Computer guy coming to Sosoua

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I brought a computer in about 18 months ago.

I just put it in my suitcase. They were initially really shocked at customs when they found it. They called over their supervisor, who took a look at the model number on the front. The label on the case said that the processor was just a celeron 600. so they charged me no duty.

No hints there. :)

After the supervisor left, the customs guys wanted a tip for "helping me". I told them no, and left.

I doubt you'll have a problem bringing your machine in. Just make sure you have plenty of cash on hand in case you have to pay customs duty. I would not want to leave an expensive machine there overnight.

Adrian

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Criss Colon said:
"MARY" are you living in the "Past"? Or is the "North Shore" that far behind Santo Domingo? 1 US Dollar= 32 pesos here today! Cris colon

I don't know where she is living, but it sure isn't the North Shore. 31 is posted at the bancos de cambio on main street of Sosua today.

I doubt if we will ever see 17-20 again.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Motorbikes

Hi Corey,
The popular bike around here is the Yamaha 115, followed by the 135, then the 100. The 100 does NOT live up to the Yamaha name. The motor is very frail and cannot take any abuse. It won't be long before you have to break it down to the crankcase. The 115 has proven to be the best of the 3. Of course the DT 125, dual purpose, has a great reputation and is more diversified than the street models, However they are not very comfortable for passengers as the rear pegs are mounted to the rear wheel assembly, rather than to the main frame, thus causing your feet to slip off the pegs when you go through potholes, ripping the skin off of the inside of your ankles. For one guy alone, they are great.
Current price for a new 115 is 56,000 pesos. I expect that the DT125 will be similarly priced. That works out to approx. $1800 US.
It sounds like you are one of the few who has the correct attitude about moving here. If you are capable of repairing computers and solving problems with programs, there should be no trouble finding you computer work around here. No real money to be made, but it could keep you busy and reduce the drain on your bank account.
If you are a computer wizard, it won't take long for the word to get around.
Marco.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Really sorry I got the exchange rate wrong guys. Forgive me?
Corey, don't ignore the other part of the posting:
Have an agreement on how much you will pay for the ride. Give him a tip, if you're so inclined.
mk

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
Thanks Everyone

I just wanted to thank everyone for not pointing out the fact that I spelled Sosua incorrectly when I first posted...

Fingers crossed on the job situation...hope to know by the end of next week.

Just out of curiosity, what happens to be the average age of the ex-pat community? From what I can find, it seems to be a 40+ crowd for the most part...

As for the information on the bikes, I found a few in some classified listings :) Thanks much...I also found a few cars, but prefer just a cycle.

I find it difficult not to "break the bank" with housing, as there are some incredible villas for rent. I am finding, however, that if I'm going to stay in a villa for 6 months, then I pay for 6 months up front. Is that the norm for apartments as well?

30 days and counting.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Re: Thanks Everyone

cmilliman said:
..I find it difficult not to "break the bank" with housing, as there are some incredible villas for rent. I am finding, however, that if I'm going to stay in a villa for 6 months, then I pay for 6 months up front. Is that the norm for apartments as well?..

I would suggest that you stay somewhere for a month before you rent -- the pictures are sometimes much nicer than the villa. It is not necessary to pay for 6 months up front. You can however do a better deal if you can offer this. But make very sure you are where you want to be.

El Kabong

Jul 7, 2003
www.poulsborfkc.com
Computers Into DR

I've brought a laptop twice in and out of DR for storing a massive amount of digital images, more than my aged digital camera can hold - it only accepts up to 16mb SmartMedia. I've NEVER had a hassle, and was just asked to turn it on once leaving DR to ensure it was a computer and not some dangerous device. I'd recommend trading your pc in for a comparable laptop and you can add a nice monitor when you get there.

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
laptop...

I would sell it...but it's rather "one-of-a-kind." It's a 2.7+ ghz PC capable of being overclocked to 4 ghz....1 GB ram....2 120 GB hard drives...CDRW...DVD....a high end sound card with a front panel with optical inputs/out (fiberoptic), dolby digital decoder, DTS decoder....TV/DVI output....6 usb 2.0 ports....2 onboard NIC's....4 firewire ports....RAID controller....I use it for a lot of image editing, design...music...etc, so there's no way a laptop could even compare. He**...the BIOS even talks :) The case is aluminum and there are lights INSIDE...and to top it off, it has to RF remotes.

BTW, that list was given to see how many out there know what any of that is :)

Thanks much for the thought....I'll decide either way after this week.

The above is what happens when a computer-geek/audiophile decides to play. I build PC's and servers here in the US in my spare time.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Re: laptop...

cmilliman said:
I would sell it...but it's rather "one-of-a-kind." It's a 2.7+ ghz PC capable of being overclocked to 4 ghz....1 GB ram....2 120 GB hard drives...CDRW...DVD....a high end sound card with a front panel with optical inputs/out (fiberoptic), dolby digital decoder, DTS decoder....TV/DVI output....6 usb 2.0 ports....2 onboard NIC's....4 firewire ports....RAID controller....I use it for a lot of image editing, design...music...etc, so there's no way a laptop could even compare. He**...the BIOS even talks :) The case is aluminum and there are lights INSIDE...and to top it off, it has to RF remotes.

Sounds like the computer of my dreams right now, just wait till the 64-bit chips start going down in price........can I "borrow" it for a week? Hehe j/k and hell no, a laptop won't even get close to that.........

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
sure...

Sure. I'll ship it right down to you.

It's a bit excessive...but I like knowing what's inside...and it really didn't cost that much.

I'll figure it out...Most conveniences I can go without...I can even handle depositing used TP in a trash can instead of flushing it....avoiding tap water, no car...etc. etc. etc...but a dog of a PC...just can't do it :)

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
I think you're doing the right thing to take it. Computers are expensive in the DR, but monitors are reasonable.

If you're looking for an alternative, buy a 2nd one to take down, leaving your good one at home, but taking the master hard drive to be used in the DR.

Another suggestion, buy a tv tuner card, if you don't already have one. I strongly suggest ATI. Televisions sets and vcrs are expensive in the DR. That way you need neither. Your monster hard drive will give you lots of recording time.

A word of caution - guard it carefully in the DR. In fact guard everything carefully. It seems that any obvious target eventually gets stolen.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Take down an inverter, too.

Sam's Club has a nice little 400 watter for $30. Very compact, so it won't take up much room. Take a 2nd for a spare if you have room - they are kinda light duty, unfortunately. You might even consider the next bigger size, about 700 watts for maybe $70.

I've never seen any nice little inverters for sale in the DR.

Once there, you can buy a nice, 10 amp charger (used to be about $60) and a Delco deep cycle, maintenance-free, 12v battery (used to be just under $100). The battery is supposedly for recreactional vehicles, but works great, especially the big size. It has a tri-color indicator for the amount of charge. It even has a handle for carrying or moving (weighs about 100 pounds).

The combination will let you use the computer, an energy efficient lamp, and a fan for maybe 5 hours, if power is lost. The rest of the day is needed to recharge it (while still being used, of course). That way you have an uninterruptible power supply for both the computer and household items. It'll even run a washing machine.

The charger plugs into a standard wall outlet.

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
Argh.

Well, I'm still waiting for word on the job. The biggest obstacle seems to be conveying my willingness and resolve in regards to living in the Dominican Republic.

Thanks to all who have offered advice, and I hope to meet some of you in the near future. :)

August. Very near future.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: laptop...

cmilliman said:

BTW, that list was given to see how many out there know what any of that is :)

Thanks much for the thought....I'll decide either way after this week.

The above is what happens when a computer-geek/audiophile decides to play. I build PC's and servers here in the US in my spare time.
You aint the only geek in the Republic!

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
Geeks Abound.

Well, glad not to be the only geek :) I prefer to move my geekdom into the hobby arena, or into moonlighting.

Thanks for the information on the inverter/battery combo. Very similar to the setup in my family's RV.

Still unsure about the computer, of course. Want to take it along...and am just not going to make a decision on that front for a couple weeks yet.

Preparations on the homefront are in full swing...Packing, labeling, giving away...and setting aside for sale. My roommate is going to come along as well so I'll have a partner in crime when I arrive :)

As for guarding my things against theft...I'll just have to be careful...although it isn't like I would be strapping it to my back.

I will be glad when all the preparations are done...and I'm sitting in my hotel room after having flown from Miami. Just so much to do...and my last day at work isn't until the 18th or 25th.

Thanks again for the help, both in the forum and outside. Looking forward to meeting the interesting bunch I have been talking with since spring.

To summarize the last weeks:

-Watch out for Cab drivers, and those offering to carry luggage, leave baggage in-sight
-Find a nice Honda DT 125/100
-Put the computer in my carry-on and valuable components on my person...and plead ignorance.
-Nab the $180/month lodging, after arrival.
-Prepare for blackouts with an inverter and deep cycle battery/charger
-Avoid tap water at all costs
-Agree on prices for transport up front, and tip light only if I really feel the need
-Make my professional skills known to make some extra cash
-Use the Cambios in S.Domingo for the best exchange rates

LASTLY....Any advice on the best way to get from Santo Domingo to Sosua? I know a bus will be extremely crowded...hire out a cab? That will be the last question I ask in this ever-growing thread.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Bus isn't bad nor terribly crowded. I have used Caribe Tours and I think it was 120 pesos and included a movie. I would suggest flying into Puerto Plata to acces Sosua. It is 10 minutes from the airport. Cab is silly.

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
I've been able to locate flights to Santo Domingo for $175 round trip. Puerto Plata, $650-$680 (both from Miami). From chicago, both flights are quite expensive. I'm going to move any discussion regarding airfare to the correct forum. I have until July 15th to purchase. It is also the only affordable ticket I've been able to find with a return date of 12 months or less...the rest are all 90 days.

Thanks for the info on the bus though....if I am unable to find reasonable arrangements to POP, that will come in handy. Yes, a taxi would be crazy :)

And again, thanks everyone on the slew of information given to me.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I think we used the Metro bus between Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata. There was a stop in Santiago. It was a nice ride and Noelle from Sofy's B&B met us at the station.
mk