Could it happen in DR? - Drug Cartels Target Mexican Military

C

Chip00

Breaking news!!!

DiarioLibre

A british military helicopter (most probably amphibian...) has just picked up 360 kilograms of cocaine, packed in 30 kilogram bails, thrown into the sea by an ?unidentified? airplane, at a spot about 40 kilometers SE of Barahona (coordinates: 17.44 North and 70.43 West). The British helicopter was later assisted by local DNCD vessels who managed to arrest several ?unwary and innocent fishermen? in the zone who were immediately handed over to the custody of a US DEA vessel (who also happened to be in the scene (17.44 North and 70.43 West) )?

"Draw our own conclusions" I suppose you're saying that the British gov't is in collusion with the drug running business????!!!!!

I see that they made a big drug bust and there going to get some of the runners - that's ok in my book.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i don't know much about the mexican situation but i can tell you the Coast Guard, DEA, US satellites, Homeland Security and a few other intelligence gathering entities are watching the carribean more than ever now thanks to Leonel and DR-CAFTA....

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Breaking news!!!

DiarioLibre

A british military helicopter (most probably amphibian...) has just picked up 360 kilograms of cocaine, packed in 30 kilogram bails, thrown into the sea by an ?unidentified? airplane, at a spot about 40 kilometers SE of Barahona (coordinates: 17.44 North and 70.43 West). The British helicopter was later assisted by local DNCD vessels who managed to arrest several ?unwary and innocent fishermen? in the zone who were immediately handed over to the custody of a US DEA vessel (who also happened to be in the scene (17.44 North and 70.43 West) )?

Progress, baby!

Chip said:
When the problem gets to the necessary "irritating" level, Washington will get involved in advancing the drug-combatting infrastructure here. It is just not happening yet because they have their plates quite full now.

I agree. It's pretty much what I said with my first post.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
"Draw our own conclusions" I suppose you're saying that the British gov't is in collusion with the drug running business????!!!!!

I see that they made a big drug bust and there going to get some of the runners - that's ok in my book.

CHip00, your capacity for critical analysis leaves much to be desired. A "big drug bust" was not made, the "drug runners" were not caught. The DR, US and British drug interdiction authorities obviously had foreknowledge of the drop, considering all thefirepower present, armed gunboats, a British military helicopter, plus other not identified hardware (e.g., the state-of-the-art radar on Loma del Curro), and they did not have a chance to shoot down the "unidentified" aircraft that dropped the drug?. Plus, why were the only witnesses, the unidentified fishermen at the scene taken into custody by the DEA, and not by the DR authorities? Do you still consider this ok in your book?

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Mirador, whats your direct source for the 'unwary and innocent fishermen' quotation you provide?

Here's what the Diario Libre article you cite says (English 'version' 2):

DNCD ampl?a investigaciones sobre alijo drogas
SANTO DOMINGO.- La Direcci?n Nacional de Control de Drogas (DNCD) dijo que hoy que ampl?a las investigaciones para arrestar a otros contactos que tiene la red de narcotraficantes que lanz? 360 kilos de coca?na en el mar Caribe, a 40 millas de Barahona, operaci?n en la que fueron arrestados cinco capos.
Sin embargo, la agencia antidrogas aclar? que tres de los sorprendidos en la zona, a bordo de una lancha, quedaron en manos de la Agencia Antidrogas de los Estados Unidos (DEA), porque ?estaban en aguas internacionales?, lo que decir que los miembros de esa instituci?n actuaron correctamente.
?Estamos investigando ese caso de manera profunda. Est?n bajo interrogatorio, en manos de la DNCD, dos de los detenidos en la zona, y confiamos en que podremos apresar a otros implicados en la frustrada operaci?n?, dijo el oficial, hablando a trav?s de su portavoz, el periodista Roberto Lebr?n.
Ram?rez Ferreira destac? que el decomiso de esa droga ?es el resultado del trabajo combinado que desarrollamos en el Caribe, desde hace un tiempo?, tras indicar que el apoyo de la DEA y de las fuerzas brit?nicas que act?an en el Caribe ?hizo posible ubicar la nave ilegal que lanz? la droga?.
La droga recogida en el agua, que fue recogida por un helic?ptero ingl?s, estaba empacada en 12 fardos de 30 kilos cada una. Los narcos en poder de la DEA son Manolo Soto, Ram?n Carrasco Carrasco, Epifanio Matos Rochitt, mientras en la DNCD est?n Florencio F?liz F?liz y Jairo Ortiz Carrasco.
Carrasco Carrasco y Matos Rochitt, de los tres arrestados por la DEA, figuran en el archivo criminol?gico de la DNCD, agencia que los detuvo en fechas separadas. Matos Rochitt, por ejemplo, fue arrestado a finales de febrero de 2003 por un caso de 372 kilos 260 gramos de coca?na.
Ram?rez Ferreira dijo que los miembros de la DNCD ten?an informaciones ?muy precisas sobre la operaci?n, raz?n por la cual actuaron con tanta precisi?n junto a la DEA y miembros antidrogas brit?nicos? que forman parte de ?lo que podr?amos llamar operaci?n permanente en el Caribe?.
La droga fue lanzada en la coordenada 17.44 Norte y 70.43 Oeste, donde acudi? la lancha de nombre Judendry II, con motor de 60 caballos de fuerza. All? estaban los tres hombres atrapados por la DEA, mientras en un segunda aparato, a varias millas de distancia, estaban los otros dos narcos.
- Diario Libre
"trabajo combinado que desarrollamos en el Caribe, desde hace un tiempo" .. "operacion permanente en el Caribe" tells me the International community feels it has already reached at least a mild level of irritation . ..enough to said actions.

Last edited:
C

Chip00

CHip00, your capacity for critical analysis leaves much to be desired. A "big drug bust" was not made, the "drug runners" were not caught. The DR, US and British drug interdiction authorities obviously had foreknowledge of the drop, considering all thefirepower present, armed gunboats, a British military helicopter, plus other not identified hardware (e.g., the state-of-the-art radar on Loma del Curro), and they did not have a chance to shoot down the "unidentified" aircraft that dropped the drug?. Plus, why were the only witnesses, the unidentified fishermen at the scene taken into custody by the DEA, and not by the DR authorities? Do you still consider this ok in your book?

You say it is fishy that the British helicopter "knew" where to appear and I will tell you that it is a sign of good intel.

You say that it is fishy that they didn't shoot down the airplane and I say they are tracking the sob all the way back to Colombia and the will certainly have a "nice" ahem "welcome" party when he gets back.

You say it is fishy that the DEA took control of the suspects and I say that why would they take the chance with the DNCD to let these guys get away?

The fact is Mirador you're obvious bias is somewhat disappointing to me as you really struck me as a highly intelligent person.

As an ex-military person of my country with close contacts in intelligence I can tell you there ain't no conspiracy pal, wishful thinking. Use common sense to realize it does not behoove the US in anyway, shape or form to allow, sponsor or otherwise promote drug trafficking or use - give me a break!!!!!!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Mirador, whats your direct source for the 'unwary and innocent fishermen' quotation you provide?

"the unwary and innocent fishermen" quotes are mine. I'm a true believer in due process. I don't trust the US "war on drugs" efforts. After US$ billions spent in their "Plan Colombia" and elsewhere, coca and cocaine production has actually doubled, and street prices have fallen. In the DR, according to my informants, drug drops are a frequent occurrence, to the extent that unsuspecting fishermen, campesinos, and even police authorities are picking up these drops and selling them in towns and rural areas. In the DR SW illegal drugs are currently cheaper than alcoholic beverages and very easy to obtain. I don't trust the DEA. I don't trust the DNCD. Why don't they shoot down the aircrafts?, why haven't they traced the departure-destination of these aircrafts, or the owners, pilots, etc. Maybe the drop involved 3600 kilos, instead of the 360 declared?. Maybe, just maybe, the whole thing was a decoy operation.....

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
yeah, and Quirino was an unwary and innocent rice farmer. Come to think of it, he still is. You see, I too believe in due process.

Last edited:
C

Chip00

"the unwary and innocent fishermen" quotes are mine. I'm a true believer in due process. I don't trust the US "war on drugs" efforts. After US$ billions spent in their "Plan Colombia" and elsewhere, coca and cocaine production has actually doubled, and street prices have fallen. In the DR, according to my informants, drug drops are a frequent occurrence, to the extent that unsuspecting fishermen, campesinos, and even police authorities are picking up these drops and selling them in towns and rural areas. In the DR SW illegal drugs are currently cheaper than alcoholic beverages and very easy to obtain. I don't trust the DEA. I don't trust the DNCD. Why don't they shoot down the aircrafts?, why haven't they traced the departure-destination of these aircrafts, or the owners, pilots, etc. Maybe the drop involved 3600 kilos, instead of the 360 declared?. Maybe, just maybe, the whole thing was a decoy operation.....

Mirador why don't you bother to read my response? I don't agree with yours at times but still take the time to read them.

BTW I answered all of your questions. Also, what experience do you have with the military, or anti terrorism or drug interdiction to be explaining things in the manner to which you do - with so much authority????????

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
As an ex-military person of my country with close contacts in intelligence I can tell you there ain't no conspiracy pal, wishful thinking. Use common sense to realize it does not behoove the US in anyway, shape or form to allow, sponsor or otherwise promote drug trafficking or use - give me a break!!!!!!

Sorry, Chip, but if you had intelligence contact, you would not post it on an internet forum. That's not how it works.

It almost never fails: most ex-US Military personnel think the rest of us are just gullible civilians. And the last time I mentioned this, Snyder, Scandall, and T-Bill accused The Kid of disrespecting the uniform.

-The Kid
I ain't just whistlin' Dixie

C

Chip00

Sorry, Chip, but if you had intelligence contact, you would not post it on an internet forum. That's not how it works.

It almost never fails: most ex-US Military personnel think the rest of us are just gullible civilians. And the last time I mentioned this, Snyder, Scandall, and T-Bill accused The Kid of disrespecting the uniform.

-The Kid

Says who? It is not against the law to state that I know someone in intelligence without getting into specifics. Remember I don't have a security clearance that forbids me to speak, only my friend.

Also, I was a civilian contractor to the DEA here in the DR to do drug interdiction barracks - I think I mentioned this. I ACTUALLY know a little about what goes on from the inside.

FYI there are trillions of dollars being spent and guys putting there lives onthe line every day to stop drug trafficking. Not only that in today's day and age DIRTY SECRETS don't last long at all.

Therefore, how in the hell does anybody think that all of these people involved in the operations could be aware of a conspiracy and not talk. Also, what about when the leave the service? FYI people without security clearance are under no obligation to keep their mouth shut about anything they know and many times they do speak - that is called transparency and is a good thing abount democracy.

As far as what has happened before I'm not interested in agendas etc, just the truth - and the truth is in this case is that the US does not sponsor drug trafficking.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
As far as what has happened before I'm not interested in agendas etc, just the truth - and the truth is in this case is that the US does not sponsor drug trafficking.

It's all out there, and on the BBC, to be exact:

The post-Taliban opium boom...

Hertell's friends...

C

Chip00

I know, because I was there. I saw it all

Fine Mirador - I'm glad you were were and I believe you in fact. However, you have still not responded to my repsonse to your post specifically:

You say it is fishy that the British helicopter "knew" where to appear and I will tell you that it is a sign of good intel.

You say that it is fishy that they didn't shoot down the airplane and I say they are tracking the sob all the way back to Colombia and the will certainly have a "nice" ahem "welcome" party when he gets back.

You say it is fishy that the DEA took control of the suspects and I say that why would they take the chance with the DNCD to let these guys get away?

C

Chip00

It's all out there, and on the BBC, to be exact:

The post-Taliban opium boom...

Hertell's friends...

How much influence do you think the US is going to have fighting drugs in a country the size of California and Arizona with a population of 31M with only 6000 boots on the gound? - especially when the trops are worried about getting there asses shot of or blown up by some suicide bomber. The next thing you will tell me is that the balance of the NATO troops are involved in the drug trade which implicates the European Union. Hold on I just peed in my pants, whahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004

You say it is fishy....

You say that it is fishy.....

You say it is fishy.....

Fishy? I didn't say that! The only thing fishy going on right now is my lunch, a Peruvian ceviche accompanied with a bottle of Concha y Toro, Casillero del Diablo, Sauvignon Blanc 2001.

C

Chip00

Fishy? I didn't say that! The only thing fishy going on right now is my lunch, a Peruvian ceviche accompanied with a bottle of Concha y Toro, Casillero del Diablo, Sauvignon Blanc 2001.

NOW your talking some real sense buddy! Although I would think that the ceviche accompanied by a "presidente" cerca yesterday and damned cold might be slightly better! :)

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Look at what happened near the Iraqi ..err Mexican border just this week:

By OMAN NEVAREZ, Associated Press Writer Thu May 17, 7:04 PM ET

HERMOSILLO, Mexico - Police chased the remnants of a criminal assault force through mountains near the Arizona border on Thursday after kidnappings and gunbattles that left at least 22 people dead.

Federal police helicopters and ground forces searched the Sierra Madre for fleeing gunmen on Thursday while state police moved in to replace terrified local officers who abandoned the town of Cananea, 20 miles south of the U.S. border.
Officials said Thursday that Mexican army troops had joined the fight Wednesday after a powerful drug cartel sent the assailants into town.
Armed with assault rifles and riding in 10 to 15 vehicles, they pulled four lightly armed city police officers out of police cars and executed them in a roadside park.
The invasion of Cananea ? a town that helped spark the 1910 Mexican Revolution when U.S. forces crossed the border to help put down a miners' strike ? showed the brashness and power of Mexico's ruthless organized crime gangs.
The first outside authorities to arrive in Cananea on Wednesday found an eerie no man's land where local law enforcement had melted away.

Sonora mourns dead police | www.azstarnet.com ®

C

Chip00

Look at what happened near the Iraqi ..err Mexican border just this week:

By OMAN NEVAREZ, Associated Press Writer Thu May 17, 7:04 PM ET

HERMOSILLO, Mexico - Police chased the remnants of a criminal assault force through mountains near the Arizona border on Thursday after kidnappings and gunbattles that left at least 22 people dead.

Federal police helicopters and ground forces searched the Sierra Madre for fleeing gunmen on Thursday while state police moved in to replace terrified local officers who abandoned the town of Cananea, 20 miles south of the U.S. border.
Officials said Thursday that Mexican army troops had joined the fight Wednesday after a powerful drug cartel sent the assailants into town.
Armed with assault rifles and riding in 10 to 15 vehicles, they pulled four lightly armed city police officers out of police cars and executed them in a roadside park.
The invasion of Cananea ? a town that helped spark the 1910 Mexican Revolution when U.S. forces crossed the border to help put down a miners' strike ? showed the brashness and power of Mexico's ruthless organized crime gangs.
The first outside authorities to arrive in Cananea on Wednesday found an eerie no man's land where local law enforcement had melted away.

Sonora mourns dead police | www.azstarnet.com ®

This will only fuel interest in putting a fence along the border with Mexico IMO. I really feel bad for the poor Mexicans caught in the middle, the ones living in that area and the transitional ones.

I hope to God we never see that here in the DR. The fortunate thing about the DR is that we are on an island relatively isolated and although there is trafficking it is limited and much more discreet. Also, the market here in the DR is much smaller for sure given that the majority of the people have little income and would choose to eat before getting high(most anyway).

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
This will only fuel interest in putting a fence along the border with Mexico IMO. I really feel bad for the poor Mexicans caught in the middle, the ones living in that area and the transitional ones.

I hope to God we never see that here in the DR. The fortunate thing about the DR is that we are on an island relatively isolated and although there is trafficking it is limited and much more discreet. Also, the market here in the DR is much smaller for sure given that the majority of the people have little income and would choose to eat before getting high(most anyway).

Oh but don't forget to ban the importation of Hollywood made movies and rock music to the DR, you know "sex, drugs and rock and roll". According to you they are a big part of the drug culture in the good old USA......PREPOSTEROUS.:paranoid: