Clinica Abreu - Walk ins?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Yes, AE, that is the one.

I think it was BienAmor who posted about that one. I think that Clinic Abreu just sends their patients over there.

I did find the entire medical system there a bit hard to navigate - but I learned a lot from my French friends who lived up in Las Terrenas. All the French up there go to Abreu.

My friends would come down to the Capital for their blood work every year - they said that they thought that the amobea lived on the microscopes up in LT. We Americans are not used to taking charge of our health care like that. But I learned.

I was quite sick a couple of times - once from sun exposure - a combo of sun plus meds I was taken which resulted in the sunburn getting WORSE as the time passed and a sense of burning inside - which sent me to Abreu for 4 days on a drip... Another for a who knows what infection which turned out to be both staph and strep - which took 8 days. At the end they gave me a sheaf of medical reports which included my white blood counts... the new doctor for a subsequent bladder infection looked at them and said "You are lucky that you did not die."
Oddly enough I had not felt that sick. Just that I wanted to go to bed and sleep... like forever and ever..Fortunately, my assistant insisted that we go to an internist at Abreu who insisted that I go inpatient.

Of course - I lived in the City - and would often travel out to the Campo on assignments and stay in places that most gringos there will never see -- I call it the "toilet seats optional trail" .

However, it is wise to treat small things seriously there.

The fact that one can not actually drink the water that one showers in ought to be warning enough.

Fortunately I had good local insurance. Unless things have changed, you have to buy the local insurance before you are 65 and there is only one company which will cover you after 70 without having you take another physical then. Otherwise you have to carry ExPat insurance which will be much pricier... That is for those who are living there full time.

I think that you said, AE, that Medicare covers some emergencies? Perhaps that is a Medicare advantage plan. My Medicare supplemental.

Any - I always travel with an American Express card which has no preset limit -- because..

well
one never ever knows...

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
AE
My problem with CEDIMAT is that Dr. Pedro Ureña (DR. involved with the problem on the Haitian border) is no longer at CEDIMAT, he is working out of Corazones Unidos now. So that is where I will be going if needed! he done my stent work when he was at CEDIMAT.

As far as a GP Dr. Ricardo Lamouth speaks perfect english and is next door to Abreu (same building as Refrencia) 6th floor does not due appointments.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes, AE, that is the one.

I think it was BienAmor who posted about that one. I think that Clinic Abreu just sends their patients over there.

I did find the entire medical system there a bit hard to navigate - but I learned a lot from my French friends who lived up in Las Terrenas. All the French up there go to Abreu.

My friends would come down to the Capital for their blood work every year - they said that they thought that the amobea lived on the microscopes up in LT. We Americans are not used to taking charge of our health care like that. But I learned.

I was quite sick a couple of times - once from sun exposure - a combo of sun plus meds I was taken which resulted in the sunburn getting WORSE as the time passed and a sense of burning inside - which sent me to Abreu for 4 days on a drip... Another for a who knows what infection which turned out to be both staph and strep - which took 8 days. At the end they gave me a sheaf of medical reports which included my white blood counts... the new doctor for a subsequent bladder infection looked at them and said "You are lucky that you did not die."
Oddly enough I had not felt that sick. Just that I wanted to go to bed and sleep... like forever and ever..Fortunately, my assistant insisted that we go to an internist at Abreu who insisted that I go inpatient.

Of course - I lived in the City - and would often travel out to the Campo on assignments and stay in places that most gringos there will never see -- I call it the "toilet seats optional trail" .

However, it is wise to treat small things seriously there.

The fact that one can not actually drink the water that one showers in ought to be warning enough.

Fortunately I had good local insurance. Unless things have changed, you have to buy the local insurance before you are 65 and there is only one company which will cover you after 70 without having you take another physical then. Otherwise you have to carry ExPat insurance which will be much pricier... That is for those who are living there full time.

I think that you said, AE, that Medicare covers some emergencies? Perhaps that is a Medicare advantage plan. My Medicare supplemental.

Any - I always travel with an American Express card which has no preset limit -- because..

well
one never ever knows...

No, Medicare covers nothing in DR. We have Medicare with a supplemental plan through AARP (United Health Care), and that will cover any emergencies in any country, with a $250 deductible. If I remember correctly, it’s only the first 90 days overseas, and , of course, you have to pay first and submit for reimbursement. The year my husband had dengue, he had a lot of tests and treatments, but we didn’t bother applying because it was only about $500 out of pocket and didn’t seem worth the effort, so I can’t tell you personally how hard it is to get reimbursed

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have done all the dengue tests....
They are a waste of time.

Go to bed... drink Ensure and Pedialyte ... sleep

After about 10 days , life will return.

There no cure or bonafide treatment

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Best prostrate doctor in the RD is to be found in Santiago:-

Dr. Raphael (Chancho) Estrelle
3rd Floor Union Medico - Room 301
809-241-0298

I'd argue Dr. Cruz Pineda en Cedimat is the best.

He is the only doctor in the CARIBBEAN who can do High Intensity Focused Ultrasound treatment for prostate cancer.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Update

First thanks to those who responded.

I ended up going to Clinica Abreu. Entered the front door on Independencia with the names of the three doctors recommended in this thread. Walked down the hallway and looked at each door to see if I saw the name of one of the doctors on my list.

First door - locked
Second door - not in today
Third door - Dr. Matos - receptionist says he will be in tomorrow around 1 PM

I come back the next day at 1 PM and told to come back in an hour so off to the malecon to have lunch I go. Come back at 2 PM and doc still not in so I sit down and wait. Doc shows up at 2:40 PM but good thing I arrived early as I was second on the waiting list.

No ten thousand forms to fill out beforehand, just sit and wait. See doc and he creates me an account on his laptop asking the usual questions. He does an exam and tells me to get x-rays. I stop at reception desk to settle bill and given instructions where in the same building, same floor to get x-rays. Even with health insurance I still needed some cash to take care of my co-pay.

I sign in at x-ray and in a few minutes they check my insurance and I have to pay 83 pesos co-pay. I can't believe this but the x-rays was 500 and change in pesos and insurance picked up 400 and change. That is a little over $10 USD for three x-rays.

Come back next day to pick up x-ray results. Handed a nice folder with the x-rays on a CD. Walk down the hallway and back in doctor office. My turn to see doc and he reviews everything and says all is well. No payment today as the x-ray review was included in initial visit cost.

Dr. Matos speaks very good English and I was very pleased with the recommendation.

So in closing, YES you can just do a walk-in at Clinica Abreu as most doctors do not require an appointment.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
First thanks to those who responded.

I ended up going to Clinica Abreu. Entered the front door on Independencia with the names of the three doctors recommended in this thread. Walked down the hallway and looked at each door to see if I saw the name of one of the doctors on my list.

First door - locked
Second door - not in today
Third door - Dr. Matos - receptionist says he will be in tomorrow around 1 PM

I come back the next day at 1 PM and told to come back in an hour so off to the malecon to have lunch I go. Come back at 2 PM and doc still not in so I sit down and wait. Doc shows up at 2:40 PM but good thing I arrived early as I was second on the waiting list.

No ten thousand forms to fill out beforehand, just sit and wait. See doc and he creates me an account on his laptop asking the usual questions. He does an exam and tells me to get x-rays. I stop at reception desk to settle bill and given instructions where in the same building, same floor to get x-rays. Even with health insurance I still needed some cash to take care of my co-pay.

I sign in at x-ray and in a few minutes they check my insurance and I have to pay 83 pesos co-pay. I can't believe this but the x-rays was 500 and change in pesos and insurance picked up 400 and change. That is a little over $10 USD for three x-rays.

Come back next day to pick up x-ray results. Handed a nice folder with the x-rays on a CD. Walk down the hallway and back in doctor office. My turn to see doc and he reviews everything and says all is well. No payment today as the x-ray review was included in initial visit cost.

Dr. Matos speaks very good English and I was very pleased with the recommendation.

So in closing, YES you can just do a walk-in at Clinica Abreu as most doctors do not require an appointment.

Oops. Sorry, I apparently forgot to mention Dr. Pablo Valdez hours are from 3 to 5 in the afternoon, M-F.

Before 3 you can find him in the clinic next to Lab. Referencia where he also does embassy/Consulate stuff.

Dr. Matos is an excellent doctor as well.

All the doctors in Abreu are walk in, but you need to know their hours and arrive a half hour or so ahead of time.

Now go to CEDIMAT and try out their appointment and payment system. It will drive you nuts.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

All the doctors in Abreu are walk in, but you need to know their hours and arrive a half hour or so ahead of time........

Now you tell me, LOL. Yes, I found out real quick the secret is to know their hours and as you mentioned arrive a little early to be on the top of the waiting list. The experience was good and I learned a few things.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I "walked in" a few years ago and didn't get out for a few days.... !!!!!!!

After several days at the local clinica w/ my Dengue....
they sent me to Sto Dom....

Too busy/no beds at CediMat....

Off to Clinica Abreu....
Was very nice.... food stunk...good care

Bird... you need to find a good nurse who'll make house calls.. assuming a doctor won't
Shouldn't that hard for a hospital hound like you!!

Suave Spanish Speaker and all !!!