cost of living

nebojsa

Jul 11, 2004
relocation & help !

Hi,

I'm also trying to move to DR from Europe. I'm from Serbia & Montenregro. I speak english and i'm in computing and programming. I'm 26yo male. My full name is: Nebojsa Jovanovic. I plan to live in Santo Domingo and to work there. I need somebody to provide me help with renting an apartment in that area. I need one bed room apartment for a 12 month period. My email is: andjeli@neobee.net I'm ready to pay for your services and help.

Nebojsa Jovanovic

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Your best bet is to stay in an inexpensive hotel whilst you look for an apartment yourself. Word of advice.....don't offer payment, you could set yourself up as a target. There have been a number of other threads in a similar vein recently, do have a look at what was said in those. Good luck!

sosso

Aug 12, 2004
seriously, how much?

My boyfriend and I are going to Cabarete in February to work as volunteers in the schools. Can anyone tell me how much we need per month to live?
Thanks

ps: I don't yet understand RD$... so US$ or english pounds (as this is where we live) would be even better!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Is accommodation included in your arrangement? If not, I saw on another post that windeguy knew of places for U.S.$350 per month, which is good value for that area, about 195 pounds sterling. I spend about 125 pounds a month food shopping for 2 people (does not include cost of meals out). That is shopping in Puerto Plata, which is cheaper than Cabarete. (I'm a Brit. living in Puerto Plata). Current rate of exchange is approx 75 pesos to pound, to help you with the maths.
And welcome to the DR. Very nice to see people volunteering their services. Good luck.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Doing Your Estimate...

Do a very conservative estimate of your cost of living...then double that. That should get you close to what you will need to live here. I always say we can get by on $750 a month. But it cost us $1500 a month. Food is expensive here. Rent is cheap. Gasoline is expensive. Electricity is cheap...but then we never have any. Little things add up. If you are not working then you will need even more money because you will need to entertain yourself more. It takes a lot of money to set yourself up comfortably. My experience is that car repairs are cheap here and parts also.

My experience is that although it is less expensive to live here...and not by that much...you are limited in your opportunity to make money. You pay more to live in the USA but opportunity increases substantially.

Well that is my two cents.

sosso

Aug 12, 2004
Cost of living - estimates

Thanks Snuffy.
Your estimate of $1500 is that for two with a car?
There's two of us going as a couple, we are volunteering in a local project so earning no money but being kept busy. We won't buy a car because we are staying 4 months.
Can I ask you for another 2 cents worth? It would be great help to make sure we are not inadequately prepared when we turn up!

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Curious

premadonna said:
hey I am planning to move to the Dominican Republic I needed some information before doing so. I knwo that went I move there I will have 40 thousand pesos I was wondering if that will be enough to get by? Also I'm unsure of what currency they use if its American Dollars or Pesos espically when it comes to renting out a place. if Someone could get back to me and let me know I would greatly apperciate it. Thank you.

IT'S AMAZING FOR ME TO HEAR YOU SAY YOU WILL BE MOVING TO THE DR, BUT YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IF THEY USE US$ OR PESOS WHEN IT COMES TO RENTING A HOME.
I'M CURIOUS......HAVE YOU REALLY THOUGHT ABOUT THIS MOVE? :ermm:

sosso

Aug 12, 2004
Good planning is the key!

:cheeky:
JANET/NJ said:
IT'S AMAZING FOR ME TO HEAR YOU SAY YOU WILL BE MOVING TO THE DR, BUT YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IF THEY USE US$ OR PESOS WHEN IT COMES TO RENTING A HOME.
I'M CURIOUS......HAVE YOU REALLY THOUGHT ABOUT THIS MOVE? :ermm:

Yes yes, that's the point! We are not going till mid February so I am doing the research now so that by the time the move comes, I know all there is to know and am ready to contribute the most I can to the project we are volunteering with! :)