Congrats to Bob Saunders

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Nah still use the Canadian passport except when going to Colombia - visa free for Dominicans but not for Canadians.

I didn't know you could do that being a Canadian citizen I assumed one would have renounce his/her citizenship.
As far as I know if I wanted another passport I'd have to renounce my German citizenship.
I better keep mine, don't need a visa for Colombia ;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Nah still use the Canadian passport except when going to Colombia - visa free for Dominicans but not for Canadians.
When arriving from abroad at a Dominican airport, make sure you slide your cédula into your Canadian passport (right next to the page where your photo and info is). Once the immigration person see's that, they know. lol

The cédula also comes in handy if the airline asks for your return ticket (as in your return ticket to Canada), it lets them know that you are a Dominican citizen too. Suddenly, no need to show the return ticket and you are good to go.

¡Felicidades compatriota!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I didn't know you could do that being a Canadian citizen I assumed one would have renounce his/her citizenship.
As far as I know if I wanted another passport I'd have to renounce my German citizenship.

No problems with keeping Canadian citizenship.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I understand why the rest of that group would want to become Dominicans but Cubans?

I don't get it. BTW, Bob, you've been formally/officially "Aplatanado," congratulations!

Spend a little time as a Cuban in Cuba and you would understand. One of them lives haldf a mile from me in Jarabacoa.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

Congratulations Bob!
Frank,
In Germany you can make an application to retain German Citizenship prior to becoming the citizen of another country.
If you do not, you automatically lose German citizenship.
For someone committed to live in the DR full time and especially those with a Dominican spouse, DR citizenship makes a lot of sense. More so if one can have multiple citizenship.

For the many Germans living in the DR maintaining German status with all the benefits and becoming a DR citizen to legally live here with a Dominican spouse (and simplified DR citizenship process) is not a bad option.

https://www.henleyglobal.com/dual-citizenship/
http://www.immihelp.com/citizenship/dual-citizenship-recognize-countries.html

http://www.bva.bund.de/DE/Themen/Staatsangehoerigkeit/Beibehaltung/beibehaltung-node.html
http://www.canada.diplo.de/contentblob/2948768/Daten/4915068/bbg_mb_download.pdf
http://www.bva.bund.de/SharedDocs/D...eibeh_Antrag_B.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=4

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Bob, the best way to enter the DR is just give them your Dominican Passport and they will scan it and stamp it. When leaving I do the same thing, but usually they want to see your other passport to make sure you will be able to enter the Country that you are going to.

One more thing is that I have actually checked in to my airline with my DR passport in Miami flying direct to the DR.

Last edited:

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Congratulation Bob,

How was your day at the ceremony? Can you share some details of the process for others waiting?

Thanks,
XTraveller

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Not comply true

I'm Germany and now Dominican citizen while keeping my German passport.
Much easier getting in and out of the dr specially through the fast gates at the airport, less than 5 minutes.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Congratulation Bob,

How was your day at the ceremony? Can you share some details of the process for others waiting?

Thanks,
XTraveller

I received a phone call two days before the ceremony telling me where to go, what time, and to wear formal clothing and I was allowed one guest. We arrived at 830 for a 900 am start. It takes place in the auditorium on the first floor of the Police and Immigration building which is about a five minute walk from Caribe tours. Once in the auditorium you line up and show your passport and they check your name and you sign in two places. Once everyone is in place itès national anthem, a short speech by the vice-minister, they read out the names and countries of those becoming citizens, then do a group oath. Next they call people alphabetically by first name. They present you with your certificate and all the paperwork to receive your cedula and passport. Once everyone has their certificate and photo taken it a group photo and the nation anthem again. Finally its snacks and juice/water and opportunity to congratulate each other and ask questions of the staff. Then you go your merry way, usually to the JCE to apply for your cedula- second floor, but make sure you get a photocopy of the entire set of the documents stapled together inside your folder. You get a number and wait your turn. 1500 pesos and you wait 30 days for your cedula and if you want it next day you pay the extra for VIP service. If you elect the 30 day service you don't have to go back to Santo Domingo, you can do it in your local JCE. You also receive an envelope that you take to get your Dominican passport. You are told that you are not allowed to open this envelope. That's about it.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I received a phone call two days before the ceremony telling me where to go, what time, and to wear formal clothing and I was allowed one guest. We arrived at 830 for a 900 am start. It takes place in the auditorium on the first floor of the Police and Immigration building which is about a five minute walk from Caribe tours. Once in the auditorium you line up and show your passport and they check your name and you sign in two places. Once everyone is in place itès national anthem, a short speech by the vice-minister, they read out the names and countries of those becoming citizens, then do a group oath. Next they call people alphabetically by first name. They present you with your certificate and all the paperwork to receive your cedula and passport. Once everyone has their certificate and photo taken it a group photo and the nation anthem again. Finally its snacks and juice/water and opportunity to congratulate each other and ask questions of the staff. Then you go your merry way, usually to the JCE to apply for your cedula- second floor, but make sure you get a photocopy of the entire set of the documents stapled together inside your folder. You get a number and wait your turn. 1500 pesos and you wait 30 days for your cedula and if you want it next day you pay the extra for VIP service. If you elect the 30 day service you don't have to go back to Santo Domingo, you can do it in your local JCE. You also receive an envelope that you take to get your Dominican passport. You are told that you are not allowed to open this envelope. That's about it.

Thank you Bob for the detail info.
How long is your new cedula good for?
Did you run into the problems that Miltida describe for your new Birth certificate our did not reach this point yet?
I appreciate your comments as it will be my turn soon.

XTaveller

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thank you Bob for the detail info.
How long is your new cedula good for?
Did you run into the problems that Miltida describe for your new Birth certificate our did not reach this point yet?
I appreciate your comments as it will be my turn soon.

XTaveller

Well since I havn't got the cedula in my hand yet I don't know if I will have any issues with the birth certificate. I do not anticipate problems but we will see. The people in charge of the local JCE are friends of my wife's and clients at our school so they will help as much as possible, but the problems, if there are any will be in Santo Domingo. The cedula is good for ten years and renewal is free.
Interestingly ,they have a copy of my Canadian birth Certificate which gives my mother's maiden name so when they did my certificate up and when they do my Dominican birth Certificate I will no longer be Saunders, but Saunders McGinnis.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
Well since I havn't got the cedula in my hand yet I don't know if I will have any issues with the birth certificate. I do not anticipate problems but we will see. The people in charge of the local JCE are friends of my wife's and clients at our school so they will help as much as possible, but the problems, if there are any will be in Santo Domingo. The cedula is good for ten years and renewal is free.
Interestingly ,they have a copy of my Canadian birth Certificate which gives my mother's maiden name so when they did my certificate up and when they do my Dominican birth Certificate I will no longer be Saunders, but Saunders McGinnis.

Thanks Bob for the info.
Also about mothers maiden name I remember there was a moment of confusion when first applying at the MIP. When the person reviewing documents noticed a difference of my mothers name on documents he almost denied approval. But after consulting with supervisor they accepted documents and all went fine. He was very professional about and just wanted to make sure all docks were ok. By the way was there a dress code for ceremony?