Customs found a new way to punish online buyers

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I order well over that amount, so, even with a second one it would not be enough.

There is also the problem with Amazon that they send too many packages even when it is a single order and "group into as less packages as possible" is checked.
I wonder then how customs will interpret several package arriving at the same time, since they group several packages to the same buyer together to see if it reaches 200 dollars, I wonder if now they will count them separate to get to 20. (Or both)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"since they group several packages to the same buyer together to see if it reaches 200 dollars,"

Really? Never happened to me with all the stuff I bought over the years.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'd almost say my orders get split into multiple packages most of the time.

The couriers took DGM to court before and I suspect they will do so again this time. It's kind of hard to believe that many businesses are stocking items for resale $200 at a time. I don't very often buy the same items with any sort of regularity. If I was commercial, I'd have a very eclectic market stall.

This smells like a simple attempt to reduce the use of the $200 exemption because DGM can't seem to find a way to eliminate it completely which I believe to be their preference.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
"since they group several packages to the same buyer together to see if it reaches 200 dollars,"

That's what I heard / read they supposedly do, no experience with it because my orders are always below 200.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I understand this is meant for a single package that should not be over 200 USD. I never was taxed when I received several packages exceeding a total value over 200 USD even when they did arrive the same day.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
My previous comment was speculation. Forgot to mention.

Btw, why is 200 the number? Based on what? Has it moved up for inflation?

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
If DR officials were smart they should be working with Amazon to, reduce taxes, costs, red tape, so Amazon could build a couple fulfillment centers in the DR.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
If there's resale, then it is commercial. I think they're going after folks bringing in stuff to reseller. I'm sure 10 pairs of Levi's is a bit suspicious. Probably abused by Dominican Americans. Imagine having a biz I in the states and competition bringing stuff in cheap and undercutting. Customs may have a legit reason, all corruption aside.

2 cents

I would order 10 pairs of shorts from Old Navy when they were having a sale, and they'd all be for me. 3-4 different styles, 3-4 different colors.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

Jet Pack nor Taino did this. I had 2 orders come in the same day, value over $250 total, because I screwed up the timing. No issues or "extra" fees.

piratadominicana

Feb 9, 2017
If they didn't have an outrageous 36% import tax for products, (plus then itbis coming in at 18% making the end product too expensive for decent retailers to bother), then maybe there would more availability of better products, and not so many people would need to order online, but when we only have the option of cheap chinese tat, sometimes sadly I really wonder if the island wants to advance at all.....:confused: