Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
People don't seem to want to understand that. They're scared.
I have seen the fear disappearing quite a bit FINALLY. My ex was panicked at first even slept in the guest room (for all of 2 nights) after I drove down and hung out with friends back in April. NOW, she, as a business owner is furious with the draconian actions being taken. She'll be lucky to keep things going much longer after starting with nothing, working 7 days a week to climb the ladder which is so much harder to do here in the D.R. compared to many other countries. Another example is my son's wife and her family in the capital. They were not allowing anyone to visit, including her parents for the first 3 months yet on the 24th of Dec it was a full house of family and only one person was wearing a mask.
I think that the reason some people still don't get it is because the media and Gov reps keep pushing the numbers of new cases and not reporting that the percentage of deaths remains low.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
I have seen the fear disappearing quite a bit FINALLY. My ex was panicked at first even slept in the guest room (for all of 2 nights) after I drove down and hung out with friends back in April. NOW, she, as a business owner is furious with the draconian actions being taken. She'll be lucky to keep things going much longer after starting with nothing, working 7 days a week to climb the ladder which is so much harder to do here in the D.R. compared to many other countries. Another example is my son's wife and her family in the capital. They were not allowing anyone to visit, including her parents for the first 3 months yet on the 24th of Dec it was a full house of family and only one person was wearing a mask.
I think that the reason some people still don't get it is because the media and Gov reps keep pushing the numbers of new cases and not reporting that the percentage of deaths remains low.

We are now starting to see the payback for the insistence on celebrating navidad. Viruses don't recognise christian festivals.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I do not know how trustworthy Sosua News might be

Luis Albinader has even contacted Turkey to purchase a large stock of Russian Sputnik vaccines. .​

Could it be Sputnik, the final winner after hearing AZ was coming this month.
Neither Sputnik 5 nor the Chinese vaccine would be my choice.
The Chinese vaccine is reported as inexpensive,

Russian vaccine sent from Russia to Turkey or manufactured in Turkey?
Does the Chinese vaccine sell direct without going through Turkey?
Do not know about you but when it comes to vaccines I would not take one of these if I had any choice,
While they are low I have standards.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I do not know how trustworthy Sosua News might be

Luis Albinader has even contacted Turkey to purchase a large stock of Russian Sputnik vaccines. .​

Could it be Sputnik, the final winner after hearing AZ was coming this month.
Neither Sputnik 5 nor the Chinese vaccine would be my choice.
The Chinese vaccine is reported as inexpensive,

Russian vaccine sent from Russia to Turkey or manufactured in Turkey?
Does the Chinese vaccine sell direct without going through Turkey?
Do not know about you but when it comes to vaccines I would not take one of these if I had any choice,
While they are low I have standards.
And since you have standards you haven't said why you wouldn't take the Sputnik

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
It's obviously sad when a loved one dies regardless of the cause HOWEVER shutting down the country is doing MUCH more harm to the population than the virus.

It is probably not so clear cut as that, because the consequences of just letting the virus spread as it wants are also pretty horrific in terms of both health and ecconomy. People are also dying a particularly nasty death and in most countries cannot even be comforted by family and friends.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
??? what pray tell does religion have to with this thread or the virus. Bizarre !
We are now starting to see the payback for the insistence on celebrating navidad. Viruses don't recognise christian festivals.

LOL It was a reply to Garyexpat, if you did not read his message, it does sound biizarre...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Attachments

• 20A5FECC-5B3B-4381-9309-2BB639A17935.jpeg
    20A5FECC-5B3B-4381-9309-2BB639A17935.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 102

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Are we seeing a spike in deaths??? How did I miss that since I read the DR news every day. I believe yesterday 1 death was reported.
OPEN EVERYTHING UP< elderly, those with pre - existing conditions take special care and get the economy going again. Let people work and provide for their families. Let the small businesses that have been able to survive this long to try and stay open.
How many months/years of a very low death rate will it take before people wake the "F" up?

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
It is probably not so clear cut as that, because the consequences of just letting the virus spread as it wants are also pretty horrific in terms of both health and ecconomy. People are also dying a particularly nasty death and in most countries cannot even be comforted by family and friends.
A very small % of people die from the virus and another small portion suffer greatly from it, the rest not only survive but most experience little or no effects.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Are we seeing a spike in deaths??? How did I miss that since I read the DR news every day. I believe yesterday 1 death was reported.
OPEN EVERYTHING UP< elderly, those with pre - existing conditions take special care and get the economy going again. Let people work and provide for their families. Let the small businesses that have been able to survive this long to try and stay open.
How many months/years of a very low death rate will it take before people wake the "F" up?
How can somebody not notice? 1000+ cases for the last week or so and just a handful of deaths-many days with no deaths reported.

Sticks out like a sore thumb.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
How can somebody not notice? 1000+ cases for the last week or so and just a handful of deaths-many days with no deaths reported.

The deaths usually come 2 weeks after the rising number of infections

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
A very small % of people die from the virus and another small portion suffer greatly from it, the rest not only survive but most experience little or no effects.

LOL!! go ahead and open everything back up, when you have so many people infected at the same time, the hospitals overwhelmed and people dying on the streets and people unable to go to work due to sickness that harms the ecconomy. If 1% die that's 100,000 dead in the RD is that acceptable to you? If the hospitals are overwhelmed and unable to treat any more people the fatality rate would probably be be higher. When are people going to wake up that doing nothing just does not work.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

Once again you are focused on CASES, not deaths. I don't deny people are getting the virus but most, and all that I know are either unaffected or minimal effects. As I have previously posted I have been asking 2-4 Dominicans per day for the last few months how many people that they PERSONALLY know have died from the virus and thus far a grand total of 3 people have said that they personally knew someone. One an 80+ year old uncle with diabetes and one other, a girl working at Altese en Sosua claimed to know 5 which I find very suspect since 99.9% know no one. I told her co - worker that she should not work with her because she was bad luck.
At the car wash, the very nice lady told me of an elderly man who fell in the shower, had a blood clot and after a week plus in the hospital sadly passed away, cause of death COVID.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Yes, I g
LOL!! go ahead and open everything back up, when you have so many people infected at the same time, the hospitals overwhelmed and people dying on the streets and people unable to go to work due to sickness that harms the ecconomy. If 1% die that's 100,000 dead in the RD is that acceptable to you? If the hospitals are overwhelmed and unable to treat any more people the fatality rate would probably be be higher. When are people going to wake up that doing nothing just does not work.
Yes, I get it,,,,,,, The sky is falling.....

Status
Not open for further replies.