Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Me too. My problem is I am having a hard understanding libertarianism. Our self proclaimed libertarian thinks it is swell for the state to round up law abiding citizens and throw them in jail overnight.
This sounds like a US issue again.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
You ever see the inside of a public hospital here?
The DR does not have to worry about spending money on foreigners in their public hospitals as the quality of care and general conditions are sad and cannot cost much to keep in such a pathetic condition.
I would not bring my dog for treatment in a public hospital.
No foreigner coming to the DR would stay more than 5 minutes if they are ambulatory.
Foreigners and Dominicans who can afford it all go to private care facilities.
If someone does not have insurance and no credit card don’t they go to public hospital.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Yes, I would think so. But Americans and Europeans will have cash or credit cards.
Ya but what about the broke back whore monger who comes to find love on a budget BWM lives matter too.. his credit card is max from being western union papi...

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
you could make the argument that is exactly why a foreigner should be required to have an insurance so they don’t become the DRs problem in a public hospital. Public hospitals are for Dominicans.
The division public/private hospitals goes not along passport lines. In the DR it goes along the wealth lines.
An issue for the government is the deportation of ill, uninsured foreigners (after accident, stroke, etc.). This could be costly and therefore some goverments require insurance.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Doesn't the gov't insist on a policy as part of the residency application...

you buy it here - in RD - as part of the procedure... annual renewals

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
If someone does not have insurance and no credit card don’t they go to public hospital.
Private takes cash too.

But, you're right. For many Dominicans, public hospital is really their only and best option, but they don't pay for pharmaceuticals like insulin. People here die from easily treated but chronic conditions.

They do good work for cuts, scraps, etc. They definitely save lives and at least provide a basic level of care.

As for conditions, they are not the nicest facilities and I marveled at documents area which is a museum for paper records keeping. There equipment is used and probably donated. Deferred maintenance is everywhere.

However, they make due with what they have to work with which is not much.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Well I tell you the public hospital in Rio SAN JUAN is a matadero. In 2017, a guy got an accident on a 115 had an accident in front of our house and my cousin and I, we took him in a camioneta to RSJ. What I saw there is a bloody shame. We contacted his family and took him to POP.

Sep 22, 2009
Well I tell you the public hospital in Rio SAN JUAN is a matadero. In 2017, a guy got an accident on a 115 had an accident in front of our house and my cousin and I, we took him in a camioneta to RSJ. What I saw there is a bloody shame. We contacted his family and took him to POP.
In Cabrera anything serious always was transported to Nagua, where things ain't that much better

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well I can see my views are somehow considered extreme left or something. But yes I am ok. I will have another cortadito.
You are probably from a place that has cradle to grave so called free medical insurance. I am told most places are like that.
My home country and the DR are not like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.