Coffee on El Conde

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I am sorry to say, but Starbucks has evolved into an overpriced cup of brown water, the last three times I tried to drink a cup, I had to get a booster espresso shot added for it to taste anything like coffee.

I'll take my Cafe Santo Domingo with a few Hazelnut beans ground in any day over some overpriced Starbucks colored water!

You know what's funny Tambo?? I went to Starbucks yesterday and while all of the nearby business were empty, Starbucks was full with no place to sit (not kidding) which I figured were college kids and corporative employees, the drive thru had a cue of about 6 cars and all of that is in Nevada and it's 14% unemployment rate. Sometimes I wonder if they are putting some "magical powder" in their coffee.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Is it my imagination or does Monte Alto, which I really like, have a slight moca or cholate taste. As you say, very smooth and the Aroma....mmmmm.
I know for a fact they take the BEST, most perfect beans for themselves and wholesale the rest to other processors. Those perfect cherries is what they use to start more small plants for their extensive land holdings.

They don't do a super dark roast. The chemical composition lends itself to a lower acid drink that is super smooth. It's interesting how after drinking Monte Alto other coffees taste like acidic mud...but that floats some folk's boats.

They also private label coffees for export. One such coffee is flavored...and is sometimes available only in their coffee shop in Vanilla, Hazelnut and Mocha. The CB household does the flavored coffees every day...absolutely yummy.

Monte Alto is truly a Premium coffee by any definition. It's hard to find away from Jarabacoa, however. They just don't produce enough for the mass market.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
no comment, I can only agree to Cobraboy's comments....

I'm a coffee-addict, but was suffering from the acidity... untill I tasted Monte Alto... I can happily admit to drinking several... euhhh... multiple cups of coffee one after another... without any hassle but with great taste...

I'm sold on this coffee....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You know what's funny Tambo?? I went to Starbucks yesterday and while all of the nearby business were empty, Starbucks was full with no place to sit (not kidding) which I figured were college kids and corporative employees, the drive thru had a cue of about 6 cars and all of that is in Nevada and it's 14% unemployment rate. Sometimes I wonder if they are putting some "magical powder" in their coffee.

In Belleville Ontario there is a Starbucks attached to the Chapters bookstore and it does a good business, but nothing compared to the 15 or more Tim Hortons. I know numerous people who have to have their Timmys in the morning.