Cost of living in the Dom Rep

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
maybe not so bad

newuser said:
If we use today's exchange rate of 27.00 RD to 1 US your cost per KWH in US dollars would be:
269 KWH at 13.17 cents per KWH
469 KWH at 16.53 cents per KWH
341 KWH at 14.10 cents per KWH

As examples to compare rates:
The cost per KWH at Pacific Gas and Electric was 12.60 cents per KWH in Feb., 2004
http://www.pge.com/news/news_releases/q1_2004/040226.html

Acording to the following chart the US national average price per KWH is between 7.60 cents and 8.60 cents per KWH
http://appanet.files.cms-plus.com/PDFs/ppcostsless2002.pdf

Decide for yourself, is electricity expensive here (when you can get it)?

Right now, yes, but it's probably not fair to base this on the current exchange rate when it seems the consensus is that it cannot remain in the 20s.

Calculate this on a stabilized rate in the mid thirties, and it's a bit higher than the US average, which should not be surprising. Cost of power generation is heavy on imported equipment, infrastructure and fuel. Some of the labor is cheaper, but it seems that most of the managers and execs and many of the skilled laborers in the power companies are North American or European, and are paid salaries commensurate with similar jobs in their country. (I've met several just on vacation).

The lack of reliability is a seperate issue.

Of course, we all know that paying customers in the DR pay a "premium" to make up for those who steal it.

belzwork

Apr 15, 2008
I have lived in the Dominican since 2001 in the smaller town of Bonao which is more to the mid south. I think if anyone wanted to find anywhere cheaper then they should go to the countryside or towns that are not so touristy. My rent last year was rd$4500 p/month for a nice spacious 3 bedroom apartment not far from the centre of town which was in quite a nice barrio that was pretty quiet. I am back in London now but will be going back next month and getting a new place which I would not pay more than $5000 for 3 bedrooms.
My electricity bill was never more than $500 p/month and that was with 3 computers on the go and fans and other normal household things.With an AC it would be more but I would be shocked if a bill came through for $4000 for one month even with an ac running allday and night even living in a more expensive area. I think someone is stealing your electric. This happens often. Happened to me for a a few months and i knew as i got a bill for $700 when i was by myself for couple of months and i was no way using that amount of electricity so the company had to come and check the meter to stop anyone stealing from it.
Some people find they are paying double what the bill should be as someone has connected to theirs to steal it.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
look at the date of the thread!! you are talking to people who left seven years ago

I'm still here, ;)
(and mountainannie and rio2003 need to retake 2nd grade arithmatic. The thread is 4 years old not 7, and 2001-2008 is 7 years, not 17.)

As far as I know there's no rule against bumping up an old thread, and he isn't responding to the 4 year old posts, but is supplying new information which is totally consistent with the topic. He does need to get the name of the country right though.

Always good to hear what costs are in areas other than the North Coast tourist zones or the big cities like SD or Santiago. I am hoping to settle somewhere like this after an adjustment period somewhere like Puerto Plata, where I could have more support from other expats.