Coming soon: Pay your fine for crossing a red light, or you wont be able to travel

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Red-Light-Pixabay-871x1024.png

The National Institute of Transit and Land Transportation (Intrant) will install intelligent traffic lights this year to ensure that those who run a red light pay a fine. Diario Libre reports the Intrant is preparing the system that will send the violators notifications to their domiciles.

Intrant director Rafael Arias says the new lights will detect when a vehicle, including a motorcycle, passes in red. It will register the vehicle with a photo, highlighting the license plate area, which will allow identifying who it belongs to and the address, regardless of the time when the infraction is committed.

“If this offender does not pay the fine, he/she will not be able to renew their driver’s license, the vehicle permit to drive (marbete) or the insurance of the vehicle. The person will not obtain a certificate of No Delinquency or leave the country, warned the official when...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Peterj

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I won't even start with reasons why it will never work...what a joke (some persons will drive a new jeepeta after this project)
I remember 4 or 5 years ago they would educate mechanics to execute the annual check of cars (Revista)....not 1 stikker has even been printed...
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
So who will be fined by the automatic cameras? The car owner, by the placa? Somebody tell me what percentage of Dominicans drive cars registered in their names. What address will it be sent to? WTF?

It looks like Abinader and his Government live in a parallel Universe in their parallel DR. They start a bunch of new projects, new rules and new laws every day, but none of them will work. Just look at their 'Cyclovia' crap in Santo Domingo, maybe they think that Santo Domingo is another Amsterdam, but in fact now only mopeds use their cyclovia at full speed like crazy, and other drivers use two lanes instead of three like before, that makes traffic even worse.

The country is a one giant garbage dump, police is a bunch of uniformed beggars, and instead of cleaning up this mess little by little, they build cyclovias and discuss monorail trains and other futuristic crap that nobody needs here. What's next, Dominican Space Station or Dominican Mars Mission? Mr President, wake up!

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
I totally agree, this is such a joke. Although I really hope that it will work as it's so annoying especially with all those motos that you almost crash into just because they run a red light.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
A lot of motos and cars don't have license plates. Maybe they should work on that problem first(?).
Regarding motos, even if they have a license plate, the name in the matricula is not the name of the actual owner in 99.9% cases. But anyway, people who drive those mopeds, they don't have drivers license to renew, as well as they don't travel internationally, so they don't give a fcuck. The only measure they will understand is if their mopeds will be confiscated and destroyed, but nobody in the Government has the balls to do that.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Regarding motos, even if they have a license plate, the name in the matricula is not the name of the actual owner in 99.9% cases. But anyway, people who drive those mopeds, they don't have drivers license to renew, as well as they don't travel internationally, so they don't give a fcuck. The only measure they will understand is if their mopeds will be confiscated and destroyed, but nobody in the Government has the balls to do that.
True. This new plan won't work for motos. They do regularly confiscate motos here on the north coast for infractions though.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
hey do regularly confiscate motos here on the north coast for infractions though.
That's a drop in the ocean. They confiscate ten motos per hundreds of thousand infractions.

I live in Santo Domingo, EVERY minute on EVERY intersection in the city a few motos are driving through a red light. So that new high tech photo system must be able to give THOUSANDS OF TICKETS PER HOUR for Santo Domingo alone, if they include fines for motos in that system. And then mail them where to? LOL.

Nothing good happens when third world countries try to do first world things. They just make clowns of themselves, this Government, I actually could laugh like crazy at them if I lived somewhere else, but unfortunately I live here, so all this crap makes me really sad.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
They have exactly the same system in the UK and it works perfectly. Also issues fines for speeding. There seems to be a trend on this board that every time the government introduces something new, people just say "it won't work". I for one think this is a good idea. We know that many many deaths are caused on the roads. Anything which deters dangerous driving is great, sure it may not work in every case but if it stops just a few deaths each week it's worth every cent.

Reactions: Billp16

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
That's a drop in the ocean. They confiscate ten motos per hundreds of thousand infractions.

I live in Santo Domingo, EVERY minute on EVERY intersection in the city a few motos are driving through a red light. So that new high tech photo system must be able to give THOUSANDS OF TICKETS PER HOUR for Santo Domingo alone, if they include fines for motos in that system. And then mail them where to? LOL.

Nothing good happens when third world countries try to do first world things. They just make clowns of themselves, this Government, I actually could laugh like crazy at them if I lived somewhere else, but unfortunately I live here, so all this crap makes me really sad.

Well, they are going to try to make the motorcyclists wear these vests aren't they? And the police usually don't have issues finding people if they have their cedula, so I presume if there is a fine issued the violators will be found. Usually where there is money involved things get moving.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
They have exactly the same system in the UK and it works perfectly. Also issues fines for speeding. There seems to be a trend on this board that every time the government introduces something new, people just say "it won't work". I for one think this is a good idea. We know that many many deaths are caused on the roads. Anything which deters dangerous driving is great, sure it may not work in every case but if it stops just a few deaths each week it's worth every cent.

Well, the reason why we are all a bit sceptic about these "reforms" might be because we know the local situation and UK and DR is not the same in ANY way.
We can just take it from the top.
First of all, there are already laws that prohibit anyone from running a red light and gives DIGESETT agents the right to fine you. Here in Sosúa for the past 10 years, it's very rare to see those DIGESETT agents out on the streets actually dealing with the issue. And I find that kind of interesting, because if they were interested in actually doing something about it. They would take their officers and place them in locations where it is very common to break traffic laws. Instead basically the only times I've seen them, they are outside their office or close by, maybe once a month. It's actually a standing joke, that DIGESETT(former AMET) only appears when it's Payday, to get some extra cash in their pockets. So if the ones responsible for upholding the law would actually do their job it would be noticeable.
Then we have the supposed "consequences". Let's just establish something first, the VAST majority, I would even say 90-95% of those running a red light are motos. So then how would those consequences affect motos?
“If this offender does not pay the fine, he/she will not be able to renew their driver’s license". First of all, there are A LOT of moto drivers who don't have a valid license and also the licenses are normally valid for at least 5 years, so then that person won't be bothered in 5 years. "the vehicle permit to drive (marbete)",Motos doesn't have Marbetes, so that's not relevant. "or the insurance of the vehicle." Same as the one with the license, A LOT of moto drivers don't have a valid insurance. So many times have I heard stories of friends and others who have had an accident with a moto, and they have asked the "gringo" for money and when they are asked to show insurance they have just dropped the claim, just because they don't have any insurance that is required by LAW.
"The person will not obtain a certificate of No Delinquency or leave the country," Then we have this, yeah if they're applying for a job sometimes they are required to get a certificate of "No delinquency", but I would guess it's quite rare. Leave the country?? Those who drive moto doesn't normally have the funds to be able to travel abroad or get all required documents to be able to leave, so that's kind of irrelevant.
Then we have the issue that has already been brought up. A vast majority doesn't drive vehicles that are registered in their own name. As it's a very common practice that if you sell your car, the new owners doesn't register it but keeps the same registration information. I once owned a vehicle that had 5 owners between me and the registered owner, and because it was such a hassle trying to register it to my name it wasn't worth it. Owned another vehicle where the sellers had bought it from someone that my wife went to school with and he didn't live in the country anymore and was totally unaware that he was still registered to that vehicle. Also there because there was so inconvenient to register to my name I didn't do that, and I sold that car later on and I can still see that it is registered to the original owner.
So then if they are just going to use the numberplate to register ALOT of innocent people will be fined, just because they are still the registered owners to the vehicle.
So these are some of the reasons this WON'T work. The only ones that will be affected are those who have done everything 100% to the law, and normally those people won't run a red light. I would probably be affected by these new cameras, but I don't run red lights (only at night when there is no traffic to speak of).
You could make an analogy of this. When building a house you don't start with the roof, you start with the foundation. With "reforms"/"solutions" like these, it's like they are fixing the roof when they should actually begin at the bottom and try to fix the foundation, the root issue. Educate their officers, make sure that at least they obey the law 100%, get those officers out on the streets. Make everyone to register their vehicles, and stuff like that.

But then we are in DR.

• Wow
Reactions: Sailor51

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nothing ever changes, until it does.

At least they linked the data bases between Intrant and Migracion.

How it works, remains to be seen. Not well, I expect.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Great idea but it won't work. We all know that - They don't enforce helmet laws so what makes you think they will enforce another law no one complies with ?

Most moto operators have no license and have no intention of ever getting one
They have no insurance, and have no intention of getting it
The only way to enforce red light infractions is to have police at red lights with pursuit motorcycles and flag everyone that runs them and seize and destroy the moto the next day unless they pay a 5,000 peso fine. Second fine doubles, third time it triples.

Several lights they can start with -

1) The light at Playero ( I estimate 6,000 violations daily)
2) The light at Super Pola - (Another 3,000 violations daily)
3) The light at Charamicos ( 3,000 daily)
4) The light on Hwy 5 at Montellano (10,000 daily)
5) The lights near Jumbo in Puerto Plata (10,000 daily)
6) The first light entering Cabarete - ( 4,000 daily)

We are not talking about a late yellow turning red violation, but a blatant running of red light.

That's a lot of motorcycles to crush -
Do that everyday for a week and then no one on the north Coast will run a light for a long while and it will save many lives. And there will be a lot less wheel-standing morons running about.

And while they are at it - stop the taxis and public transportation vehicles running red lights also - Montellano is the worst cases for taxis ignoring the light.

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
Just out of curiosity I counted the number of vehicles without license plates, on my way to LaSirena in POP. Today was a good day. Only 8 vehichles at 7am. Imagine at 9am. Also I counted the number of motorcycles that ran the red light where Javilla tours is. Only fourteen! In America there are several municipalities that have tried this and failed. The number of law suits was overwhelming and they just quit.
Here is the thing. A policeman stands on the corner and all but waves at moto Conchos running the light. Let a gringo run the light and it is adifferent thing. For safety sake I hope they can do something. Good luck.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Look, imagine a group of 5 years old children in a kindergarten somewhere in a normal European country, let's say in Austria. The teacher comes to them and tells them, okay children, today's game is 'The Government of the Banana Republic'. Martin plays the President, Maria plays the vice-president, Peter plays the Police Minister, etc.

So those children start to play. How to make their imaginary Banana Republic better? Oh, we have the technology now! Let's install automatic photo cameras, and all bad drivers will be fined. Oh, let's disarm the population, we just announce it and all bad people will bring their guns to us, of course they will. Oh, let's do this, lets do that... you know how those games go.

So that's exactly what Dominican government does... They play in 'The Government' game like those kids in the kindergarten, but even those European kids have more education and more common sense than Dominican politicians. That's why none of their 'brilliant' ideas will work here.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
True. This new plan won't work for motos. They do regularly confiscate motos here on the north coast for infractions though.
They confiscate motos for money, not necessarily infractions. A friend of mine had his moto impounded and had to stay in the police cell for hours while his papers (all in order) were "investigated". But he is Haitian, so what would you expect? He and the bike were finally released after I lent him money for a "propina".

• Angry
Reactions: NanSanPedro

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They confiscate motos for money, not necessarily infractions. A friend of mine had his moto impounded and had to stay in the police cell for hours while his papers (all in order) were "investigated". But he is Haitian, so what would you expect? He and the bike were finally released after I lent him money for a "propina".
I won't say that doesn't happen, but there are so many motos with one violation or infraction that they really don't have to go out of their way to get money.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Please will everyone who lives in Sosua understand that how things work or don't work in Sosua is not representative of how things work or don't work in the entire country. In Santo Domingo almost all motorbike riders wear helmets, because they have to. It's unusual to do any journey in the capital without seeing DIGESETT guys. And transit laws do get enforced. I think that in the capital at least this will be a good idea and will work.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Look, imagine a group of 5 years old children in a kindergarten somewhere in a normal European country, let's say in Austria. The teacher comes to them and tells them, okay children, today's game is 'The Government of the Banana Republic'. Martin plays the President, Maria plays the vice-president, Peter plays the Police Minister, etc.

So those children start to play. How to make their imaginary Banana Republic better? Oh, we have the technology now! Let's install automatic photo cameras, and all bad drivers will be fined. Oh, let's disarm the population, we just announce it and all bad people will bring their guns to us, of course they will. Oh, let's do this, lets do that... you know how those games go.

So that's exactly what Dominican government does... They play in 'The Government' game like those kids in the kindergarten, but even those European kids have more education and more common sense than Dominican politicians. That's why none of their 'brilliant' ideas will work here.

Your attitude to Dominican Republic is bordering on racism and I find it very concerning. Calling the country a "banana republic" and suggesting that children in European countries have more education and common sense than those running the DR?