Como Identificar A Un Chopo

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I believe Ta'to' is the shortened version of "como estas todo".

Also, Extreme I don't know where you are from but Dominicans from NY talk very different from the Domincans here on the island. Heck, I'm a gringo and even I can de una vez figure out that they aren't from here - it is that noticeable. The fact is sometimes I find it quite ugly too.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Miguel, while it is true that chele it is used by all class, have in mind that that wasnt the case always, I assure you that when the word first came up it was rejected by the elite, as it happens with every new word that comes up. It is true that I wont hear my Dad saying "Tato" but you will sure every young man saying it regardless of social status by the fact that is a recent word. Tato means like OK.

"Oye yo te llamo orita para ver que hacemos"
-"Tato, yo voy a estar en mi casa"

First it is said that you have to talk perfect Spanish to be "decent Dominican", now the story changes so you can still use chele and still be "decent" but it if you use "Tato" you stop beeing decent and become a "chopo". That's hipocresy.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I believe Ta'to' is the shortened version of "como estas todo".

Also, Extreme I don't know where you are from but Dominicans from NY talk very different from the Domincans here on the island. Heck, I'm a gringo and even I can de una vez figure out that they aren't from here - it is that noticeable. The fact is sometimes I find it quite ugly too.

Yes, you can notice right away if they are Dominican York, the start talking spanglish and always come with a lot of bling bling and wide pants with white sneakers and a big shirt with 50 cent in the front. If it is an older Dominican York they wear a lino pant with the same white sneaker and shirt and a NY Yankees or Boston cap. It can be ugly and I would never dress in certain ways like that but that is no excuse to look down on them. By the way I'm from Santo Domingo and grew up there but now I'm in Vegas.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Funny how everybody's interpretation of ta to is so different.
I never hear it said here in Sosua, but would hear it frequently at the Santiago fruit & veggie market.
When they say ta to, it means, "it's all there".
ta to - Esta todo

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
Tato = ta bien (esta bien) = no more explanation needed = is okay

and is mostly used by tigueres in the capital city

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well you guys got me curious, so I gathered the troops together (the saturday morning employees) and they all agree to the following.
Ta to, is short for esta todo, and is relative to the conversation/subject matter.
It could mean, all is well, as most of you have suggested, but not exclusively.
If I ask an employee, "todo esta hecho", he could respond, "ta to".
Did we receive all the beer? "ta to".
Everything ok? "ta to".

So in short, it means, "esta todo", + whatever is the context of the conversation.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Yes, you can notice right away if they are Dominican York, the start talking spanglish and always come with a lot of bling bling and wide pants with white sneakers and a big shirt with 50 cent in the front. If it is an older Dominican York they wear a lino pant with the same white sneaker and shirt and a NY Yankees or Boston cap. It can be ugly and I would never dress in certain ways like that but that is no excuse to look down on them. By the way I'm from Santo Domingo and grew up there but now I'm in Vegas.

What I find ugly mostly is the profanity and the use of Spanglish when it is not really necessary. Although I sometimes throw a few Spanish phrases in my posts I refrain from doing this when I am speaking because it really is unattractive.

One should also be able to differentiate between "looking down on somebody" and recognizing that whatever anybody else does is not always good or ok. :)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Te entendi bien?....

Miguel, while it is true that chele it is used by all class, have in mind that that wasnt the case always, I assure you that when the word first came up it was rejected by the elite, as it happens with every new word that comes up. It is true that I wont hear my Dad saying "Tato" but you will sure every young man saying it regardless of social status by the fact that is a recent word. Tato means like OK.

"Oye yo te llamo orita para ver que hacemos"
-"Tato, yo voy a estar en mi casa"

First it is said that you have to talk perfect Spanish to be "decent Dominican", now the story changes so you can still use chele and still be "decent" but it if you use "Tato" you stop beeing decent and become a "chopo". That's hipocresy.
I know exactly from where you are coming from.

Now, if your last paragrath was intended for me, I NEVER said that saying "ta'to'" was reserved for a "chopo". BUUUUT:

I said before that I didn't know waht it meant and I that's NOT the case:

I have a cousin whose nickname was "Tato" and he was always late when he needed to use the tolilet. Therefore, he crapped his pants all the time.

One day, someone asked:

"Y que pasa con Tato que esta de mal humor?. (What's going on with Tato that he is in a bad mood?).

And the other person answered:

Y como no va a estar de mal humor si Tato Ta'To' CAGAO!!!. Wahahaha!!.

Btw: I wouldn't know if the elite rejected "chele" when people started saying it. I can only talk for the time I have been alive.

I don't use "chele" anymore so I guess I graduated to the "elite class".....Perhaps in my own mind.

Did you guys know that SOME people STILL use "RIALITO" instead of "chele" or centavo?.

Btw: NOT all "Dominican Yorks" act the same way.

Your generalization is WAYYYYY off.

Unless you know every single Dominican living in New York and they ALLLL acted the same way.

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Did someone hurt your feelings by calling you a Chopo before?

Extreme, who are these Elite people you keep talking about? I don?t think anyone from anywhere ? ESPECIALLY no wannabe from the Capital ? is better than me. Who decided that if a person who happens to have more money than me or a bigger house than me says a word, that their word is bond? If a rich kid from Aroyo Ondo said something ballistic and stupid I?m supposed to run with and start to say it because of his ?status? in DR?

You are arguing a point and you are going about it all wrong. Nobody here is prejudice person against the ?poor? or someone from a campo or barrio. What we are saying is that people who choose to sound ignorant are just that, IGNORANT.

And who here is arguing about speaking perfect Spanish and what qualifies anyone as a decent Dominican? Are you really saying here that the word chele is not decent or it?s immoral to say it? We can get into an entire debate about how we butcher the language as a nation. But YOUR arguments here are totally off base and now I think you just want to keep us busy. Is either that, or you are just as uninformed as you sound in your posts.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
:bunny::bunny: I'll be collecting later. :bunny::bunny:

Rocky baby - thank you for defending me!

No Rocky, when TD said this, you should have said, Ta' To'.

btw: what's Xtreme's problem? he sounds angry, Xtreme there are all kinds of people under the sun and everyone learns at a different pace, we all use our words differently, I think we need to correct our kids and speak properly in front of them so these slang problems can be corrected and our young Dominican kids start speaking properly.
Estos son mis dos cheles.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Exactly - If I ever hear my son saying 'ta to' thats when I'll act like I dont understand because I will not have him speak like that if I can help it! It starts at home...

Extreme - take a chill pill... AIGHT!! ;)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
No Rocky, when TD said this, you should have said, Ta' To'.

btw: what's Xtreme's problem? he sounds angry, Xtreme there are all kinds of people under the sun and everyone learns at a different pace, we all use our words differently, I think we need to correct our kids and speak properly in front of them so these slang problems can be corrected and our young Dominican kids start speaking properly.
Estos son mis dos cheles.

I think it his perspective - it is apparent he is young. Wait until he has kids -he won't think it is hip that they aren't doing well in school or can't get a good job because they speak like hoodlums/raperos.