Columbus book report

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
I?ve just finished an incredible book on Columbus, titled Admiral of the Ocean Sea, by Samuel Eliot Morison. Non-fiction. The author was part of the Harvard Columbus Expedition of 0f 1939-1940 in which they retrace Columbus?routes in his four voyages. The insight into the history of the times, the discoveries made(including Hispanola) and the methods used during these historic explorations is incredible for sailors and non-sailors alike. It is a fascinating, well researched work and should be interesting and educational to all of those who have an interest in the DR and the history of the new world. :pirate:

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Thanks

for the reference. I'm going to see if I can find it on Amazon. I'm always looking for DR related books, fiction & non-fiction.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That is the standard for a good fairly drawn description of the time and the person. Morrison was an admiral in the US Navy and knew things maritime.

One of my favorite books, all time.

On my shelf!!

HB

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Thanks for the review...I'm going to order it asap! My favorite book on Columbus is "The Last Voyage of Columbus...Being the Epic Tale of the Great Captain's Fourth Expedition, Including Accounts of Mutiny, Shipwreck, and Discovery" by Martin Dugard ..but this one sounds great.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Ordered the 1942 (original) edition, used of course, from Amazon's network of resellers, for less than $10, including shipping.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Thanks for the review...I'm going to order it asap! My favorite book on Columbus is "The Last Voyage of Columbus...Being the Epic Tale of the Great Captain's Fourth Expedition, Including Accounts of Mutiny, Shipwreck, and Discovery" by Martin Dugard ..but this one sounds great.
It's also my favorite. I think I wrote a review of that book. I'll check.

-NALs

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Hope you all enjoy it. For me, sitting on the beach in Isabella reading was pretty darn cool.