credit card cloned in santo domingo

Feb 7, 2007
As I am tired of the black outs, I am thinking of getting a hotel for a couple of nights
I have the following choices which one would you not recommend.

Hotel Discovery
Venus Bar and Grill
Independencia
Murcure
Palacio
Aida
Anaconoa
Moderno

sorry missed your last post.

I would certainly NOT recommend Hotel Discovery. I would not recommend that hotel because the Private Message there is not private. I hope you know what I mean.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Follow up PM from the OP.

===================

Hi,

I wanted to give follow-up on this thread:

I talked to fraud department of my credit card provider.

It appears that this summer there has been a great number of CC frauds.

Although it's possible to alter a store CC reader to record your card number, it mostly comes from tampered ATMs.

Fraudsters may have so many numbers to use, it may take months before they get to your card.

And since I had been in Miami a few months before the facts, my card could have been skimmed there.

So basically my CC provider said, you cannot really know who did what.

Feb 7, 2007
That's why I leave cash instead of card when I use hotels in SD, in case they insist on guarantee. With cash you get a receipt and they have to give it back to you (I don't use minibars or phones - have my cellular open plan).

Whenever possible, I ask for minibar be closed and phone be shut down, so no deposit is required. But sometimes they insist...that's when cash comes in... I tell them my card is Dominican Debit card and any amount authorized immediately becomes charge (they know that it's the case with Dominican debit cards, so they accept the excuse).

But sometimes they insist on a card (I try not to stay in those hotels - e.g. Barcelo Lina) and say they will only "enter it into the system" or pass it through the "iron" (that's what I call the manul imprinter) and get you sign the blank slip ...

... I found a trick for this one as well ... Because when they say they only imprint the card and do not put actual transaction on it, I had a friend of mine get me couple of those US$200 gift cards (blank card, no money loaded) that hang around in abundant quantities in wallmat, cvs, etc. So these guys can now be imprinting "that" card all they want, and can even clone it if they wish so.

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
Follow up PM from the OP.

===================

Hi,

I wanted to give follow-up on this thread:

I talked to fraud department of my credit card provider.

It appears that this summer there has been a great number of CC frauds.

Although it's possible to alter a store CC reader to record your card number, it mostly comes from tampered ATMs.

Fraudsters may have so many numbers to use, it may take months before they get to your card.

And since I had been in Miami a few months before the facts, my card could have been skimmed there.

So basically my CC provider said, you cannot really know who did what.
After a trip to SDQ at the end of July, my card was also cloned and used in Thailand and France, mostly in electronics stores. I suspect the cloning originated in a bar/restaurant in SDQ that I visit occasionally, but cannot be certain.

Some credit cards now have embedded chips and to use them with merchants who have chip based terminals, you enter a PIN rather than use a signature. If the card is cloned and used at a chip terminal, it will not work without the correct PIN. You can, however, still use the card like a regular credit card with signature at merchants that do not have the new chip terminals for processing credit cards. It will take some time for merchants to switch over to the new chip based terminals, if they even care to..............

jmiranda31

Jun 25, 2009
As I am tired of the black outs, I am thinking of getting a hotel for a couple of nights
I have the following choices which one would you not recommend.

Hotel Discovery
Venus Bar and Grill
Independencia
Murcure
Palacio
Aida
Anaconoa
Moderno

sorry missed your last post.

I stayed at Gran Hotel Aida and it was great,recently renovated and friendly staff. The manager speak fluent english.They have Generator in case is need it to keep you cool!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Slow Boat

After a trip to SDQ at the end of July, my card was also cloned and used in Thailand and France, mostly in electronics stores. I suspect the cloning originated in a bar/restaurant in SDQ that I visit occasionally, but cannot be certain.

Some credit cards now have embedded chips and to use them with merchants who have chip based terminals, you enter a PIN rather than use a signature. If the card is cloned and used at a chip terminal, it will not work without the correct PIN. You can, however, still use the card like a regular credit card with signature at merchants that do not have the new chip terminals for processing credit cards. It will take some time for merchants to switch over to the new chip based terminals, if they even care to..............

Even in No America, not enough retailers have the chip reading capability at this point.
My guess is that it will be some time before this level of security arrives in the DR

May 12, 2005
Do a search pf the forums here. I believe it was a year ago or so that there were some posts about a bunch of people getting arrested that worked for Visa in their DR processing center. They were stealing numbers and passing them along.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Do a search pf the forums here. I believe it was a year ago or so that there were some posts about a bunch of people getting arrested that worked for Visa in their DR processing center. They were stealing numbers and passing them along.

Sounds like they did not arrest ALL the culprits!
The ring leader must have escaped and found new mules to carry out the cloning.

Don SantiagoDR