Contacting the USA Social Security Admin if needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When you are 65 and have SS then you get Medicare. With a Medicare Advantage Plan you are covered for virtually all medical.

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
And it will cost you a small fortune!

That's why I use my brother's address in the States. He pretty much knows what mail is garbage and what isn't. Anything he has a question about he scans it to me by email and I tell him whether I need it or not.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When you are 65 and have SS then you get Medicare. With a Medicare Advantage Plan you are covered for virtually all medical.

Regarding Medicare:

As long as you go back to the US for treatment. As far as I know there is no way to have Medicare pay for medical expenses while in the DR, correct?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
SS does not cover medical. That is a whole different area.

Correct that if you collect SS you are automatically enrolled in Part A of medicare without additional cost. If you try and refuse part A you would forfeit SS benefits. Odd, but apparently true.

Plan B would have a cost which is deducted from your SS benefits and could be worth it if you have a way to get treatment in the US when needed. I have not yet looked into Medicare any further and have no research yet on Medicare Advantage Plans. I have two years to consider the options.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Correct that if you collect SS you are automatically enrolled in Part A of medicare without additional cost. If you try and refuse part A you would forfeit SS benefits. Odd, but apparently true.

Plan B would have a cost which is deducted from your SS benefits and could be worth it if you have a way to get treatment in the US when needed. I have not yet looked into Medicare any further and have no research yet on Medicare Advantage Plans. I have two years to consider the options.

Part A is free and I don't even think you can refuse it. Part B is about $135 per month deducted from your SS. You can refuse Part B, but I highly recommend that you take it. Otherwise you only get Hospital coverage. If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan most will reimburse you for any emergency anywhere in the World.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If you refuse Part B and change you're mind later down the road, your Part B premium will go up 10% for every year that you didn't take it and will stay at that rate.

A friend of mine did just that and now he's kicking himself becuase he has to go back to the US. His Part B premium will more than double. I would think twice before declining Part B.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Part A is free and I don't even think you can refuse it. Part B is about $135 per month deducted from your SS. You can refuse Part B, but I highly recommend that you take it. Otherwise you only get Hospital coverage. If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan most will reimburse you for any emergency anywhere in the World.

Sky if you don't mind telling us how much is your Medicare Advantage Plan cost......thanks

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
OP has been answered. Please start a thread about Medicare coverage in Off Topic if you wish to continue discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.