Codetel Have Serious Problems - They Finally Admit it

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't you have a limit in DR too? from what i remember even codetel unlimited plan is, in fact, limited :)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Santiago is twice the distance then POP, but fairly consistent with Claro.

Lower ping time also!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
i do not know if it is good or bad but i know it is outrageously expensive. internet in the UK is way cheaper... :(
Speedy Gonzales (Carlos Slim) thanks you for helping make him the richest man in the world!
102pdls.jpg

Don

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

I am paying $rd 4100 per month with phone i am supposed to get 1.5 down 756 up
I'm on the 768 plan and have about the same service that you pay almost $1,000 pesos more per month. (I pay about $3,200 with VIP phone service)

These tests are so flaky.... following is a test I just did with speedtest.primus.ca

Last Result:
Download Speed: 1390 kbps (173.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 529 kbps (66.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 133 ms
Sunday, March 14, 2010 10:16:02 PM

Don

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
748905017.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm in between Cabarete & Sosua in Vista del Caribe. I subscribe to Delancer's cable internet. I've been very pleased with it.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Ladybird... try something.
I just reran the speedtest on speedtest.net changing the server for testing from sto domingo to atlanta.

Using Atlanta as the test server I got 1.56 down, .73 up - which is similar to results I got using speakeasy.

(after the test runs, there's an option to 'change server' at top right of the map image)

Yes, really interesting when you change test server:
Santo Domingo

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Oranjestad, Curacao

Miami, Florida

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Couriosity

And if you are just curious as to what speeds other people around the world were getting at the same time as you!

Simply add or subtract 1 form the long number in the copied link.
For instance:

Santiago / Santo Domingo - Claro

102pdls.jpg
This user is happy!

oneironaut

Dec 28, 2009
www.atomiczombie.com
Internet here slows when...

When it rains, the scotch tape seems to soak up the moisture and the random types of wire used from pole to pole begin to cross talk.

When the wind blows, the network cables bounce around, sometimes touching the bare AC wires, birds nests, wet trees, and many other interesting hazards.

Overheating pole transformers that have leaked out their cooling oil 10 years ago can also create problems, especially when 10 more "users" climb up the pole and "jack" into the system using anything that conducts.

Sometimes around suppertime, the flames from half barrel roasters are high enough to melt the network cables, which are strung over tree branches, laying on top of abandoned condos, or simply held to the pole using a bent nail.

Other than that, it usually works fairly well all considered!
Brad

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Mine is (just for bragging rights):

LOL, no really when I was in Santo Domingo I normally got the same speed as Robert's.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I have plan basico 2 here in the Capital,and have a download speed of near 800 kbps.
I also have a program called hide my ass,so I can get movies,tv streamed from US without a problem....when I use one of their servers,ie miami,charlotte,etc,my download speed almost doubles..this am it is 1.72 mbs ,upload is .26.from charlotte,nc.
I have no problems watching movies,tv channels,etc...I particularly like
the Comedy zone,Jon Stewart and steven colbert....among others.

bob

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Does anyone have a fix for banda ancha problem all of a sudden....using banda ancha claro,the internet icon will say connected and 5 bars are green,but no internet...have to unconnect,reconnect then ok for a while...then it starts over....reconnect,connect,but all the indicators show connected to internet.
bob

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Bob, what kind of modem do you have? I have a speed stream, and I frequently have the same problem.

I resolve it by going to the speedstream router page http://10.0.0.1/

if it does not show you as being logged in(point to point connectivity summary, along with an IP address) then you need to login in for your internet to work.

Just click on the login link, then enter the username: admin password: 1234
and it should connect and give you the connection IP.

That will get you back up and running. (if that's your problem)

JD,I am talking about only the banda ancha internet,using the USB banda ancha chip into the computer....If I use my modem,I never have a problem and is fairly fast...but with banda ancha,my speed is doubled,but just as it happened now,the computer says I am connected with banda ancha,but I get an error that says server disconnected...if I disconnect banda ancha,and reconnect,then all is good for another few moments....then it disconnects from server again....I have tried 3 different computers and 2 different banda ancha units,at 3 different locations,from SD to Bani to Samana....all act the same...........and Claro does not have a clue,and says all is ok with banda ancha,....but it is not so..Now on the other hand,if I only use my thompson modem, direct cable into PC or the wireless function,all is very good...

bob

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Does anyone have a fix for banda ancha problem all of a sudden....using banda ancha claro,the internet icon will say connected and 5 bars are green,but no internet...have to unconnect,reconnect then ok for a while...then it starts over....reconnect,connect,but all the indicators show connected to internet.
bob

How do you notice you don't have more Internet access? Pages suddenly stops loading? Does this happens while you are stationary with your laptop or are you moving around in a vehicle? Are your DNS settings correct? Does it specify which server was disconnected in the error?

Just trying to help a little.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
How do you notice you don't have more Internet access? Pages suddenly stops loading? Does this happens while you are stationary with your laptop or are you moving around in a vehicle? Are your DNS settings correct? Does it specify which server was disconnected in the error?

Just trying to help a little.

1, pages suddenly stop loading
2.Stationary,and also on my home pc
3.yes
4.no,but I suspect it is the one used by claro...

if I restart banda ancha,all is well again for a while...

now if I turn off banda ancha and switch to Thompson modem,everything is fine forever...
bob

carib

Jul 16, 2002
speed

Punta Cana
dowmload 0.67
up 0.12
ping 174
Paying for plan B (basico 2)... 768 expensive
carib

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Jarabacoa today

0,10 download
0,07 upload
speedtest done with Speakeast Speed Test

0,06 download
0,03 upload
speedtest done with Speed Test.net

A few weeks ago we went with the laptop and the stick for the x time to the office in La Vega to complain because we pay now for six months for 3,5 MB but as you see only get this speeds and we were determined to get something fixed that day...well...
After looking at the laptop they returned it and said everything was fine with it and that they had reset the stick.
The problem they said was that the signal wasn't maybe not that good where we lived. It had everything to do with that disk of theirs and where we lived, that was one of the employees speaking.

I wasn't done with them and turned on my laptop in the waitingroom and got a speed of 0,78 download under their tower. Then I did the speedtest on their I-Phone which was on display and I got a download speed of 1,6 MB which was already better but still not 3,5 MB...under their tower.
Tried to show them the results to prove that there was 1. a problem with my stick and 2. even with the I-phone they did not reach the 3,5 MB they promised.

The manager didn't even bothered to come from behind her desk to have a look. I asked if they could take a new stick and put it in my laptop to see what that gave but the answer was that they had to ask the manufacturar to do that...I started to really boil inside...they had to ask the manufacturar in CHINA???? for permission to put a new stick into my laptop to try???

Then I asked to change the contract. Since I was convinced that the stick was not working properly, I didn't ask for compensation but asked to change the contract and I was willing to buy two new Blackberries or I-phones with them so we could use those as modem (the 3G+ package)

After that question, they just ignored us, not willing to speak anymore to us and only said that if we would break the contract or change it, we would have to pay a damage fee.

It would be nice to get a refund for all the months I paid for the 3,5 MB plan which I never got or at least to be able to change to the 3G+ package. Maybe with some testemonies from like you, Ladybird? I can go to the office in La Vega to let him see that there are offices and managers who are willing to cooperate with their customers as it should go?

Peter