CTV W5 Investigation - Child Prostitution in Sosua

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Lorenzo plain out lied about that!!! Why would a minister of tourism lie about something so easy to prove wrong. Because he has it out for Sosua. I would bet that he was the one who contacted W5 and set up the investigation.

This is exactly like the last time they got an NGO involved with this story. You would be hard pressed to come up with something where everyone is a loser but this story comes close to hurting everyone in the DR. The only winner I can think of would be someone looking to purchase property in Sosua. Ironically, down the road they might be losers as well.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
off topic post removed by the moderator, infraction given.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Used to think Prostitution was the oldest profession till someone pointed out that begging is the oldest profession. Men were begging for sex before they came up with the idea of money for sex. I’ve walked Pedro Clisante Street many times. Never came into contact with what I consider to be underage women peddling sex. In Cuba it was in my face all the time. Same for some other countries I’ve visited over the years. The current chaos in Latin American countries is fueling the rise in prostitution in the DR. Pedro Clisante Street is now multinational with women from the DR, Haiti, and Venezuela plying their trade. I was in Turkey years ago visiting Ephesus, a former Roman town. They had an underground tunnel linking the library with the local bawdy house. I thought that was very ingenious.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
A while ago I saw a documentay about child exploitation and sex trafficking in several countries. In Cambodia, a reporter went to this place with a hidden camera and pretended to be looking for children for sex. There was a pimp and a this little girl who was very active in the "negotiations"; So, the little girl was like 8, and they were talking about a blowjob, and she was like :"If you don't like it, you don't pay!". That was so shocking! She acted like they were bargaining for fruit at the local market!

Often, the word "willingly" is thrown in when taking about cases with minors. I don't think that a minor is less of a victim if she/he sems to act willingly. There is always someone, and an ugly story behind that willingness.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
off topic post removed by the moderator, infraction given.

Last edited by a moderator:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A while ago I saw a documentay about child exploitation and sex trafficking in several countries. In Cambodia, a reporter went to this place with a hidden camera and pretended to be looking for children for sex. There was a pimp and a this little girl who was very active in the "negotiations"; So, the little girl was like 8, and they were talking about a blowjob, and she was like :"If you don't like it, you don't pay!". That was so shocking! She acted like they were bargaining for fruit at the local market!

Often, the word "willingly" is thrown in when taking about cases with minors. I don't think that a minor is less of a victim if she/he sems to act willingly. There is always someone, and an ugly story behind that willingness.
The point is that any sexual encounter with someone under the age of consent is not willingly even if in practice it was. Age of consent laws implies that it doesn´t matter what someone under that age thinks or decides regarding having sex, it must be looked upon as an unwilling act. That´s why its suppose to be punishable not to the underage person, but to the person that is above the age of consent.

Lets for a moment assume that the age of consent is 16 and that you are a 50-something. You can try to explain to the father of the 16-year-old that you and his daughter have the legal right to have relations by decisions of the two involved and that the father of the 16-year-old can´t do anything about it. After all, the law allows it. If the father is a normal guy, consider yourself lucky if you are able to walk away from that discussion with all your ribs, teeth, nose, eye socket, and nuts in perfect shape. No self respecting father would allow such an encounter, regardless if the law says its ok.

polack46

Nov 3, 2018
listen this is all b/s that one girl they interviewed was 17 maybe 18 they never looked at her i d ; i 've been coming to sosua since 2004 and never ever seen any child prostitution any where ; there use to be a bar years before I heard across from the montreal bar that was suppose to have young prostitutes but its been closed since 2004 ; and as far as families on the street after night fall you;d be hard pressed to see tourist families on pedro clisante ; but they are there further up the street if you go you;ll see lots of dominican kids and families on the street ors ide streets ; there are lots of girls here that maybe look underage but their Id say s they are over 18 ;so the reporting is wrong just like in thailand many look underage but in reality are over18 ; yes if she looks below 13 i;d say yes shes too young but i never ever seen any that young here ; yes many dress scantily too but that's how they dress here ;;i've been to practically all the clubs between here and naugua and never once seen any child prostitutes or families selling underage children for sex

polack46

Nov 3, 2018
boy are you ever wrong on that age thing ; ist of all if the age is 16 let's say in the dominican then its legal period ; and here in the dominican many young girls 18 are more than willing to go home with a 65 year old no problem for doineros or US dollars ; and more then likely the families know what's going on too ; like ask yourself this if your daughter is not working here yet has an iphone 8 and all the latest clothing and shoes and has her hair done weekly and gives money for family rent and groceries like where do u think shes getting it from ; its acceptable period ; here too in bars i've been offered a guys wife 4 sex in bars ;so stop putting your american or canadian values on the girls here ; in canada or the states if your daughter or son is at home living the high life with no job most parents just turn a blind eye to whats going on then scream if the kids get caught stealing or dealing drugs or prostitution ; here basically in poor towns its a way of life ; the do gooders comedown try to teach the girls to do hair cutting or other jobs but if there is no openings or the labor rate here is low you turn to some thing more profitable period ; so stop with the daddy is going to beat that poor guy up b.s

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Well to anyone who disagrees with the report there is one of the producers who says she was very involved and touts it as her project - in many groups in FB including Dominicano Spouses group. I disagree with it too. I think it is very exaggerated. That said anyone who knows Sosua probably knows about that one hooker who doesn't grow. She seriously looks 11. She doesn't grow not just in size but her face --- she looks seriously 11 years old. When I see mongers with her I think to myself you are getting off on legally banging what looks like a child - that to me is a pedofile. As a whole though the worst I have seen on the strip are girls that "could" be older teens but I couldn't even be certain.

TotalBlondee

Dec 26, 2016
Another nail in the coffin for good old Sosua. The more articles like these they
publish, the tougher its going to be on the honest hard working folks around the
town who are trying to earn a living.

"Of course, poverty stricken families aren’t the only ones looking to
profit off the child sex trade. It’s at the core of Sosua’s economy."

Is that another bitter *ss (western) women I smell?
Having both lived and worked in Sosua I am offended (as many of you
should be ) by STUPID WESTERN WOMEN who don't have a damn
clue what they are talking about yet make it appear as if the whole town's
economy is based a child sex tourism. Give me a ckfing break. Indeed,
there are some under age girls who work the strip but to suggest the
entire town's economy is based solely on this telll me one thing (LIAR) and
one thing only...

These western women will stop at nothing to prevent their western men
from traveling abroad to get a little foreign p*ssy :cheeky: This chic, her
news organization and the idiots who buy into this BS should be barred from
every being able to re-enter this country.

Sure hope you weren't talking about me being a "bitter western woman". Reason I posted the thread was so those who live and work in Sosua and have spent the last many years trying to "clean-up" Sosua and provide help and support to those who have been forced into the sex trade to support themselves and their families could let CTV know how biased the program was.. Just the trailer alone for the program was total b.s. I've written CTV to tell them how disappointed I was in the program and why they did not highlight what is being done to help young people (yes male and female) find another way to support themselves. Prostitution is legal in the DR. You will always have those who come to partake in those pleasures. Airing programs like this, especially when it's so slanted, only encourages those whose preference is children, pre-teens and young teens.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Sure hope you weren't talking about me being a "bitter western woman".

No. I was not talking about "you" as
I have no idea who "you" are.

Point I was trying to make is.. this "journalist"
and her "reporting" are hurting, not
helping the people of Sosua. Ya want to
do some real impact reporting as a western
journalist? Do some digging into the rampant
amounts of corruption down here and how it
continues to create the environment which forces
young boys and girls into these circumstances,
then report that to the masses.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Sure this is bad publicity for Sosua, but I bet she could find a lot more children and teenagers being sexually abused and exploited if she looked in Santo Domingo, Santiago and many campos all around the country, by Dominican men, tios and primos, and not foreigners. Far bigger numbers that is never reported... Sosua and pido foreigners completely fade in comparison, this is a very small, close knit community, I bet pidos actually avoid a place like this (they favor big towns where they can stay anonymous) .

Then again Canadian viewers will not give a damn about that and won't want to watch it, but Sosua, well that report is a money making machine which also makes her famous. The world we live in.....

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
This subject,has been talked to death.Sosua like Boca Chica has a long history of sex tourisum.Girls underage are common,more so with dominican men.X Pats who live in Sosua,Boca Chica,should know what they are moving to,and not show moral outrage. For all you so called sosua experts.Remember the old Anchor bar or Moby Dick bar? That was before you Seamonkey.So does anyone who has even the smallest amount of gray matter in his head,think sosua will change? The answer is no.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
@Bundel2014; do you currently live or visit Sosua....!? Any first hand recent report or experience in the area you mention...?

No point going back to the old days, sure also go back to report for western countries of their pido activity history, not very pretty picture I am afraid, many well-known famous people are being investigated (at least in UK that I know of), and the churches of course...

But right now, the "current" situation here, you can't say there are many under-age girls (or boys for that matter) are frequenting Sosua bars and streets and foreigners exploiting them. I have no idea about Boca Chica, but I know very well what goes on in Sosua. Occasional abusers here or there, but rare, and these days they are caught pretty quickly and efficiently (see the news).

It's just hype from reporters seeking to maximize viewing rates and profit.... (and those who believe them !)

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
Uzin,i haved lived in the the Dominican Republic for over 24 years,have been going for about 30 years.I have traveled to many cities.I now live in Jarabacoa.My point is very simple.Dr1 readers show moral outrage at the sex trade in sosua,underage,a woman being killed.Sosua is a sex town,has been since late 1989,has gotten worse,in last 10 years.The city officials always I say they will change,yet never do.If the entire town of Sosua,fell into the sea,i could care less.Just funny how many posts on the subject of hookers in sosua.To your point Uzin,i have lived in Sosua,and moved out.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
You haven't been here recently then.... ! So you are writing about a place you lived in many years ago and now just hear about it. Got it...

Yes, Sosua is a sex town if you like to call it that, nobody is denying that, but rampant underage abuse and women being killed left and right (it's one in so many years I can't even remember), just hype... Don't believe it.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
To me the point is that the only underage girls they could find for the programme were 17, I think. By that age, girls here know all about sex and many have children. A lot live with and are encouraged by their chulo or even their family. The gringos are certainly not leading these girls astray.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
THis is just very poor journalism....
Singling out Sosua as a 'haven for Under age sex for sale' is just an attempt to get ratings and resume points for an otherwise less that average Journalist. Where were the producers heads when this was all being planned?
I do not know what town, city or rural zone the Journalist came from; but, if we did a similar investigation we would find ''Family abuse, sexual abuse of minors, pedophilia, rape, prostitution , theft, drug abuse and a ton or more other actions and incidents that would 'shiver your timbers'.......
I am a Canadian and am seriously proud of my Country. Of some of the immoral goings on; I can only express my chagrin and disgust. I have been living part time here in RD for 10 years now ... Yes I do find the same immoral tragic happenings that was back home ; in good old 'Anytown Canada'. Just this week we had the Opposition critic for Justice caught with his pants down (on instagram). He went from a shining star to rusty nail in two days ; now he is out on his ass. What took so long?
It was unfair and wrong for W5 to take one isolated situation from 'mole hill to mountain '.
It was wrong to focus on Sosua and cause for a potential Tourist backlash.
Sosua is not a listed tourist destination like the nearby Puerto Plata. So my experience is that this will blow over and not even in the minds of the usual Tourist...However the dark side is that the 'Peds' will make note of Sosua and head here expecting young girls and boys to satisfy their demented sexual preferences.
Shame on you W5 for exploiting the young children for the sake of ratings ; if you really want sensationalism go back to your home towns and investigate the skeletons ratting in your own closets. "He who lives in a glass house should not throw stones''
Bloody awful is what it is Bloody awful. Russell