CREES proposes 10% sales tax

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Miguel-Collado-CREES-Listin-Diario-1024x672.png
Miguel Collado of CREES / Listin Diario

 Tax reform need not be feared. There could be something positive to come out of it for the middle class that traditionally has been asked to pick up the tab for social services to the poor and government wasteful spending. The Regional Center for Sustainable Economic Strategies (CREES) says that there is no reason to panic over the imminent tax reform that “everyone” is talking about. In fact, according to economist Miguel Collado of Crees, taxes could even go down. His own organization is proposing a drop in taxes as are many others.

The proposals are designed to bring some equilibrium to the economy, provide funds for sustainable development, and create more jobs. Crees proposes that the despised 18% value-added tax known as the ITBIS be lowered to just 10%, but the base be expanded to almost everything, including most basic...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
That would be very brave and smart I think. To lower Itbis to 10%. Then I will really applaud the president. I remember when it was increased to 18 from 16% and I felt like giving up with the business. And of course the informality of business just increased. A 10% Itbis may actually increase tax revenue.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
That would be very brave and smart I think. To lower Itbis to 10%. Then I will really applaud the president. I remember when it was increased to 18 from 16% and I felt like giving up with the business. And of course the informality of business just increased. A 10% Itbis may actually increase tax revenue.
While I agree with you I don't see this happening. Politicians are a very greedy bunch. They don't like to give back money they think is theirs. Are there exceptions? Sure, but they're rare.

Reactions: aarhus

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Which Government gives up onbilions of taxes every year voluntarily ???
NOT GOING TO HAPPEN !!!

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Does anyone (any organization) track where the money gained from increased taxation goes... Meaning, how it is applied within the country... And who actually benefits from it?

And I don't mean the vague governmental "...budgets..." that are bandied around for PR efforts... I mean real reporting that shows actual (or as close to) use of tax money.