Condo Purchasing Information Needed Por Favor

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
eso_mami said:
Thank you for your reply Carina, you are wonderful! Thank you - I will be making some calls in the next few days to get the ball rolling....and I am going in October, so I will go look with my boyfriend (he is a local in Puerto Plata) for condo's.

In your opinion, what is better and cheaper, a condo or renting an apartment (in the long run) ????

This is 2 different ways of living, you will have to find what you prefer.
It also depends on many things, such as price of purchase, location as well
as what rent you would pay and for what.
It is easy to buy here, and difficult to sell, it is the buyers market.

If you have not lived here, and move here because of a boyfriend, I?d say directly first rent, see if all works out fine etc.
If you marry the man, he is entitled to 50 % in case of a divorce.
You can always purchase, but there is no need to rush. ;)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Heaven or Hell

carina said:

If you have not lived here, and move here because of a boyfriend, I?d say directly first rent, see if all works out fine etc.
Eso Mami,
Carina's words are like the gospel.
Listen to her carefully.
It means the difference of your adventure being Heaven or Hell.

eso_mami

Jun 1, 2005
carina said:

Hi Carina, Ok so renting is what I would prefer.....YOU MADE SOME EXCELLENT POINTS!!!! can someone forward me a link to a DR site that has classified for apartments to rent (if there are any classifieds for this)? Is that possible? also could you tell me the rules for renting in Puerto Plata, por favor!

Thank you so much!!!! you are all so caring!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
eso_mami said:
Hi Carina, Ok so renting is what I would prefer.....YOU MADE SOME EXCELLENT POINTS!!!! can someone forward me a link to a DR site that has classified for apartments to rent (if there are any classifieds for this)? Is that possible? also could you tell me the rules for renting in Puerto Plata, por favor!

Thank you so much!!!! you are all so caring!

This does not exist in general, apart from some gated communities maybe.
There are not even signs out "For Rent", it is a matter of asking around, walking the city, ask again.
What is out for rent today is gone yesterday.
If your boyfriend lives here he knows this.

eso_mami

Jun 1, 2005
carina said:
This does not exist in general, apart from some gated communities maybe.
There are not even signs out "For Rent", it is a matter of asking around, walking the city, ask again.
What is out for rent today is gone yesterday.
If your boyfriend lives here he knows this.

Ok that is great, in a way, but not in many ways, I will get my boyfriend to walk around for me and ask around since it is the only way. Thank you sooooo much, I can't thank you enough, I can't wait to be part of the community :) I love your country!

Sonia

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
eso_mami said:
Ok that is great, in a way, but not in many ways, I will get my boyfriend to walk around for me and ask around since it is the only way. Thank you sooooo much, I can't thank you enough, I can't wait to be part of the community :) I love your country!

Sonia

It is not a matter if it is great or not. It is the reality and how the culture functions if you want to rent a local, residencial apartment.
You can walk around only when you are ready to rent, with 1 month rent and a deposit of the same amount in your pocket.
Rental goes fast here.

If you are looking for a gated community or simular that have letting, then it is possible to plan and not rent directly.

eso_mami

Jun 1, 2005
carina said:
It is not a matter if it is great or not. It is the reality and how the culture functions if you want to rent a local, residencial apartment.
You can walk around only when you are ready to rent, with 1 month rent and a deposit of the same amount in your pocket.
Rental goes fast here.

If you are looking for a gated community or simular that have letting, then it is possible to plan and not rent directly.

how does a gated community work? like Playa Dorada - would that be an example of residential in a gated community? I know there are resorts there and everything, but are there residences also? I'm so new to this and I really apologize for not being too smart about everything....

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
eso_mami said:
how does a gated community work? like Playa Dorada - would that be an example of residential in a gated community? I know there are resorts there and everything, but are there residences also? I'm so new to this and I really apologize for not being too smart about everything....

A gated community can be an area or simply a building.
With gate, guard, usually higher standard. And therefor more expensive in rent.
Playa Dorada is not a residencial community.

I think the best is for you to come here, take some time and don?t rush things and see if and what is for you.
It is impossible to plan life here for you behind a computer screen as you don?t know much how reality functions here.
Take your time, learn and explore when you are here, and then you will see what you prefer in housing etc.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
eso_mami said:

Just a little suggestion. If you're new at this maybe you should rent for a while till you get the feel of the land.

If you don't know what's in Playa Dorada I would wait for a while before buying.

Escott who is an expert at Real Estate wandered around for about a year before he bought anything and he knows what he's doing, so go by that example.

Good luck ;)

eso_mami

Jun 1, 2005
carina said:
A gated community can be an area or simply a building.
With gate, guard, usually higher standard. And therefor more expensive in rent.
Playa Dorada is not a residencial community.

I think the best is for you to come here, take some time and don?t rush things and see if and what is for you.
It is impossible to plan life here for you behind a computer screen as you don?t know much how reality functions here.
Take your time, learn and explore when you are here, and then you will see what you prefer in housing etc.

Hola Carina,

I am going in October, I will do my research when I am there for the week, I wish I could stay longer but I only have the one week holiday coming up until next year in April. You have given me great information to work with. Thank you thank you thank you

Sonia