Claro goes GSM

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I just activated a Cingular Motorola V3 (GSM) on prepaid service. The process was quick and easy! I only paid RD$290 for the SIM which includes RD$100 in talk time minutes. The postpaid RD$95 Motorola V3 offer requires the "Habla Claro 320" plan (320 minutes) for RD$970 + taxes; I think it was RD$1240 per month with taxes included.

NotLurking

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Question.............

.......does anyone know if you can "trade" your CDMA number that you already have with "Claro" on a monthly statement (not prepaid) to "GSM" and keep the same phone number???? I have tried calling, and, of course, noone has any idea what I am talking about.........:surprised:surprised

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Claro 829 #'s

Does Claro offer 829 #'s? Some USA voip and calling cards seem to charge much less when calling an 829 #.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
.......does anyone know if you can "trade" your CDMA number that you already have with "Claro" on a monthly statement (not prepaid) to "GSM" and keep the same phone number???? I have tried calling, and, of course, noone has any idea what I am talking about.........:surprised:surprised

Yes!!!
I transferred my old number to the GSM sim card. The plan (postpaid, monthly statement) is a little different than my old one.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
EVDO data? GSM signal strength?

GSM means also GPRS and EDGE. that's the real great news for data transmission.

I thought EVDO was faster than EDGE. I guess they dont have EVDO in the DR yet. Would love to have a DR cell carrier that gave unlimited internet on a phone that could be tethered to a laptop. Anyone know about tethering?

Will the Claro GSM be better than their CDMA? I heard that GSM penetrates buildings better?????

Maggie6872

Jul 18, 2005
Does Claro offer 829 #'s? Some USA voip and calling cards seem to charge much less when calling an 829 #.

I'm glad someone else said it. I thought my Mom was crazy when she said it's cheaper to call me on my 829 number from her Verizon USA telephone number than on an 809 number.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Depends

I'm glad someone else said it. I thought my Mom was crazy when she said it's cheaper to call me on my 829 number from her Verizon USA telephone number than on an 809 number.

Sometimes I think this is the luck of the draw, I have had it both ways when calling. Have had 829 cost more than 809, and have had it cost less. :ermm:

Have also had ATT prepaid tell me that 829 is not a valid area code. The help desk in India, swears that 809 is the only valid area code for the DR. Indotel did not register correctly when 829 started being used, so not all carriers have it in their system.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Question from Mr C who is counting the days till June 29: will the iPhone only be usable with a Claro account or will all the DR-based companies offer it?

Nope. They are not offering unlocked iPhones. Apple have an exclusive contract with AT&T until 2009.

Maybe unlocked iPhones will start to appear on eBay once a few people have worked out how to unlock them, but they will be VERY expensive if this ever happens.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Nope. They are not offering unlocked iPhones. Apple have an exclusive contract with AT&T until 2009.

Maybe unlocked iPhones will start to appear on eBay once a few people have worked out how to unlock them, but they will be VERY expensive if this ever happens.

Bugger! Better hide the razor blades then.:cheeky:

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
i currently sent phones to dr and i just want to know if the CDMA are still available. i had cmda back when i went and i saw most phones were CDMA in a claro store so its just gonna be a choice of CDMA and GSM for claro subscribers?