Cost of living

B

batich

$2000- $2500 - very adequate

If you live by yourself so far $2000-$2500 a month is reasonably sufficient.
A decent one-bedroom appt will cost you $500. And you pay no RE taxes.
You do not need a car. Go bycicle and stay young forever.

Yo do not need winter cloth. Practically you need no cloth at all. Especially if you are reasonably attractive (you will be attractive if you jog or bike instead of driving).

Yo do not need to pay for home heating. Very often you do not need A/C. I am from the North but did not turn on A/C last three years. Not to save. Just got used to hot climate.

You have dinner out a couple of times a week ($25 each p/p).
Another $100-$150 per month for a female/male romantic company (if still in the game). (If you are reasonably attractive - it may be even free!!)

And even from those $2500 something is left every month to accumulate for a trip overseas once a year for a change (to watch the rat race of the "civilised" world).

All depends on demands, expectations,habits.

If you care about your health and do fasting one day a week (as per Paul Bragg) you save 15% a year on food.
If you want to be even healthier and to live even longer and do fasting two days a week your annual saving on food will be 30%!!
That is another extra $2500 a year in your pocket.
Another two-week vacation in Paris. Not too bad.

With a life like this there is no valid reason to die!!

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006

Yo do not need to pay for home heating. Very often you do not need A/C. I am from the North but did not turn on A/C last three years. Not to save. Just got used to hot climate.

with all due respect, you obviously don't have sex on a regular basis. ;) don't see how you could possibly take part in sexual activities regularly with no a/c. :cheeky: ;)

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
A decent one-bedroom appt will cost you $500. And you pay no RE taxes.
You do not need a car. Go bycicle and stay young forever.

Yo do not need winter cloth. Practically you need no cloth at all. Especially if you are reasonably attractive (you will be attractive if you jog or bike instead of driving).

You have dinner out a couple of times a week ($25 each p/p).
Another $100-$150 per month for a female/male romantic company (if still in the game). (If you are reasonably attractive - it may be even free!!)

And even from those $2500 something is left every month to accumulate for a trip overseas once a year for a change (to watch the rat race of the "civilised" world).

All depends on demands, expectations,habits.

If you care about your health and do fasting one day a week (as per Paul Bragg) you save 15% a year on food.
If you want to be even healthier and to live even longer and do fasting two days a week your annual saving on food will be 30%!!
That is another extra $2500 a year in your pocket.
Another two-week vacation in Paris. Not too bad.

With a life like this there is no valid reason to die!!

If only you had retired to DR 10 years ago. :ermm:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
with all due respect, you obviously don't have sex on a regular basis. ;) don't see how you could possibly take part in sexual activities regularly with no a/c. :cheeky: ;)

With the apagones and being poor many do on the island.:cheeky:

G

gary short

So if you fast 5 days a week then you'll save........ummmm........lots..and live longer therefore you'll be able to live on less than 2500/month.....sign me up.......wait I just ate an entire roast pig.......I guess I'd have to make some changes...

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
If you are self-empolyed and able to avoid heavy taxation here, that would probably be one of the few factors where the DR still makes $-sense nowadays.

Note that as a US citizen you will have to stay out of the country for some ridiculous amount like 355 days to not be income-taxed by the irs... (from what I recall)

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
Cost of life

This thread really hit a fork in the road. No matter, it is all good info.
So if I am decent looking, fast a day a week and have sex in a hot room rather than use the air conditioner, I should be able to live on $2500 a month.
Thanks
Otter

G

gary short

This thread really hit a fork in the road. No matter, it is all good info.
So if I am decent looking, fast a day a week and have sex in a hot room rather than use the air conditioner, I should be able to live on $2500 a month.
Thanks
Otter

I don't see how you'd need more than 1500us. I drink, eat well, travel occasionally, and live in what I consider decent accomadations when I'm there for about 1500/month.

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
Gary
I have done two seperate trips where I have spent 1 month each time. When I calculate everything from housing, car insurance, internet, phone, food etc... to buying an ice cream at Bon, $2,200 - $ 2,500 seems adequate to me. It is great to hear from people and what they are paying everyday items It really helps to formulate a budget.
Otter

G

gary short

There was at one point a thread that listed prices for everyday items and you could loosely budget from that BTW When I'm there I've found it difficult to spend more than 1500/month granted I eat local produce for lunch and dinner and don't spend money on hookers and bar booze. Though I do buy the local cheap beer and rum and occasionally eat out. I suppose next time I'll have to carefully moniter my spending.