College Tuition in the DR

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Dental also, but something that she is interested in because if it's only for the money what's the point?

Are you kidding?

She lives in a third world country, in a family described as very poor.

It's not at all like the loosey-goosey, "go with where your inner spirit leads you" career counseling we give our kids - in the middle of a recession nonetheless.

Dentistry could make her (and her family) financially independent homeowners with pesos collecting interest within a decade, and you want to blow it off?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Are you kidding?

She lives in a third world country, in a family described as very poor.

It's not at all like the loosey-goosey, "go with where your inner spirit leads you" career counseling we give our kids - in the middle of a recession nonetheless.

Dentistry could make her (and her family) financially independent homeowners with pesos collecting interest within a decade, and you want to blow it off?

Learn to read. I'm the one that suggested Dentistry, and I'm well aware of the high unemployment in the DR, as well as job opportunities for women. You are stating the obvious, but people do better at things they enjoy. She may very well enjoy one of professions that people here are recommending. My wife was from one of those poor, poor families, and today she is doing quite well employing 40 plus people. If she listened to all the people that said not to do this or that she'd still be poor.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Learn to read. I'm the one that suggested Dentistry, and I'm well aware of the high unemployment in the DR, as well as job opportunities for women. You are stating the obvious, but people do better at things they enjoy. She may very well enjoy one of professions that people here are recommending. My wife was from one of those poor, poor families, and today she is doing quite well employing 40 plus people. If she listened to all the people that said not to do this or that she'd still be poor.

Ok, bob how about this? Mortuary Sciences? Thats what they call it in the US. A funeral parlor is lucrative in the US. or a Crematorium. It may not be a college instructed program, but why not, Tourism and Hospitality Services is and that is BULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLCheese! I ll say it again. But if shes one of these superstitious Dominicans, forget it. And then a career I think will be HUGE here one day Environmental Sciences. A natural sciences program would equip here for something like that. I dont know what an Industrial Psychologist nor an Industrial Engineer is. In America, Industrial Engineer is a fancy title for janitor(maintenance technician or some equivalent).
HB,Whats that you said? 1300 pesos a month for UASD? Hmm, lemme drag some poor girl off the streets and tell her to go to school. haha!
But seriously Batman, you re going to have to TELL her what to study instead of getting input from her. I v heard that Designer thing from a few women I ve met and just like to you and everyone I thought it was cornball. If you leave it up to her she will waste your money and think nothing of it.

Oh and BocaChica its Racer X, M.D. All I need is one of them Sunday night teledramas on CBS with a stodgey old fogey type who complains and wheezes alot to complement my young ethnically hip demographic.

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
Just to be clear, this student is not the one that was interested in Interior Design. This one has told me she wanted to be a teacher since the first day I met her. I did some checking around today with a Dominican guy who runs a school here, and he gave me some background, and hooked me up with a young woman that is currently attending UASD in Costambar.

Here are some of the things I heard in these discussions:

The reputation of UASD, and the education one receives there are both quite good.

The tuition is ridiculously cheap (like 100 pesos a month, or a semester, or something) depending on the program choice. Books and fees are extra, but it didn?t sound like they were that significant.

The major cost barrier is the transportation costs, and time in transit. It costs 55 pesos (and 3 vehicles) to get there from Cabarete, and 135 peso to get home at night (4 vehicles).

The public university is not very welcoming, and the process of enrolling and figuring out what you have to do is somewhat difficult and pretty intimidating, especially for poor students from the public school system. Evidently no one from the public university goes to the schools to recruit students and describe the process. Everyone must learn it on their own (by going to the registrar, etc), or finding someone that has to buddy up with.

The private university is a little more user friendly, and it is easier to get through in 4 years (something that was described as impossible at the public university due to a lack of teachers, especially in some programs, this woman was studying to be a math teacher, and many of her teachers had to come in from Santiago or Santo Domingo, which meant students needed flexible schedules), but the tuition is quite a bit more, and from what I heard (I don?t know if it is true or not) the education received there was not as good.

Back to my student. I offered to pay this woman to help my student through the process of getting enrolled (again, from what I heard, tough love ?you need to figure this out?? would be expecting too much for a girl in her situation, in fact now that I think about it I bet she has never even been to Puerto Plata before...most of these kids have not been more than 10 miles from Cabarete), showing her around, and just helping her get established.

We started with an interview with the girl and the student, and at the conclusion of the interview it was decided she was just too young to right now, and we would pick it up again next year.

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Just to be clear, this student is not the one that was interested in Interior Design. This one has told me she wanted to be a teacher since the first day I met her. I did some checking around today with a Dominican guy who runs a school here, and he gave me some background, and hooked me up with a young woman that is currently attending UASD in Costambar.

Here are some of the things I heard in these discussions:

The reputation of UASD, and the education one receives there are both quite good.

The tuition is ridiculously cheap (like 100 pesos a month, or a semester, or something) depending on the program choice. Books and fees are extra, but it didn?t sound like they were that significant.

The major cost barrier is the transportation costs, and time in transit. It costs 55 pesos (and 3 vehicles) to get there from Cabarete, and 135 peso to get home at night (4 vehicles).

The public university is not very welcoming, and the process of enrolling and figuring out what you have to do is somewhat difficult and pretty intimidating, especially for poor students from the public school system. Evidently no one from the public university goes to the schools to recruit students and describe the process. Everyone must learn it on their own (by going to the registrar, etc), or finding someone that has to buddy up with.

The private university is a little more user friendly, and it is easier to get through in 4 years (something that was described as impossible at the public university due to a lack of teachers, especially in some programs, this woman was studying to be a math teacher, and many of her teachers had to come in from Santiago or Santo Domingo, which meant students needed flexible schedules), but the tuition is quite a bit more, and from what I heard (I don?t know if it is true or not) the education received there was not as good.

Back to my student. I offered to pay this woman to help my student through the process of getting enrolled (again, from what I heard, tough love ?you need to figure this out?? would be expecting too much for a girl in her situation, in fact now that I think about it I bet she has never even been to Puerto Plata before...most of these kids have not been more than 10 miles from Cabarete), showing her around, and just helping her get established.

We started with an interview with the girl and the student, and at the conclusion of the interview it was decided she was just too young to right now, and we would pick it up again next year.

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts.

The first year at UASD is the hardest. Because they get students from all over the country with no standard education( other than the government test they write) , the first year is math....etc usually at a higher standard than they've learned in high school. Once she's though the first year of common core subjects, she'll be able to do her degree stuff. It is true that teachers are not the highest paid but if she wants to be a teacher because she feels the calling then she is what the DR needs more of.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Racer X,

You are correct in that there are more profitable careers (all mentioned here) than teacher. I recommended teacher on the basis of what I read in the original post, re background, earlier education and connections.

I have also experienced that a there are a lot of unemployed laywers and engineers in this country, not to mention the commercial or accounting types. The truth is that there are not enough jobs to go around for all the students. Those who enter into a financially sound career are those that are in some way connected.

It is also true that given a choice the employer looks for the best degree, thus PUCMM and other prestigious degrees are given preference over the ' cheaper' universities.

So yes, medicine, engineering and law seem good choices, but only when taken at a prestigious university, which will cost more than the OP seems intent on paying.

There is however always need for teachers and it is a sure way to get a job. The teachers are not paid a lot, but it is a respected occupation and they are almost guaranteed a job. The current rate for a full-time teacher is at least RD$ 11,000 a month.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Racer X,

You are correct in that there are more profitable careers (all mentioned here) than teacher. I recommended teacher on the basis of what I read in the original post, re background, earlier education and connections.

I have also experienced that a there are a lot of unemployed laywers and engineers in this country, not to mention the commercial or accounting types. The truth is that there are not enough jobs to go around for all the students. Those who enter into a financially sound career are those that are in some way connected.

It is also true that given a choice the employer looks for the best degree, thus PUCMM and other prestigious degrees are given preference over the ' cheaper' universities.

So yes, medicine, engineering and law seem good choices, but only when taken at a prestigious university, which will cost more than the OP seems intent on paying.

There is however always need for teachers and it is a sure way to get a job. The teachers are not paid a lot, but it is a respected occupation and they are almost guaranteed a job. The current rate for a full-time teacher is at least RD$ 11,000 a month.

Another advantage of teaching in the public system is the pension, which few in the private sector in the DR get.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
what you want to do sounds complicated man. I dont think you re going to be successful because there is too much legwork that has to be done and you re not here to give moral support or actual support in completing it. Financial support is worthless without the rest. She has to meet you at least halfway if not 80% of the way for you to warrant an investment of this sort.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Racer X,

You re right about the large quantity of lawyers, engineers and such who are unemployed or not employed in their trained profession but it is better to be an unemployed lawyer waiting for an opportunity versus an unemployed interior decorator waiting for a wealthy client from the US to give you money to do her house. Dont get me started on Accounting. It sounds like a good idea, but seriously, who balances the books here? You know they say Garbage in, garbage out. Who knows what accounting rules or procedures exist in this country? Accounting 101: A. Take the money, B. put it in your pocket, C. Screw everyone else. I got an A+ in that class.
But like you say by and large, doesnt matter what you study, if you re not connected, there may be a long hard road in front of you. And if she s a poor girl from the countryside..."Old Man River, that old man river......."

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You re right about the large quantity of lawyers, engineers and such who are unemployed or not employed in their trained profession but it is better to be an unemployed lawyer waiting for an opportunity versus an unemployed interior decorator waiting for a wealthy client from the US to give you money to do her house. Dont get me started on Accounting. It sounds like a good idea, but seriously, who balances the books here? You know they say Garbage in, garbage out. Who knows what accounting rules or procedures exist in this country? Accounting 101: A. Take the money, B. put it in your pocket, C. Screw everyone else. I got an A+ in that class.
But like you say by and large, doesnt matter what you study, if you re not connected, there may be a long hard road in front of you. And if she s a poor girl from the countryside..."Old Man River, that old man river......."

Actually a well trained accountant versed in the government labour rules, AFP...etc are rare and can make a decent living. As the government becomes better at collecting taxes, with their computerized databases, having a good accountant is being highly necessary for businesses.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
I think that the tuition at USAD is a little more than 100 Pesos a month if somebody is studying a real career and not just taking an English course..

our friend is not taking an english course... and is in fact studying a "real career" in education. and that's what we pay. directly to the uasd. in the bursar's office.

and an english course at the uasd is INCLUDED in the tuition. but in an institute it will cost more than most "real careers"

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Actually a well trained accountant versed in the government labour rules, AFP...etc are rare and can make a decent living. As the government becomes better at collecting taxes, with their computerized databases, having a good accountant is being highly necessary for businesses.

Oh bob, I hear you BUT you made a future inference "when they become better at collecting taxes..." We ll see. I dont know though. I had a friend in Mexico, who studied accounting and she was hard-pressed for work. 100,000,000 people and nothing but poverty. And the hard part(for me)was to listen to her speak capitalist all the time when she was clearly not benefitting from any of the seminars, nor self-empowerment classes she was paying for.
But still I m not sure. I think when they computerize everything the money will still come up short. But I did like that Dentist recommendation. Dental work is cheap here and really good looking.

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
what you want to do sounds complicated man. I dont think you re going to be successful because there is too much legwork that has to be done and you re not here to give moral support or actual support in completing it. Financial support is worthless without the rest. She has to meet you at least halfway if not 80% of the way for you to warrant an investment of this sort.

Well, now that Robert has closed the Darcy thread (how anti-climatic was that anyway...:ermm:...I went through 3 boxes of popcorn waiting for something to happen, and it never did), I guess life can get back to normal on the more mundane topics.

I WAS making plans to have support available for her. I have someone that I trust with the money here, and I was setting up a mentor. Both of these people are in a much better position to lend practical support than I would be (whether I lived here or not).

It is like the Habitat for Humanity deal. Once a year my engineer co-workers and I head out to work on a house. We usually get assigned something like grass or something, and as we are standing out in the yard, arguing about which direction the grass should be unrolled, there is one thing that we all always agree on. That we are glad we don't have to live in that house (especially knowing the accounting dept installed the doors, and the systems analysts did the framing).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Oh bob, I hear you BUT you made a future inference "when they become better at collecting taxes..." We ll see. I dont know though. I had a friend in Mexico, who studied accounting and she was hard-pressed for work. 100,000,000 people and nothing but poverty. And the hard part(for me)was to listen to her speak capitalist all the time when she was clearly not benefiting from any of the seminars, nor self-empowerment classes she was paying for.
But still I m not sure. I think when they computerize everything the money will still come up short. But I did like that Dentist recommendation. Dental work is cheap here and really good looking.

Well they've already got better each of the last 2 years at collecting, not better at spending though( on useful things like education) I know several young ladies(early 20's) that I've know since they were in their mid-teens. Both are accountants- one for a very sucessful store in Jarabacoa, and one working in Banco Popular in Santo Domingo. They both make respectable dollars. Both are very good on computers, very organized and good at what they do. My wife's cousin's daughter is in her second year of Public relations/marketing (UASD) She has already been offered a job with an American company. Her older sister is a doctor. These people also come from a very poor background, but religious and hardworking parents that are strict with their children. Their brother is in his third year of Computer engineering. All of them took English at first opportunity and the youngest two are fluent. People that want to succeed don't let being poor be an obstacle to big to overcome. Then there's the other side of my wife's family - we won't talk about them.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
These people also come from a very poor background, but religious and hardworking parents that are strict with their children. ..... People that want to succeed don't let being poor be an obstacle to big to overcome.

i think that this might be the key.

if kids don't have an example of hardwork, they probably won't be hardworkers. and if their parents (or SOMEONE) doesn't support and encourage them its like fighting a losing battle.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Well, now that Robert has closed the Darcy thread (how anti-climatic was that anyway...:ermm:...I went through 3 boxes of popcorn waiting for something to happen, and it never did), I guess life can get back to normal on the more mundane topics.

I WAS making plans to have support available for her. I have someone that I trust with the money here, and I was setting up a mentor. Both of these people are in a much better position to lend practical support than I would be (whether I lived here or not).

It is like the Habitat for Humanity deal...

Yea that post did suck. Just a bunch of "I cant believe I trusted that guy. I m so crestfallen."
Anyhoooooooo....I thnk being here is important. If you re going to be her savior, man, you re going to have to stay on it. Or what you want to happen will not occur. Think of it this way. For every 1 person steering you on the right path, there are 15 trying to corrupt you. Now no one in her family has gone to school. She may not know anyone who has gone to school. But you want to give the money to a person you trust but arent sure they can get the job done pragmatically. YOU have to be here, you cannot mentor someone by proxy. I mean in a 4 year program there will be so many distractions that if you are not this candidate and sure of their aspirations, ambitions, and intentions, I would comfortably say it isnt worth it. Just my 3000 rupees.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
i think that this might be the key.

if kids don't have an example of hardwork, they probably won't be hardworkers. and if their parents (or SOMEONE) doesn't support and encourage them its like fighting a losing battle.

I like this one better.
I hear you Bob, lack of money is not a hindrance, lack of ambition is. Ok I dig that. I tried to do what tommy tried to do here, but it was like "you dont understand me..." and so on and so forth. I pay for you to go to school but you want to study Tourism and Hospitality(hence my bias). I think its an idiot career, especially in Santiago. And then other one, "I want to study Interior Decorating."(although her aunt does it and spends all day making curtains when she can find a client with enough money). I have a friend Raul that I used to work with in Brooklyn. When he got upset he would always say a phrase just like this "Yaaaaaaa me BOYYYYYY!!!!!!"

So what I have taken to doing is looking for the persons who have completed a semester or 2 so you can get an idea of their intent to finish and what their interests may be. 100 pesos a month, according to Lindsey isnt much, considered the Xeroxed books(photostat? How old are you man?). And I think transportation costs should be left to the student(granted they live IN the pueblo) as consequence of betterment. You gotta sacrifice too this aint all manna from heaven. I used to walk to school when I was an undergrad in Albany in order to save money, 2 miles each way. I would leave about 6 to get there before 8, drink alot of water. Man, I was skinny then, 183lbs.

And would someone please tell what is Industrial Psychology? I hear it and I think "Analyze This" meets "I, Robot". And also, why do they give licensiados en Mercandeo? Didnt you just learn how to be a salesman? Administracion de empresa, ok, big whoop. They have the same fraudulent program in the US, my cousin did it.

Aug 21, 2007
RacerX, I pay 1,300 a month, not 100. I didn't check back through the thread to see if it was my error or yours. If I mistakenly put 100, I apologize, but I pay RD 1,300 per month for tuition at the private university in Puerto Plata.....sorry, I am too lazy at the moment to go to my file and look up the name of the school.

Lindsey