Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Did I miss the DR vaccine arrival announcement?
I was sent on vacation for being off topic specifically mentioning the U.S.

Would like to share my experience with the second Pfizer vaccine booster but obviously the shot was not administered in the DR.

Reactions: Carl.L

Carl.L

Banned
Oct 20, 2020
yes
Can you please stick to the topic of the thread?
Did I dream it or did someone remove my post about The WHO? If it was removed why? The post I responded to is still there and it's a valid question. The DR Gov't must be getting their information from somewhere.

In case I dreamed it if you don't consider The WHO as a valid source of information the where are you getting yours from?

• Haha
Reactions: Caonabo

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Did I dream it or did someone remove my post about The WHO? If it was removed why? The post I responded to is still there and it's a valid question. The DR Gov't must be getting their information from somewhere.

In case I dreamed it if you don't consider The WHO as a valid source of information the where are you getting yours from?

Hi Carl, it's back. Slip of the fingers on my part. My apologies.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

Even though the DR as an island is part of the world and what happens outside of the DR has also an effect on the DR,
The forum format has a very narrow DR only focus, which in my view has been a detriment to the quality.
Some of it may be the result of US discussions formally dominating every subject in an unpleasant manner.

The DR has very limited research capabilities.
Hence they do have to rely on foreign research and vaccine production.

You may have to mention the WHO research in regard to DR CV19
Or the CDC info in regard to DR travel to make it allowable.

You may consider it operating with blinders on, as to avoid shying the people.

Reactions: zoomzx11 and Carl.L

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
NAo so blind as those that refuse to see. There is plenty of evidence. A number of countries have had success with these medicine at stopping people from dying.

By "refuse to see" you mean agree that Hydroxychloroquin works when the FACT is that is has been proven to be ineffective and dangerous when used treating Covid patients.

Bob, what works in well known.
Why tout proven disinformation?
Have you taken Hydroxychloroquin and have some anecdotal stories?

People may get well in spite of what treatments were administered.
If a person is diagnosed with Covid and treated with Ivermectin and or Hydroxychloroquin then recovers it does not mean that those drugs caused the recovery.
If a person takes Ivermectin and does not get Covid it does not mean that Ivermectin prevented the illness.
Add in the "placebo effect and it complicated pinpointing the cause of recovery even more.

The only way to be medically certain a specific course of treatment directly resulted in recovery is thru double blind medical trials and lots of them.
Kind of like what was done with Pfizer, Moderna and AZ vaccines.

Ever hear of the Scientific Method, been around since the 1600s?
Criticism is its backbone.
Precision and accuracy is the goal.
Designed to combat stories and misinformation like you are repeating about Ivermectin and Hydroxylchloroquin?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
By "refuse to see" you mean agree that Hydroxychloroquin works when the FACT is that is has been proven to be ineffective and dangerous when used treating Covid patients.

Bob, what works in well known.
Why tout proven disinformation?
Have you taken Hydroxychloroquin and have some anecdotal stories?

People may get well in spite of what treatments were administered.
If a person is diagnosed with Covid and treated with Ivermectin and or Hydroxychloroquin then recovers it does not mean that those drugs caused the recovery.
If a person takes Ivermectin and does not get Covid it does not mean that Ivermectin prevented the illness.
Add in the "placebo effect and it complicated pinpointing the cause of recovery even more.

The only way to be medically certain a specific course of treatment directly resulted in recovery is thru double blind medical trials and lots of them.
Kind of like what was done with Pfizer, Moderna and AZ vaccines.

Ever hear of the Scientific Method, been around since the 1600s?
Criticism is its backbone.
Precision and accuracy is the goal.
Designed to combat stories and misinformation like you are repeating about Ivermectin and Hydroxylchloroquin?
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32205204/ This is just one small study. It has been used and is being used extensively in India with good results. Are trying to get a lobbying job with big Pharma?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

Protocols and lack of notification cause delay in reporting of deaths from COVID-19

In the last six days, the Ministry of Public Health has reported the death of 97 Dominicans from coronavirus. None of the deaths occurred the day before the notification, that is, the cases do not correspond to the days they were reported.

According to information from the entity, the increase in hospital occupancy, especially in intensive care, leads to an increase in deaths from COVID-19.

“What happens is that deaths are sometimes delayed due to the lack of timely notification. Sometimes an establishment may say 'I am going to notify once a week', although this is not correct, but many do. Sometimes we receive notifications of deaths that still occurred in December ”, the director of Epidemiology, Ronald Skewes, explained to Diario Libre.

He clarified that they are working with the provincial health directorates, which are the ones that go to the centers to verify that cases are being notified and in this way offer the most updated data.

Meanwhile, the President of the Republic, Luis Abinader, affirmed that the delay in notifications is due, among other things, to the protocols established by the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) to determine the causes of deaths.

“What happens is that, according to the PAHO protocol, they have to carry out a series of investigations to confirm that this person really died of COVID and that others who died were not of COVID. So that causes the information to be delayed, often up to ten days, "he said.

Abinader reiterated that even one death is "too much" and that they do not want anyone to die. In that sense, he explained that fatality in the Dominican Republic is "quite acceptable compared to other countries" in the world since it only increased from 1.21 to 1.24.

Demarcations

Of the 97 deaths recorded, 65%, that is, 63 deaths, occurred in five districts. The highest number of deaths in these five days was registered in the National District, going from 419 on January 21 to 437 on the 26th.

Followed by the province of Santo Domingo with 15 deaths, its accumulated went from 502 to 517. In third place, Santiago is located, which registered 375 deaths from COVID-19 and increased to 388, that is, 13 more cases.

To a lesser extent are the Duarte province and Puerto Plata, with eight and five new deaths, respectively.

Yulissa Alvarez

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Germany is coming out against one of the prime choices for vaccinating Dominicans, at least for people over 64:

AstraZeneca jab should not be used on over-65's, says Germany​

German authorities have blocked the use of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine on people aged over 65, the Financial Times has reported.
A statement by the Standing Vaccine Commission at the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), Germany’s main public health agency, said in a draft recommendation there were “insufficient data currently available to ascertain how effective the vaccination is above 65 years”.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Even though the DR as an island is part of the world and what happens outside of the DR has also an effect on the DR,
The forum format has a very narrow DR only focus, which in my view has been a detriment to the quality.
Some of it may be the result of US discussions formally dominating every subject in an unpleasant manner.

The DR has very limited research capabilities.
Hence they do have to rely on foreign research and vaccine production.

You may have to mention the WHO research in regard to DR CV19
Or the CDC info in regard to DR travel to make it allowable.

You may consider it operating with blinders on, as to avoid shying the people.

To many hypochondriacs plug up the hospitals. If people would guit running to the emergency wards with every little ache and pain the hospitals wouldn't be crowded.

To many hypochondriacs plug up the hospitals. If people would guit running to the emergency wards with every little ache and pain the hospitals wouldn't be crowded.
Visit your local Dominican hospital, my friend.

One would have to be psychotic to want to be admitted.
Average ER physicians eliminate hypochondriacs in under a minute.
The problem is not people "running to the emergency wards with every little ache and pain but the opposite.
Most suffer at home with illnesses until they can no longer stand it then go off to the doctor or hospital.
The delay complicates care and many wait until it is too late thinking they will feel better tomorrow.
Much easier to treat people in the early stages of illness or injury.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Germany is coming out against one of the prime choices for vaccinating Dominicans, at least for people over 64:

AstraZeneca jab should not be used on over-65's, says Germany​

German authorities have blocked the use of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine on people aged over 65, the Financial Times has reported.
A statement by the Standing Vaccine Commission at the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), Germany’s main public health agency, said in a draft recommendation there were “insufficient data currently available to ascertain how effective the vaccination is above 65 years”.

Don't believe everything you read immediately. From today's Guardian:
"Does this mean the vaccine won’t work in older adults?

No. “It’s important to stress that this is not evidence that the vaccine does not work, merely that the evidence does not currently exist to satisfy the authorities in Germany,” said Dr Simon Clarke, associate professor in cellular microbiology at the University of Reading.

Others agreed, pointing out that experts often disagree about the level of evidence required for such a move.

There is encouraging data for older adults: Oxford pointed to similar immune responses in younger and older adults, with AstraZeneca noting 100% of older adults generated antibodies towards the spike protein of the coronavirus after the second dose.

“We have seen good immune responses in healthy older adults in the phase 2 study and the MHRA reviewed further data on immune response in the phase 3 trial,” said Pollard.

The UK’s Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency itself has said there is nothing to suggest a lack of protection in over 65s while Oxford has said early figures were promising: “Preliminary efficacy data in older adults supports the importance of this vaccine for use in this population.”

Prof Danny Altmann, an immunologist at Imperial College London, said he was confused by the German stance.

“When I look at the AZ phase 3 data for the over-70 group, I see a good response, similar to the other age-groups,” he said."

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32205204/ This is just one small study. It has been used and is being used extensively in India with good results. Are trying to get a lobbying job with big Pharma?
Thanks for the job offer but at this time I must decline.
If I could be so bold.
Let us look at the big studies that are done in the real world and pass on the small studies done in India.
From your previous posts, I know you are aware it is possible to use small studies done all over the world to prove nearly anything.
Let us aim at uncovering the truth and spend less effort in attempting to prove controversial points in pee-pee contests.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Don't believe everything you read immediately. From today's Guardian:
"Does this mean the vaccine won’t work in older adults?

No. “It’s important to stress that this is not evidence that the vaccine does not work, merely that the evidence does not currently exist to satisfy the authorities in Germany,” said Dr Simon Clarke, associate professor in cellular microbiology at the University of Reading.

Others agreed, pointing out that experts often disagree about the level of evidence required for such a move.

There is encouraging data for older adults: Oxford pointed to similar immune responses in younger and older adults, with AstraZeneca noting 100% of older adults generated antibodies towards the spike protein of the coronavirus after the second dose.

“We have seen good immune responses in healthy older adults in the phase 2 study and the MHRA reviewed further data on immune response in the phase 3 trial,” said Pollard.

The UK’s Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency itself has said there is nothing to suggest a lack of protection in over 65s while Oxford has said early figures were promising: “Preliminary efficacy data in older adults supports the importance of this vaccine for use in this population.”

Prof Danny Altmann, an immunologist at Imperial College London, said he was confused by the German stance.

“When I look at the AZ phase 3 data for the over-70 group, I see a good response, similar to the other age-groups,” he said."
I understand perfectly what Germany is doing and why since I am able to read.

I suspect the DR will not focus on that set of details.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I understand perfectly what Germany is doing and why since I am able to read.

I suspect the DR will not focus on that set of details.

We'll see what gob.do will do in regard to international research and procurement of vaccines.
Most of us realize that 2021 will also not be "normal" with severe global covid consequences.
It seems if on can stay healthy, the DR is a good place to be and stay.
Even with restrictions going on, which are somewhat reduced the DR is more pleasant than many other places.

Here some interesting articles for those who like to read:

Carl.L

Banned
Oct 20, 2020
yes

Protocols and lack of notification cause delay in reporting of deaths from COVID-19

In the last six days, the Ministry of Public Health has reported the death of 97 Dominicans from coronavirus. None of the deaths occurred the day before the notification, that is, the cases do not correspond to the days they were reported.

According to information from the entity, the increase in hospital occupancy, especially in intensive care, leads to an increase in deaths from COVID-19.

“What happens is that deaths are sometimes delayed due to the lack of timely notification. Sometimes an establishment may say 'I am going to notify once a week', although this is not correct, but many do. Sometimes we receive notifications of deaths that still occurred in December ”, the director of Epidemiology, Ronald Skewes, explained to Diario Libre.

He clarified that they are working with the provincial health directorates, which are the ones that go to the centers to verify that cases are being notified and in this way offer the most updated data.

Meanwhile, the President of the Republic, Luis Abinader, affirmed that the delay in notifications is due, among other things, to the protocols established by the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) to determine the causes of deaths.

“What happens is that, according to the PAHO protocol, they have to carry out a series of investigations to confirm that this person really died of COVID and that others who died were not of COVID. So that causes the information to be delayed, often up to ten days, "he said.

Abinader reiterated that even one death is "too much" and that they do not want anyone to die. In that sense, he explained that fatality in the Dominican Republic is "quite acceptable compared to other countries" in the world since it only increased from 1.21 to 1.24.

Demarcations

Of the 97 deaths recorded, 65%, that is, 63 deaths, occurred in five districts. The highest number of deaths in these five days was registered in the National District, going from 419 on January 21 to 437 on the 26th.

Followed by the province of Santo Domingo with 15 deaths, its accumulated went from 502 to 517. In third place, Santiago is located, which registered 375 deaths from COVID-19 and increased to 388, that is, 13 more cases.

To a lesser extent are the Duarte province and Puerto Plata, with eight and five new deaths, respectively.

Yulissa Alvarez
It would be lovely if you could also post the link to the article. Thanks

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
It would be lovely if you could also post the link to the article. Thanks
Hi Carl, most of the links I post come from Listin Diario and Diario Libre.

You can sign up for daily and breaking news notifications with them and get this kind of info delivered to you every day.

I speak Spanish but I translate them before I post them here.

I get news updates from 7-8 different news organizations every day!

Carl.L

Banned
Oct 20, 2020
yes
Hi Carl, most of the links I post come from Listin Diario and Diario Libre.

You can sign up for daily and breaking news notifications with them and get this kind of info delivered to you every day.

I speak Spanish but I translate them before I post them here.

I get news updates from 7-8 different news organizations every day!
I read them also and none of that means that posting the link is not the best practice. Since you're already translating and copying and pasting it would cost you nothing to provide the source link. I promise I'll quit asking for the links if you provide them LOL

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I read them also and none of that means that posting the link is not the best practice. Since you're already translating and copying and pasting it would cost you nothing to provide the source link. I promise I'll quit asking for the links if you provide them LOL
I agree and I will. All it takes is another click or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.