customer service survey

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
HOWMAR said:
In your 6 weeks here you have indeed embraced the worst of Dominican culture and work ethic. When we change a work rule, we make it clear it is for the benefit of the company and ultimately the benefit of the employee. Yes, we have goof-offs who want to be fired with liquidation. But remember, for an unskilled worker, without a recommendation letter from his previous employer, his job prospects are nil. As nobody in our industry will hire a previuos employee of ours without a letter of recommendation, I am sure it is the same among supermercados, etc.
If you look at the Labor Code, dismissal for just cause can include "ineptitude, lack of adaptation, refusal to perform work assigned to him, problems in understanding or geting along with his work companions, absence without authorization or permission.......

OK, now, would implementing and enforcing your new rules be worth the aggravation all in the name of "better customer service"? Would it be worth your time or worth paying someone else for their time to enforce these rules? Would it be worth the annoyance of constant verbal reprimands? Would it be worth the inevitable dismissals and subsequent dealings with the Labor Beaurau? Bottom line, will making you cashiers in your grocery story stand and not occasionally talk to their friends put more MONEY in your pocket, and will the difference be substantial enough to make up for all of the above?

I don't think that people go to a specific supermarket because of the customer service they recieve at the register. They go because of the prices, the items available, the convienence to their home, etc. Implementing these rules for cashiers will not bring any more customers into your store. You are better off directing your energy towards other things.

Strictly from a store owners point of view......

Larry

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
Lesley D said:
I think the OP's question is with regards to improved or recognizable cutomer service in the service industry which is where it counts the most. Happy customers guarantee repeat customers and in the DR that's where it's lacking. However, going back to my original post there must be an overall change in mentality that's why I referenced the way people drive. It's all about consideration, courtesy etc. the basics. You have to start from the ground up for the concept to cross over into other day to day structures IMO.

LDG.

yes!

but not just in the service industry and not just for people w/ money. planner, I uderstand what you're saying; you're looking it at in terms of ROI, but for someone who beilieves in being customercentric and has that built it, it is hard to not do it even while servicing low income individuals. of course, you will not go all out and dedicate part of your budget or revenue towards research, training and development; but still you would hope that at some point it touches the practical and emotional side of your customers even if they are not used to it. deep inside, they are longing for good customer service, we all are.

~the Don

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
Nal0whs

you got it down packed. increaase morale first then see turn into profits.

Nal0whs said:
In my opinion,

The problem with many managers here is that they don't take into account employee satisfaction and as a consequence, customer service is dismal, generally.

Even though higher pay would probably motivate employees to do their job better, it will increase cost on the employer and that cost will be passed to the consumer, not a good thing.

However, how often does an employee gets recognized for being his/her birthday?

How often does managers here in this country say "thank you" or starts asking with a "please"?

How often does a manager smiles to his employees?

Being sincere and nice to people goes a long way, trust me when I say that most managers are not like this.

You can also increase production by making employees feel proud of their job and their company.

A manager can accomplish such thing by combating boredom by using special assignments, recognition, rewards, activities, or other treatments to pump things up and add some fun and excitement to the workplace.

A manager who reminds his employees how much he appreciate thems (afterall, without employees there is no business) truly goes a long way.

Saying something nice but sincere about everyone always help. Giving positive feedback before success, not after and recognizing sustained effort, etc.

There is plenty that can be done to increase productivity, make employees happier, and maintain a good level of customer service without increasing one's cost by much, if anything.

These are things that work, regardless what the person is going through in his/her personal life (with few exceptions) and/or his/her habits and unproductive cultural traits.

Most managers here don't know how to be managers because they let the power issue get to their head (ie. I'm the boss and the employee must do what I say, period) attitude.

-NAL

BTW, for the managers reading this, get into the habit of preparing a "joke of the day" for your employees. Try it, the results will be noticeable, especially when coupled with what I have presented here. You will notice a change in the general attitude of your employees and a drop in firings and disatisfaction.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Larry said:
OK, now, would implementing and enforcing your new rules be worth the aggravation all in the name of "better customer service"? Would it be worth your time or worth paying someone else for their time to enforce these rules? Would it be worth the annoyance of constant verbal reprimands? Would it be worth the inevitable dismissals and subsequent dealings with the Labor Beaurau? Bottom line, will making you cashiers in your grocery story stand and not occasionally talk to their friends put more MONEY in your pocket, and will the difference be substantial enough to make up for all of the above?

I don't think that people go to a specific supermarket because of the customer service they recieve at the register. They go because of the prices, the items available, the convienence to their home, etc. Implementing these rules for cashiers will not bring any more customers into your store. You are better off directing your energy towards other things.

Larry
Well you should fit right in to system in place. How many times have I not entered the supermercado to buy one or two items and paid more in a colmado because I didn't want to wait forever to checkout.

You might be surprised. Improving customer service doesn't have to be adversarial between employer-employee. Good management is good management. Adapting good management principles to poor work habits brings one down to lower profits. I have found that when we set a work rule, and explain the rationale for the rule, the employees are willing to work with us for the greater good. Ask any empoyee of a company that has gone out of business, leaving them without a job, last paycheck or liquidation.
But to dictate to, demean, abuse or simply ignore your employees dooms a business to mediocrity or failure. The job of management is to identify how to improve a business, work to improve. Not to ignore it, which you seem to advocate.
By the way, where is this sucessful store you own, so we can visit and learn?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Nal0whs said:
In my opinion,

The problem with many managers here is that they don't take into account employee satisfaction and as a consequence, customer service is dismal, generally.

Even though higher pay would probably motivate employees to do their job better, it will increase cost on the employer and that cost will be passed to the consumer, not a good thing.

However, how often does an employee gets recognized for being his/her birthday?

How often does managers here in this country say "thank you" or starts asking with a "please"?

How often does a manager smiles to his employees?

Being sincere and nice to people goes a long way, trust me when I say that most managers are not like this.

You can also increase production by making employees feel proud of their job and their company.

A manager can accomplish such thing by combating boredom by using special assignments, recognition, rewards, activities, or other treatments to pump things up and add some fun and excitement to the workplace.

A manager who reminds his employees how much he appreciate thems (afterall, without employees there is no business) truly goes a long way.

Saying something nice but sincere about everyone always help. Giving positive feedback before success, not after and recognizing sustained effort, etc.

There is plenty that can be done to increase productivity, make employees happier, and maintain a good level of customer service without increasing one's cost by much, if anything.

These are things that work, regardless what the person is going through in his/her personal life (with few exceptions) and/or his/her habits and unproductive cultural traits.

Most managers here don't know how to be managers because they let the power issue get to their head (ie. I'm the boss and the employee must do what I say, period) attitude.

-NAL

BTW, for the managers reading this, get into the habit of preparing a "joke of the day" for your employees. Try it, the results will be noticeable, especially when coupled with what I have presented here. You will notice a change in the general attitude of your employees and a drop in firings and disatisfaction.
I agree, management/labor is a two-way street. We feel it is important to recognize the positive actions of employees. We give employees the day off on their birthdays. We create team spirit. We treat the teams that perform the best to a pizza party. Individual employees who excel are take out to dinner. Something as simple as a candy bar given to each employee can raise their spirits and enthusiasm. To be sucessful it doesn't have to be management versus employee. It should be management encouraging employees to excel by following a good work ethic.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Howmar and donreal I do not own a store. When I said strictly from a store owners point of view, I was trying to give the flip side of the topic. I was trying to give reasons why in some areas, from a buisness perspective, it might not be worth the hassle, especially in a country such as this and with it's labour laws and the poor work ethic that is ingrained in the culture to begin with.

Howmar, I see you point of view and I appreciate your insight. However, the smart remarks and snotty attitude that permeate many of your posts are not necessary. I don't believe I included the same attitude in my posts. I was simply adding a twist to the discourse that I believe had been absent.

Howmar, I have met you and enjoyed your company in person. Too bad you don't come across the same way on here.

Larry

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Larry said:

Larry
Sorry for misunderstanding. You are an expert on managing a business in the DR where don't have any experience, but question our opinions of managing in the DR where we do have experience. Until I have worked with a staff of over 200, I couldn't imagine the difference between Dominican and American business culture. But adapting standards to local standards dooms one to failure.

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
HOWMAR said:
You are an expert on managing a business in the DR

No Martin, I am not nor did I ever claim to be, anywhere. Additionally, I did not claim to own a store. I explained I was trying to give what I believed would be a store owners point of view. I thought I cleared that up in my last post.

Anyhow, like I said before, I am not here to dish out any attitude, nor will I get dragged into doing so. I will let you guys back to your discussion. I have work to do...

Larry

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Larry said:
Howmar, I see you point of view and I appreciate your insight. However, the smart remarks and snotty attitude that permeate many of your posts are not necessary. I don't believe I included the same attitude in my posts. I was simply adding a twist to the discourse that I believe had been absent.

Howmar, I have met you and enjoyed your company in person. Too bad you don't come across the same way on here.
Larry
Larry, I apologize for the lapse in decorum. In the time here I guess that I have been so swamped by theorists givng opinions and arguing against real-life experience that I cut to the chase. I simply can tell you from my experience working with over 200 Dominican workers, customer service skills can be increased without additional cost to the employer. Relying on perceptions of Dominican society and accepting poor work habits is not helpful to the employer, and in the long-run, to the employee.
Now, I only wish I could get you to fold at the poker table.
See you soon,
Howmar

GDiaz

Sep 26, 2005
Check out the Whole Foods Market philosophy. They have a knack for customer service regardless of status. I work part time and have found that the customer, even when upset about something, leaves happy and comes back for more. Also, it has alot to do with empowerment of the workers as a team. If the employees are happy, the customers are happy. They are related more than most think.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
HOWMAR said:
Larry, I apologize for the lapse in decorum. In the time here I guess that I have been so swamped by theorists givng opinions and arguing against real-life experience that I cut to the chase. I simply can tell you from my experience working with over 200 Dominican workers, customer service skills can be increased without additional cost to the employer. Relying on perceptions of Dominican society and accepting poor work habits is not helpful to the employer, and in the long-run, to the employee.
Now, I only wish I could get you to fold at the poker table.
See you soon,
Howmar

No problem Martin. See ya around Thanksgiving.

Larry

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Larry said:
And you are going to impose these rules and pay the cashiers how much more to abide by them? Without a raise, I am sure the cashiers would either quit and get a job at another grocery store or simply ignore the rules and wait for you to fire them.

Larry

Sure. . . .jobs are so easy to come by in the DR. If the cashier quit there are tons of people that would want the job. This is the the US we are talking about where getting people to work "menial" jobs can be tough.

I was at Eagles once. there were over 10 waitresses and 4-5 customers. I sat there for 40 minutes with an empty beer bottle, before I had to go up to the manager and ask for a check.

I asked the guy how many waitresses he had. . . .and he answered. . ..I said do you think it is normal for there to be MORE wait staff than customers and a customer has to wait 40 minutes without a single waitress even coming close to asking if he needed anything else? He said of course not. . . . .I asked why I had to go find him to get my bill. . . . . he apolpgized and wanted me to sit down and have anotehr beer on him. . . . .I said no. . . .I will go some place that wants my business. . . .and walked across the street to Congas. . . .;-)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
customer service.

I've lived in the States and currently (still) live in Spain.
In the States, we enjoyed "customer Service" a great deal:
You'd be be greeted with a big simle, treated respect and you can bring every thing back for a full refund 30 and up to 90 days later, at some places like Targett and Home Depot, even without a receipt (we have even sold back things to Targett we later recalled having bought somewhere else). At restaurants you wouldn't wait 40 minutes watching the last bubble of your beer burst but on the other hand, if you wouldn't ask for more, you'd be presented with you check, just a friendly reminder that it's time to leave, but again with a nice smile.
Now some of this, especially the return and refund policies cost money, on the other hand it generates sales, BIG times... much more than returns and restocking costs.
Then we moved to Spain. Wait 40 minutes not with an empty beer but just waiting to be greeted or noted in anyway. No returns in general or if so only at multinational companies and then only with all sorts of formalities and obstacles and eventually you'd walk out annoyed and holding some type of store credit which you will find out late, expires in 30 days. So, you bring something back, get "fake" money for it and after a while, if you just didn't find anythig you'd like, you write a 100% loss. Otherwise it's wait, wait, wait, we can't get it, try this it's the "same" (it is not) and so forth. Interestingly, even with the almost 100% absence of any grady of customer service, things are more expensive than in the US. And keep in mind, Spain is not the center of Europe.
Going to the DR... I usually get treated with a smile and if it's female staff, with a nice "mi amor". Still, hings are far form perfect but they will try to make it work somehow. And then you hit a line of cashiers at a super mercado, talking to each other and paying zip attention to you, where's the problem? Chairs may be an issue (I find that one interesting, seriously!), but the main issue is not that girl or woman, it's a big latin issue... El chefesito! Some suit wearing kid with some kind of title from some kind of "University" and the leverage of an uncle. Has no idea about the business, does not really care anyway, is usually not there, and if there, just molesting the better looking half dozan of the female staff and ****ing off the other half with some senseless comanding.
So, we hope on American entrepreneurship moving into the DR? Maybe! Things could get cheaper or not. So far what do we see? Pizza Hut... just as bad as "back home", just a little more expensive. Not a good example.
Carrefour... not American, but an early European copy of American style super markets... runs similar as in Europe. Not a good example either.
Will Targett, K-Mart, Home Depot, Sears and the other kings of generic customer service ever move into the country? And will / would they offer the same service as "back home"? I think that it would porve difficult. Why? Well you see, in the US they sell a lot of things to people saying "... hey, just take it home, try it and if you don't like it you bring it back and we'll be glad to refund your money". As many there may be that don't get fully happy with their new adquisition, the market has proven that a great majority will not take advantage of their possibility of bringing it back for a refund. Some will and you may think they are a great number (and they may be) but it's an small number when compared to those who won't. Can that same model be repeated in the DR? I don't think yet. People are still way to street smart. They will bring things back on day 89... and even if they like it, they'll just pick up a new one and play the whole thing again and again and will run a "NEW" household coverd by warranty and full refund back up for life.
So is it laws? The country is already being swamped with laws, most of which are not being taken real serious. Laws affect only pricing mostly and limits what is being offered to what is not so much legislated.
I believe that the key ingredient needed is competition. It is competition that created the market place USA. It is the lack of competition in Spain which leaves that country ages behind Germany and other Central European countries, price and quality wise.

... J-D.