cooking chicken and choping up the bones in the meat,whats with that?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
true - goat bones are just way too sharp

Weird, I've eaten quite a few home cooked meals and although the chicken was cut up - or chopped up - no one ever had bones they just didn't eat around.

mmm just love passing by the 'butchers' on my way to eat ... have you seen those places?

Don't you just loooove those big cow eyes staring at you? or the goat's sad look on his face?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the pollo shop in POp - not only they SELL chicken, they have LIVE chickens to butcher them - really fresh meat.
vegetarians have hard life in DR.....

C

Chip00

Don't you just loooove those big cow eyes staring at you? or the goat's sad look on his face?

Honestly I never think about theses things at the same time - I'm usually to hungry!

Man, tomorrow I've got to go to El Central to get the best chivo in Santiago!

LOCAITO BLANCITO

Apr 2, 2007
Most Dominican women know how to cook and they cook pretty good of course for their Dominican males, for foreigners is another thing, we have to ask the foreigners.

but I am Dominican and I also complaint about how they butcher the animals, they have no idea how to make the nice cuts of meats. I don't know how it is in the big city butcher shops, like Santo DOmingo, I'm sure you can find nice cuts there.

LOOKS GOOD TO ME

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Another thing is the lack of good tools in the kitchen. I'll bet you'd never find a really sharp knife in that kitchen nor would you find a knive without some dings and chips on the blade. "They" (Dominican women in general and cooks in particular) just do not know how to keep a kitchen...sorry to be stereotyping, but that has been my experience..

HB
That is my observation, too. I've been in many kitchens of upper-middle class Dominicans, and have been shocked at:

1) poor kitchen design

2) poor organization, food and tools scattered everywhere, no rhyme or reason

3) poor quality of kitchen tools. I've seen knives so dull they might as well be cutting with a spoon

4) lack of knowledge of ^^^the above^^^; they don't even KNOW their kitchens are bad.

And I'm talking about Dominicans with money.

Additionally, in small, poorly designed kitchens, they think cooking is a team sport, 5 cooks at one time in the kitchen, bumping into each other.

I ask if they'd like me to help their kitchen organization (I own a restaurant, and have always known my way around a kitchen better than 90% of women), and they look at me like I'm a space alien.

And when cooking, there is NO cleaning as you go, reusing pots and pans. Everything goes in the sink to be cleaned later, and complain about not having enough pots and pans while cooking. There is NO getting all ingredients out in advance; in the middle of a process, they go rooting around in an unorganized kitchen looking for spices, tools, etc.

Yet another snapshot at Dominican culture. God, I love this place!:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

And when I cook, they are SHOCKED a man can do it; I'm sure "sissy boy" goes through their mind-and y'all who know me understand I certainly don't look that way...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This has been my impression as well. Some people I knew lived in a rented overpriced luxury penthouse in Bella Vista, and the kitchen was a joke. The cheapest appliances, nasty cabinets and some design/ergonomic gaffes like built-in wine racks on either side of the stove.

My theory was always that middle/upper class Dominicans consider that the kitchen is for the servants and that's why there's no attempt to make it aesthetic, practical or spend any more money than is absolutely necessary. Ditto washing machines - as the lady of the house (or the gentleman for that matter) is not likely to have to go near it, why bother getting a nice one?

There are however some monstrously posh and expensive kitchen places in Santo Domingo that leave me drooling, so there must be some exceptions to this rule. Same goes for Dominican men who can cook - they are few and far between but they do exist.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I guess I must be lucky, because my mother-in-law does most of the cooking in our family and she cut chicken at the joints....etc, She organises her meal preparation very well. She gets ticked off when my son and his girlfriend decide to cook sonething on their own. She always over cook roast beef though.
I've noticed that even most of the $300,000 plus house for sale on the property site have crappy kitchens.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
It is a bit ironic that the kitchens are so horribly designed - but the point about the servants may be the thing.

Is the meat there much different from N.America that the lack of sanitary control doesn't seem to be such an issue? I mean I had eaten that meat from the 'street front' butcher - no power and certainly no freezer/fridge.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Kitchen?

It is a bit ironic that the kitchens are so horribly designed....
Well, emulating the 'North American Kitchen Culture'.... ;)

There little cooking is done; mainly opening tins, throwing things in the microwave, unwrapping 'convenience products' from their plastic containers.
Most houses I've seen here do not have a kitchen, i.e. a room as a workshop where real cooking is done.
You'd normally see a half open space designed to look nice with a counter and a set of bar stools on the other side.

mountainfrog

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Well, emulating the 'North American Kitchen Culture'.... ;)

There little cooking is done; mainly opening tins, throwing things in the microwave, unwrapping 'convenience products' from their plastic containers.
Most houses I've seen here do not have a kitchen, i.e. a room as a workshop where real cooking is done.
You'd normally see a half open space designed to look nice with a counter and a set of bar stools on the other side.

mountainfrog
You have an open invitation to tour my kitchen, disproportionally large for the house size.:classic: