considering a move to DR - lots of questions!!!!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Listen,
I don?t know you or your family but what I am learning is that you are going to get negativity or positivity depending on whether or not that person is having a bad day.
I moved here with 3 kids........by my f****ing self (meaning without a man), and was called all kinds of names and given all kinds of negativity when I found this site.
I came to DR with very little money, compared to some other posters here. In fact, the downstairs of my house still is not furnished. I have a living room upstairs with the bedrooms so the kids barely care.
My kids go to an International private school (my biggest cost), I live in a very nice house in a nice neighborhood, I shop at the Supermercados and the malls, and my children have never dumpster dived (is dived a word;)?). I have averaged that (not counting the buying of furniture), I will spend approx. $2,500 per month. And that is only because I am lazy and take taxis everywhere. When I am in a good mood or not in a hurry I take public cars.
I live in a house comparable to mine in the US, eat the same food (a little more rice), and shop like I did there on less. My rent in the US was $1,400
But then again, I am more barrio than most posters and I do not have screens in my windows or air conditioning or need a full-time maid (I am looking for one part-time though:squareeye).
Depends on what you want, and how you want to live but just listen to the negativity, take the advice out of it and keep on trucking because if I had listened to some of these people, I'd be moving in the year 2015!
BTW................I LOVE IT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!
MY KIDS LOVE IT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!
NO PLANS OF LEAVING!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck!
SHALENA

Reactions: FernieBee

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
$2500 US per month in barrio. WOW. It is alot. I thought barrios are cheaper.
Barrios used to be cheaper just a little while ago.
Congratulations on your courage, Shalena, and good luck!

You are good woman.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
$2500 US per month in barrio. WOW. It is alot. I thought barrios are cheaper.
Barrios used to be cheaper just a little while ago.
Congratulations on your courage, Shalena, and good luck!

You are good woman.

I do not live in a barrio, I meant Barrio as in I do not need much. I live in a middle class neighborhood with working-class DominIcans, 2 out of 3 with Jeepetas in the Marquesina.
After re-reading my own post, I can see how it was mistaken.
Thanks so much for the kind words....
Sometimes you just have to close your eyes and leap! If you wait until you are totally prepared, you will never do it.
Not to say that they shouldn't prepare, but don't over analyze the situation, you know?
SHALENA

Last edited:

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I do not live in a barrio, I meant Barrio as in I do not need much. I live in a middle class neighborhood with working-class DominIcans, 2 out of 3 with Jeepetas in the Marquesina.
After re-reading my own post, I can see how it was mistaken.
Thanks so much for the kind words....
Sometimes you just have to close your eyes and leap! If you wait until you are totally prepared, you will never do it.
Not to say that they shouldn't prepare, but don't over analyze the situation, you know?
SHALENA

Not with everyone it is smart to close eyes and jump without parachute.
But with a woman like you I `d do it without hesitation or painful regret.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Listen,
I don?t know you or your family but what I am learning is that you are going to get negativity or positivity depending on whether or not that person is having a bad day.
I moved here with 3 kids........by my f****ing self (meaning without a man), and was called all kinds of names and given all kinds of negativity when I found this site.
I came to DR with very little money, compared to some other posters here. In fact, the downstairs of my house still is not furnished. I have a living room upstairs with the bedrooms so the kids barely care.
My kids go to an International private school (my biggest cost), I live in a very nice house in a nice neighborhood, I shop at the Supermercados and the malls, and my children have never dumpster dived (is dived a word;)?). I have averaged that (not counting the buying of furniture), I will spend approx. $2,500 per month. And that is only because I am lazy and take taxis everywhere. When I am in a good mood or not in a hurry I take public cars.
I live in a house comparable to mine in the US, eat the same food (a little more rice), and shop like I did there on less. My rent in the US was $1,400
But then again, I am more barrio than most posters and I do not have screens in my windows or air conditioning or need a full-time maid (I am looking for one part-time though:squareeye).
Depends on what you want, and how you want to live but just listen to the negativity, take the advice out of it and keep on trucking because if I had listened to some of these people, I'd be moving in the year 2015!
BTW................I LOVE IT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!
MY KIDS LOVE IT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!
NO PLANS OF LEAVING!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck!
SHALENA

Glad things are working out for you and your family.