Cold and Flu Meds

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Flu shots , People.... flu shots.

I missed last year and was struck almost dead w/ the gripe............... AWFUL!!!

Good advice!! Anyone these days blaming it on the shot is not current.
I work in an office here in Tampa/ St. Pete. They pass stuff around every year. This year is different. The flu hasn't even hit here yet but folks are having a powerful sinus virus--very ill. They are no sooner over that than they're hit with a" walking death" virus. One is accompanied with a voice change, the other not. Don't be fooled!! Niether is the flu!!!
Be very careful and get your flu shot noW!!!!!!
As for remedies in the DR. It's the same as anywhere else. You can go to the nearest colomado and ask for 2 Rapido--(their cure for a hangover-active ingrediant is Acidamedifine (Tylenol)--). Or you can just do the age old best thing of somehow influxing vitiams; Hot RELAXING tea with plenty of limons, honey(miel in the DR) and a good stiff add of brandy or Brugal. After that, call your Mommie!
Stay Well My Friend!! Drink fluids.

Dec 26, 2011
Te de cebolla con canela:

A few cinnamon sticks, half an onion(preferably red, but white's ok), boiled on high heat in six cups of water.

You can throw in a couple cloves of of garlic(pierced) too.

Sweeten with honey or sugar.

Good for the nasal and bronchial passages.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
My son got a bad ear infection and had a terrible fever when we were in Puerto Plata last time and I was able to go to the pharmacy without a prescription and talk to the pharmacist about his symptoms.... they gave me antibiotics and drops for him plus some great decongestant and fever tablets. If you go see the pharmacist I'm sure they'll fix you up with something equivalent to what you'd find at home. I have seen American brands in La Sirena and at the tourist stores in Playa Dorada... they carried a small stock of the big brans like Tylenol etc...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
could have been dengue. we have another outbreak with all the rain. daughter of our maid is in a hospital and when i was in the emergency yesterday i heard about more patients with dengue...
So what is the dengue fever symptoms? I had been having this cold for past couple of weeks now. Folk would tell me I'll know when I catch one with all the vomiting and flu like symptoms but I have nothing like that now. I have never vomited and I don't have flu like symptoms. I just have very bad coughs in the middle of night that wakes me up and I do have that disgusting mucus in throat when ever it gets out it leaves terrible tastes in my mouth. And now it seems like I am about go through another excruciating pain on my right side of head (between around my left eye and ear) which I went through earlier this year. Man if it resembles remotely similar to what I went through earlier this year, I am going to have a very very bad time in States. :(

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
OH MY GOD!!!!!!
I think I have just caught a Dengue Fever...
I've been doing some research for a hour and it all points to being positive for Dengue. :(

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
symptoms are easy: high fever and general body pain plus some headaches. sometimes rash. you'd feel weak and slow.

dengue is spread by them tiger mosquitoes. little bastards have stripy legs. look at the ones you have at home, their presence would point towards dengue diagnosis (but not necessarily, i have those mosquitoes at home and no dengue here).

it is best if you go to a hospital. they will do a blood test. low white blood cell count would have you hospitalized, usually. they should also run an x-ray to check for the cough (maybe is is bronco pneumonia). in case of dengue you'd need few days of IVs to improve hydration. maybe some acetaminophen for the pain and fever, but there is nothing specific for dengue treatment.

important thing is not to panic. dengue in most cases in not much different than a common cold.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
symptoms are easy: high fever and general body pain plus some headaches. sometimes rash. you'd feel weak and slow.

dengue is spread by them tiger mosquitoes. little bastards have stripy legs. look at the ones you have at home, their presence would point towards dengue diagnosis (but not necessarily, i have those mosquitoes at home and no dengue here).

it is best if you go to a hospital. they will do a blood test. low white blood cell count would have you hospitalized, usually. they should also run an x-ray to check for the cough (maybe is is bronco pneumonia). in case of dengue you'd need few days of IVs to improve hydration. maybe some acetaminophen for the pain and fever, but there is nothing specific for dengue treatment.

important thing is not to panic. dengue in most cases in not much different than a common cold.

I believe it's the second time I am going through dengue, I was just too stupid to ignore it at the first time. I have taken some Tylenol and spoon full of Hidrochloride that my employee bought me that supposed to help me ease my pain and lessen my cough so I don't feel like getting shot in my head with bullet every time I caugh.

I don't think we have Dengue problem at home with all the screens everywhere and me spraying every week or two, but mosquitoes in Moca had been feasting on my blood everyday for a year. Those suckers are crazy I noticed they bite through clothing whenever I spay some repellents on my arms. Office is fine but when ever I do actual work I get the most bites and when ever it rains. When will it stop. :(

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I believe it's the second time I am going through dengue, I was just too stupid to ignore it at the first time. I have taken some Tylenol and spoon full of Hidrochloride that my employee bought me that supposed to help me ease my pain and lessen my cough so I don't feel like getting shot in my head with bullet every time I caugh.
You might want to consider getting some Nebocaina or Angi-Med to help anesthetize your throat a bit and avoid coughing your lungs out, then developing a nice case of bronquitis. (Been there, done that. Ain't fun!)

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
You might want to consider getting some Nebocaina or Angi-Med to help anesthetize your throat a bit and avoid coughing your lungs out, then developing a nice case of bronquitis. (Been there, done that. Ain't fun!)
I forgot to put exact name of the medicine. I read that Ambroxol MK - Hidrochloride (I am taking this) is something to help my throat? Talking about medicine... It's about time to take another dose of Tylenol and Ambroxol...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
amboxol helps with the cough by getting rod of the mucus, to put it simply. will not do harm in your case. keep on taking this and tylenol and most importantly: hydrate. drink as much fluids as you can take. preferably coconut water, excellent natural way to combat dehydration. if you do not have that get gatorade or, even better, powdered suero: slightly salty but very effective, you buy a packet, dissolve in one liter of water and drink. about 50 pesos per packet.
if there is no change within a day or two haul your butt to the nearest doctor for a checkup. i normally do not panic over a cold unless it last too long and symptoms do not go away with home remedies. so do not fret :)

also, i recommend hot water with honey and lemon. great home treatment :) and crush some garlic into your food :)

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks D...

I will not be taking any coconut water due to it's natural laxative component. I have tried to drink couple of times and I do enjoy it's naturally cool and refreshing taste, but I'll have to pass this time. I will play safe and take Gatorade and onion lemon honey tea for now. And as Korean our monthly garlic consumption should equals yearly consumption of some dr1 members so I don't think sprinkle a little more shouldn't be problem. :)