condominium board question

Suez02

Jul 8, 2009
Is there any reason not to be a board member of a condominium association in the Dom. Rep.? Legal, financial responsibilities, etc?
Also, in a condo complex without a board, there is one unit, one vote as far as decisions regarding expenses and improvements, etc. With a Board, how does it work? Is there one vote per board member? So that if an owner has several units, he would no longer get several votes? Thanks for any info.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
It would probably depend on your condo association by-laws.
Normally you have a vote equal to the percentage of your ownership in the building.
It goes by sq. footage.
Of course you would get a vote/votes for each of your units..
I might hesitate to be a board member, but you really must keep an eye on things.
Like I said,
It depends on the by-laws of your assoc.....If you are an owner you should have a copy of these.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is there any reason not to be a board member of a condominium association in the Dom. Rep.? Legal, financial responsibilities, etc?
Also, in a condo complex without a board, there is one unit, one vote as far as decisions regarding expenses and improvements, etc. With a Board, how does it work? Is there one vote per board member? So that if an owner has several units, he would no longer get several votes? Thanks for any info.

Very briefly, a board cannot replace the Assembly. There is no legal authority for a board. We have one where I am an owner and I am on it.

Only the assembly and the administrator have legal authority. Read the condo law and you will see no mention of a board.

The board I am on does that things the assembly asks it to work on, and the assembly ratifies them at next assembly. If it doesn't, then they don't continue.

If you want to discuss this further, send me a PM.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I have a condo in the D.R.....in our complex every owner has a vote for every condo they own. The amount of fees is determined by the size of your condo square footage.
My wife is on the board of our condo in New Jersey and all officers are exempt from legal lawsuits ( unless they break the law) because a person has to sue the complex not the board. Its work but its has its rewards. So that's a personial desicion for you to make. For our D.R. condo its nice that we have owners who live there year round. I believe that's very important.
I wish you all the best and good luck in your desicion.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My wife is on the board of our condo in New Jersey and all officers are exempt from legal lawsuits ( unless they break the law) because a person has to sue the complex not the board.
One of the things the board I am on did a couple of years ago was to draft revised rules. One of the additions was an article stating essentially the same thing. The revised rules, including the article on bod member liability was approved by more than the required 75% of the owners. Without that language, there would be some risk. It is not automatic in the DR because there is no legal basis for a bod in this country.