Cobradores

Makinater

May 4, 2013
No the carros publicos are the 4 door toyotas made for 4 people and they stuff 8 or more in them. They have a taxi type thing ipn the roof and say Ruta XXXX . For twice the cost you can claim all the rider's side of the front seat if you get there first.

They usually stuff two people in the front (three with the driver), and four in the back seat. Six passengers and the Toyota Corolla is full, never seen 8 to be honest (if you are not talking about kids in their parents laps, of course).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
15x9tnm.jpg

i have seen 8 people in carro publico many times (including driver).

Aug 6, 2006
It is amazing how many rather large Dominicanos can be wedged into a Toyota Coaster designed for 15 diminutive Japanese.
I recall a scene on the narrow shoulder of a busy highway where a couple of passengers were disembarked through a small side window.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I am told that there are hand signals for the carros.. both for the drivers and the passangers.. Something like Fingers pointed down for going straight on up on Duarte.. Held in the air for going across the bridge.. complicated stuff. But this is the really Secret stuff. You get a printed guidebook, The secret decoder ring. The handshake. All that secret stuff. But the meetings on how to join.. and get that info.. well., they are secret.

But the info on finding a car with the front seat empty and paying double.. that is Not secret and makes for a perfect cab ride.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I am told that there are hand signals for the carros.. both for the drivers and the passangers.. Something like Fingers pointed down for going straight on up on Duarte.. Held in the air for going across the bridge.. complicated stuff. But this is the really Secret stuff. You get a printed guidebook, The secret decoder ring. The handshake. All that secret stuff. But the meetings on how to join.. and get that info.. well., they are secret.

But the info on finding a car with the front seat empty and paying double.. that is Not secret and makes for a perfect cab ride.
LMAO, that is so funny and so true. Only thing I have decoded is the number of fingers indicates how many more passengers can be crammed in the carro publico.

Another thing I still have not figured out is no one says anything but the driver knows when to pull over and let a passenger out. Never, ever exit the rear from the driver's side.

MA, if you ever crack the code send me a PM. LOL

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Most of these passengers are the same everyday. The driver knows them and where they get out.
Derfish, I am talking Santo Domingo. It is a different game down here. You can't get around town thinking only understanding a si and a no from a non-existent cobrador in a carro publico is going to make it. You screw up, and you learn.

The OP did ask, what others think of the transportation system in the DR.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
If you can afford it, take a taxi!
An "Air Conditioned Taxi"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

When you call for one, say "Un Carro FRIO< por favor" otherwise, they send one which has had the windows down all day and then he (I have never had a female cabbie here) rolls up the windows so that you bake, turns on the AC, and you get a breath of cool air just before you get to your destination.

That is the difference between asking for :un carro frio.. and asking for Un carro con aire./.

They usually stuff two people in the front (three with the driver), and four in the back seat. Six passengers and the Toyota Corolla is full, never seen 8 to be honest (if you are not talking about kids in their parents laps, of course).

Maybe it's a NC thing bc most times I go in one there are 8 people in it! My last one had 9. 4 in the front, I was sitting on both a guy and a girl and 5 in the back!

Makinater

May 4, 2013
15x9tnm.jpg

i have seen 8 people in carro publico many times (including driver).

Cool. Thought it was standard to accept six passengers and not more. Every carro p?blico I have taken since I was here the first time in 1987 has been like that (children excepted). But I never cease to get surprised here. Just out of curiosity - have this happened to you in many parts of the country, or is it a regional thing? I have only taken carro p?blicos in SD.

Makinater

May 4, 2013
Maybe it's a NC thing bc most times I go in one there are 8 people in it! My last one had 9. 4 in the front, I was sitting on both a guy and a girl and 5 in the back!

OMG. That's just horrible. I just asked dv8 about it if it were a regional thing, before I read your post. Like I said in my last post, I have only taken carros in SD, so that's everything I know (although I know the SD routes very well, too well if you ask me).

Makinater

May 4, 2013

When you screw up a couple of times not understanding the signs and end up in bad neighborhoods, you learn very fast :) The signals depend a lot on where you are, since they are mainly meant to show the passengers which route the carro is taking (e.g. a finger pointing to the right en la San Vicente on the way to Las Americas means that the carro is going to get on Las Americas and cross the bridge, while a finger straight up in the air means that he will cross Las Americas and go down towards 25 de Febrero).

So the signs are place bound, from my experiences, meaning that you have to learn what they mean on every single place where there are more than two routes operating. Number of available seats is a lot more understandable, and the waving sign towards the ground is just a tic, I suppose.

Best part of walking the streets is to watch the reactions when our 1.5 year old son decisively waves his little finger to show cobradores and carro p?blico drivers that we are not interested in boarding their vehicle.

OMG. That's just horrible. I just asked dv8 about it if it were a regional thing, before I read your post. Like I said in my last post, I have only taken carros in SD, so that's everything I know (although I know the SD routes very well, too well if you ask me).

I was a little shocked when the cab guy pulled over and this guy opened the door and wanted in next to me when we were already cramped with 3 in the front! I had to actually put my arm around him, before that I only was squished next to women. I feel bad b/c I am double most dominicans size!
I have never seen 8 in SD but I have only been there 4 times and always drive.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Just out of curiosity - have this happened to you in many parts of the country, or is it a regional thing? I have only taken carro p?blicos in SD.

the picture is of course from google search but i have seen 8 people in carro publico locally, between POP and sabaneta, to be precise. i never used public transport in santiago or SD, i either drive or take taxis. the most i have seen in a standard guagua was 27. pure joy.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I was in a "Publico" once about 25 years ago.
I was the only one in the car so I decided to "Light Up"!
The driver yelled "No,No, No", and pointed to a plastic gallon bottle on the floor,with a small hose running into it.
The "Gas Tank"!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC