Crawfish, mud dogs or langostino.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
By the way, mud bugs (mud dogs) are crawfish. Its just a nickname for them, I think they first started calling them "mud bugs" down in Venice, LA (the bayou). Langostino is a tiny salt water lobster. The same kind you see for sale up and down playa Sosua.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
By the way, mud bugs (mud dogs) are crawfish. Its just a nickname for them, I think they first started calling them "mud bugs" down in Venice, LA (the bayou). Langostino is a tiny salt water lobster. The same kind you see for sale up and down playa Sosua.

Maybe it was the fresh water kind that are being sold in Sosua? Lol
Fresh water or sea water. I am going to have them search both kind and have weekly feast. (if I can)..lol
Corn, potatoes, mushrooms, smoked sausages and cauliflower mixed in with the Zatarains based boil With mixed in with goodness.
My mouth waters just thinking about it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Fresh water or sea water. I am going to have them search both kind and have weekly feast. (if I can)..lol
Corn, potatoes, mushrooms, smoked sausages and cauliflower mixed in with the Zatarains based boil With mixed in with goodness.

Koreano, do you mind?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

Sounds like Low Country Boil to me.. Good stuff.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Go down to Playa Anadel just outside of Samana, ask for Freddy. You can get about 3 pounds for 1K pesos.

And no, they (Panulirus argus) are not lobsters. They just taste better.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
cauliflower in a crawfish boil???? Quick, someone check his temo.

Everything and anything you have or want, goes into the pot. Always with sausage, and shrimp. Sometimes with crawdads, some crab or even langostinos. When everything is cooked up, the pot is drained, white butcher paper is spread out on a table, and the whole mess is poured out onto the table for everybody to dig in. This is a Southern favorite. Add some beer, wine, music, and some Wild Turkey, and I believe you have a party goin on.

Here, I could see batata, yucca, corn on the cob, yotia, papa, langostinos, shrimp, and crab being used. Problem would be the sausage, and the seasoning as stated in an earlier thread. Low Country Boil Dominican style..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Everything and anything you have or want, goes into the pot. Always with sausage, and shrimp. Sometimes with crawdads, some crab or even langostinos. When everything is cooked up, the pot is drained, white butcher paper is spread out on a table, and the whole mess is poured out onto the table for everybody to dig in. This is a Southern favorite. Add some beer, wine, music, and some Wild Turkey, and I believe you have a party goin on.

Here, I could see batata, yucca, corn on the cob, yotia, papa, langostinos, shrimp, and crab being used. Problem would be the sausage, and the seasoning as stated in an earlier thread. Low Country Boil Dominican style..

the problem would really be the sausage. some fool would throw longaniza in the pot, and that would be the end of that.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

Lived 3 years on the MS Gulf Coast, and I promise, if anyone ever even thought of putting cauliflower in a crawfish/shrimp/crab boil, you'd best believe they kept it to themselves.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
the problem would really be the sausage. some fool would throw longaniza in the pot, and that would be the end of that.
Unless you could get a German butcher shop to possibly grind you some but all and all, sausage in the DR sucks in my opinion. The Andouille sausage makes the boil and without that specific taste, it's not low country boil.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Unless you could get a German butcher shop to possibly grind you some but all and all, sausage in the DR sucks in my opinion. The Andouille sausage makes the boil and without that specific taste, it's not low country boil.

can you get Andouille in the DR? and you are right; there is no locally made sausage worth eating. none!

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Lived 3 years on the MS Gulf Coast, and I promise, if anyone ever even thought of putting cauliflower in a crawfish/shrimp/crab boil, you'd best believe they kept it to themselves.

I was against it too until I saw a video on youtube. You won't believe how much spices cauliflower sucks in when you put in along with corns.
Boiling isn't rocket science but I believe it's an art. If I put about a beer mug full of Zatarains powder per 15lb along with dab of liquid concentrated type, stick of butter, plenty of garlics, onions, lemons and extra cayenne powder, I haven't failed to hear compliments. I experimented few other veggies but one or two cauliflower fit the boil perfectly.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you don't live in "New England" you are NOT eating great seafood anyway!!!!!!!!
COLD WATER is GOOD!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"Spiny Lobster"????????????????????????????
You can have mine!

Exception, fresh caught salmon from Washington state & "North"!!!!!!

May 29, 2006

You can get various sausage seasonings online at Amazon. I got a blend for something called Lanjager along with a device for filling the casings that looks kind of like a chalking gun. Kind of fun, really. I expect you can get the casings at butcher shops, esp any German one. With Andouille, you'd have to add fresh garlic into the meat blend. Most blends are sold with enough to make 50 pounds, and I make mine 5 pounds at a time. Smoking is another hurdle..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You can get various sausage seasonings online at Amazon. I got a blend for something called Lanjager along with a device for filling the casings that looks kind of like a chalking gun. Kind of fun, really. I expect you can get the casings at butcher shops, esp any German one. With Andouille, you'd have to add fresh garlic into the meat blend. Most blends are sold with enough to make 50 pounds, and I make mine 5 pounds at a time. Smoking is another hurdle..

you can get all different types and sizes of sausage casings at Baldom in Santiago.

May 5, 2007
Not sure if the cauliflower would change the taste much, but it's the idea of that green "brain" sitting in the seafood that bothers me

Living in Maine for a time, I got a very succinct course on lobster, especially the "real" Maine (Canadian, Massachusetts etc. same crittter, most people seem to know Maine brand better is all) lobster There are three types, plain and simple :Soft shell which as the sweetest and most tender meat, right after the lobster molts and grows new shell Downside is it does not ship well at all and unlikely to be found outside of area where it is landed

Hard shell, just before the little guy molts, great all around flavor, texture and survivability in transits

"Old shell" Hardest shell, most meat per pound of whole lobster but toughest and most survivable Most people outside of the lobster fishing areas have only experienced old or hard shell

There is an old saying "You can enjoy a great $8 dollar lobster dinner at any restaurant overlooking the wharves in Maine or an "Acceptable" $80.00 lobster dinner in Paris

The thing I have seen in south and Caribbean is the idea of grilling or barbecuing lobster, it is way too delicate Steam or boil period About most flavorful and tender is 1 1/4 soft shells, boiled/steamed 8minutes per pound of lobster

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
I love good extra spicy crawfish boil and I happened to heard DR has langostino/crawfish.
If true, I am going to order year or two worth of Zatarains seasoning and bring them in.
I know the season has started in LA but when and where can I get some in DR?

Langostinos (del mar) are small spiny lobster and Langostinos (del rio) are crayfish, and yes they are available here.

I've bought in el campo (riverside) in san pedro de macoris, I've bought highway side, I think kilometro 32+/- coming
back into S.D. from the good sir "papi langostino" and I've bought them from a peddler in the street here in S.D.

if its not riverside they are most likly going to be already cooked, "papi langostino" tells me they die quickly BUT alls I gotta do is call him and set up a time and come with my cooler and he'll let me have all i want alive.

Zatarain liquid available super mercado nacional.

These are not big crayfish, but they do settle the anchoring for mud bugs and I'm from alvin texas and we knows our
crayfish

g'luck

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
We can get them year round in the campo in Maimon(Bonao). They call them lagostinos or camorenes del rio. You can put traps out in Haltillo reservoir or the locals catch them by hand in the rivers. Tastes the same to me.. (source: From Houston, TX).