Conclusion and Confusion

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Voyager said:
Hm... I fear you just might be right, Larry! Geez!

Maybe I should mention that the main reasons for me desiring to move to DR are these:

1) A woman... "in her present job in the military. Generally, she has such a good position in DR society"

Are you in for a big surprise!!!

Escott,
A few McMansions and you are ready to declare the new Pinecrest or Gables Estates? Compare the Number of "Million Dollar Homes" in Piantini, Naco or Arroyo Hondo with the number up north.
Comparing the North Coast with Santo Domingo is a waste of time. Your happy on the North Coast. Great. It has what you want. I prefer the Capital. It has what I want.
Some people want other things out of life. Deal with it!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Tony C said:

Escott,
A few McMansions and you are ready to declare the new Pinecrest or Gables Estates? Compare the Number of "Million Dollar Homes" in Piantini, Naco or Arroyo Hondo with the number up north.
Comparing the North Coast with Santo Domingo is a waste of time. Your happy on the North Coast. Great. It has what you want. I prefer the Capital. It has what I want.
I agree with tonyc.
We have mansions in ceros de Gurabo that would make north coast mansions look like children play houses. Santiago is for me, you guys can have the beach and the ugly hookers and the sankies. I only come to the beach and leave right away.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Comparing Santo Domingo to the North Coast is a waste of time, they are so very different. It comes down to the lifestyle you seek and what you can afford.

I personally would never live on the North Coast, it just does not offer what I want. Yes, I visit often, I have friends and clients etc.

Sosua is a town, Santo Domingo is a city, end of story.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Tony C said:

Escott,

I agree with you 100%!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Tony C said:

Escott,
Hehehe, yes comparing the North Coast to Santo Domingo is a waste of time. I also lived in NYC for 15 years on 84th and West End Ave so I know City life. I moved upstate to the New Paltz/Woodstock area for more of what I seek in living. I guess coming from Cuba you haven't had much experience in real cities Tony. You must have come from a poor sugar cane area and enticed by the big city lights.

I was just pointing out to you that the most exclusive community in the entire Caribbean resides right in Sosua. I wouldn't live there either but just wanted to mention it since you put down the standard of living on the North Coast and Pump up the volume on the capital constantly.

I would even consider buying an apartment in S.D. but I would NEVER want to live there. Different strokes for folks for sure. A wasteland though Tony? I do have to say that I have seen the biggest rats crossing the street in Santo Domingo that I have ever seen. I asked Pib once if one was a German Shepherd it was so freakin big.

Regards,
Scott

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
If you want to live in the DR:

Forget about living in SD, the prices for decent housing are criminal compared to other points in the country, of course SD is unique in the nation, it's a city not a town like most other places in the country.

You can buy a home for about 2 to 3 millions pesos in a very nice villa in Santiago(second city in importance in DR) ampled space for all your needs plus a real backyard unlike 90% of homes in SD...

You can buy a used Japanese vehicle for about 1,000,000.00 that won't give you any problems as long as you stay away from pot holes here and there.

You can live with about US$1,000 with comfort not luxury but comfort not afforded in many developed countries...

You can go to a restaurant, movie etc as you pointed out within this budget.

The sticking point will be how do you plan to keep your US$1,000 coming all the time? and are you prepare to make adjustments to your budget as expenditures always rise as any other economy in the world?

If you have a positive answer to all these points then come home to the DR!!!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I am surprised with all these gringos!!

Me being dominican, know very clearly the friendly (but sometimes not so friendly) rivalry that exist between Santo Domingo and the Cibao and Santo Domingo and the North Coast. The thing that surprises me, is that I thought that only the dominicans had that rivalry, but I have been proven wrong. Even the gringos are into it! Unbelievable, I guess the dominican spirit is stronger than it seems and it's molding each and every single foreigner that lives in the DR into a real dominican.

And just for the sake of posting, my favorite place to live in the DR would have to be Santo Domingo. The reasons lies in that I'm young and that city is alive and kicking. Everything I want is there, including a sharp contrast in wealth and poverty which believe it or not, I like to see. I like to see the poverty to see what would happen to me if I become a "vago" and the wealth to see my goal in front of my eyes. The north coast doesn't appeals to me very much to live because it's not as lively as the Capital and the Cibao is where my family is from and I don't want to be soo close to them. It's not that my family is bad or anything because they are not, it's just that if you live next door, they expect you to visit them everyday and that is not who I am. But if you live far away from them, you can visit them when ever you feel like it with out being scrutinized. The southwest is nice with it's sharp contrast of forested mountains and desert valleys, but there is no superficial economy to speak of there and the east is just too boring. Those are my two cents!!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Escott said:
Hehehe, yes comparing the North Coast to Santo Domingo is a waste of time. I also lived in NYC for 15 years on 84th and West End Ave so I know City life. I moved upstate to the New Paltz/Woodstock area for more of what I seek in living. I guess coming from Cuba you haven't had much experience in real cities Tony. You must have come from a poor sugar cane area and enticed by the big city lights.
I lived in NYC as well. upper East side. NYC is great town which I visit often but I have no desire to live there. I am a suburban type of guy. Near the city but still like the fact I have my large backyard. Plus the weather in NYC Sucks! I love the fact that in 20 minutes from my home I can be enjoying a concert or museum and then turn the other direction an be fishing for Bones and Tarpon in 20 mins as well.
As for the Cuba dig....That was lame. BTW I was born in the USA.
Escott said:
I was just pointing out to you that the most exclusive community in the entire Caribbean resides right in Sosua.
You really need to travel more if you actually believe that. It is not even the most exclusive community in the DR

Escott said:
I would even consider buying an apartment in S.D. but I would NEVER want to live there. Different strokes for folks for sure. A wasteland though Tony? I do have to say that I have seen the biggest rats crossing the street in Santo Domingo that I have ever seen. I asked Pib once if one was a German Shepherd it was so freakin big.

Not a wasteland? When was the last time there was any major(or even minor) cultural event on the North Coast? Music? Ballet? Art? Food? Santo Domingo is the Cultural and Business heart of the DR. Does Sosua even have a book store?
Lets not even compare the women. There is no way you can tell me the woman are better(in any way) on the North Coast.
Now I suppose you are going to tell me there are no Rats on the North Coast?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Escott said:
I guess coming from Cuba you haven't had much experience in real cities Tony. You must have come from a poor sugar cane area and enticed by the big city lights.

I have lived and worked in more countries than you have visited.
Your sound like a typical I have no clue "New Yorker".

How did that sound, pretty childish don't you think?
I think you get my point.

I was just pointing out to you that the most exclusive community in the entire Caribbean resides right in Sosua.

Not true. Sea Horse is nice and one of the best in the DR right now.
The Caribbean is dotted with exclusive communities.

Enough of the us against them BS. For most here it comes down to lifestyle, nothing more, nothing less. We all have different needs, desires and budgets.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Tony C said:
...When was the last time there was any major(or even minor) cultural event on the North Coast? Music? Ballet? Art? Food? Santo Domingo is the Cultural and Business heart of the DR.

I don't want to enter this Gringo Coast/Santo Domingo debate as it is a waste of time.

So, just for the record, the annual Jazz festival on the North Coast is possibly a minor cultural event, but it is of excellent quality. Do yourself a favor and attend one of the performances this year. If it is as good as last year, I think you'll be surprised. Art - there are regular art exhibitions in Onos restaurant on the main drag in Cabarete. Do yourself a favor and visit one of these. The quality of the art and the ambiance of the occasion might just surprise you.

Escott said:
...I was just pointing out to you that the most exclusive community in the entire Caribbean resides right in Sosua.

Scott, the Caribbean is a big place. I think you should reconsider this statement. Both Seahorse Ranch and Haciendas el Choco are good upscale communities but neither of them will even fit into the ten best in the Caribbean.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I live in Santo Domingo,but I love the North Shore!

We are going to Juan Dolio for "Semana Santa",but if someone would drive me,I would be in Sasua!!!At this stage in my life I have had all the "Culture" I want! The only important things to me now are my family,my friends,and getting laid!And in THAT order!!!
I would prefer to sit on the patio early in the morning at Condos Dominicanos with Eddy,and have a cup of his great coffee,and watch the World go by! Later meet Tom,"XR" at Eddy's Sports Bar and talk and stare at Alba! Then a 1/2 garlic roasted chicken at "Rocky"s",and then chase ***** until about 11 pm,when it's time for bed!
Next morning breakfast at the Hotel ,then on to Cabarete,sit in "Lax" bar till afternoon,back to Sosua.Dinner with "Escott',Eddy,and Robert at Pier Giorgio,late night coffees at a bar.The wild beach at Sosua,"people watching","Mofongo" at the "Rey de Mofongo's! Nap time,massage time,dinner time! That is my "Culture!Cris Colon
Remember: "You can take a horticulture,but that doesn't mean she will enjoy the flowers!"

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Criss Colon said:
At this stage in my life I have had all the "Culture" I want! The only important things to me now are my family,my friends,and getting laid!And in THAT order!!!
Bingo. Same order, too. No wonder we get along.

Robert's right. Every one of us probably has different things that they like, tolerate, enjoy, hate. It's not possible to make these comparisons. They're really meaningless. Robert's a big-city boy. I love going to the city but could never live there. Escott enjoys being in Sosua and in a condo, I couldn't ever tolerate being in so small a space. But I'd never criticize anyone for their decision. To each his own.

I will say this, though. I can go to Sosua, or Santiago, or Santo Domingo, or Miami for that matter whenever I want noise, or shopping, or culture, or loud music, etc. and then come back home to the roar of the ocean and blissful peace and quiet. For those of you that choose to live in the city you have to like to have that noise around 24/7 or you'll go crazy because there's no escaping it.

For me it's better to have to travel to the big city attractions you want, than to have to leave home to travel just for some peace and quiet.

Tom aka XR Alba loves to shop at La Sirena. I bring her mail there twice a week.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Criss Colon said:
I would prefer to sit on the patio early in the morning at Condos Dominicanos with Eddy,and have a cup of his great coffee,and watch the World go by! Later meet Tom,"XR" at Eddy's Sports Bar and talk and stare at Alba! Then a 1/2 garlic roasted chicken at "Rocky"s",and then chase ***** until about 11 pm,when it's time for bed!
Next morning breakfast at the Hotel ,then on to Cabarete,sit in "Lax" bar till afternoon,back to Sosua.Dinner with "Escott',Eddy,and Robert at Pier Giorgio,late night coffees at a bar.The wild beach at Sosua,"people watching","Mofongo" at the "Rey de Mofongo's! Nap time,massage time,dinner time! That is my "Culture!Cris Colon
Remember: "You can take a horticulture,but that doesn't mean she will enjoy the flowers!"
Hey guys, how can I get into the action too? I will be there too for semana santa. Can I come along to Pier Giorgio and escott's secret steak house in the boonies?
AZB