restaurant/terrace on Pedro Clisante, 100 meters West of Harrisons, called "La Dolce Vista" and they serve expresso.
Regards, Marco.

dontuseEltour

Feb 2, 2003
I gotta say as an american i tipped more not only for the service when in the DR but because i felt the quality of the food or drink compared to the price i would pay was a great value, leaving more in my pocket to leave the server.
We have travelled a lot in the carib and still feel the prices in the DR are by far the best this may be how others from the US feel also ,it's not that i want to show i have more money but that i do appreciate the value of the DR.

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
Rocky said:
We are located 30 meters North of Harrisons Jewelery store on Calle Dr. Rosen, but we do not serve expresso coffee. Our coffee is more American style.
There is a restaurant/terrace on Pedro Clisante, 100 meters West of Harrisons, called "La Dolce Vista" and they serve expresso.
Regards, Marco.

Thank you so much. I have been in La Dolce Vista. If I remember well I ate pasta, drank coffee and even saw a soccer game on a tv they have there.

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
More info

Hi Sdivito,

I was at the airport today and found out just the same Hillbilly said a few days before:

The prices are as follows: a) Airport-city of Santiago: RD$ 450.00; b) Airport-Puerto Plata: RD$ 1,800.00. Anyway, the prices are publicated on a board on the street between the car-rental?s offices and the parking lot at the airport, so is always visible.
Emitaxi, a well known taxi company in Santiago, has a price of RD$ 400.00 for the Airport-Santiago ride. The difference is minimum, I suggest to take one of the airport?s taxis. Again, as Hillbilly said: ask for Rafelito.

The trip from Santiago to Sosua via Caribe Tours costs RD$ 80.00 p/person.

Keep in touch.

Gatoazul