D.R. Telecoms and the Ins and Outs of "Recarga."

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Hello All,

(1) The first item is a technical matter. Probably no one here will be able to explain it unless you’ve had the same problem. With an Altice account and SIM card I deposited RD$ 500. Every time I bought a plan, “a paquetico,” from the app on my iPhone, even though the plan purchase was successful, the internet always failed. For example, this morning, I bought 5 GB for five days but, again, no internet. I then found a technician and paid him a small fee, $150.00. He worked on my phone for 20 minutes, and I was up and running with Altice—my first time on the net! (At home, using Altice wi-fi, a Triple Play package, there is never a problem). He explained that there were two issues: one with my configuration (my lack of understanding) and the other a problem with Altice where, for some customers, when you buy a plan from the app, that it creates problems. To avoid these problems, he said I should uninstall the app and buy “recarga” directly. Does anyone have experience with this specific problem related to Altice and the app?
(2) This second item should be more germane to members here. To me, buying “recarga” is a black box—I don’t understand it. Everyone I speak to repeats the same mantra: “Pay 150 for five days.” There seems to not exist any document, a data sheet, a piece of paper, that explains the relationship between how much you pay, how much data your receive, and the time limit on the data. Beyond that “Pay 150 for five days,” I’m lost and everyone I speak with cannot explain more. For example: a. When I go to the Altice office on El Conde, they tell me that they don’t sell “recarga”! What the hell? They sell Altice “recarga” at a Jumbo cash register but Altice doesn’t sell Altice? That seems preposterous, b. This morning, as a test, I bought 50 pesos of “recarga.” Then I receive a text message that I’ve used 80%. Does that mean that even though I bought a plan for one day, then when I reach 100%, my plan ends just hours after I bought it? And what to do then? (3) It’d be great if someone could explain the different amounts of money I could pay at a cash register (or wherever they sell “recarga”) and how those amounts of money correspond to time and data. Why there is not some piece of paper that explains this critical information is beyond me. And if you go to the Altice office, they don't know!
(3) I only use internet data for my smartphone once per week.. If I pay for five days, I may only use it once. On the other hand, if I pay for more time, I can just forget about it and not worry when I need to buy. What do you think is my best option?
(4) This is for other "gotchas" or solutions to problems that you might want to mention that can help other members here.
For somebody that comes to visit, i can understand going through this BS. For anybody else i really don't. Get a Postpago plan that fits your needs and you pay half than you pay now without this "recarga" headache..

Reactions: JD Jones

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
For somebody that comes to visit, i can understand going through this BS. For anybody else i really don't. Get a Postpago plan that fits your needs and you pay half than you pay now without this "recarga" headache..
When even Belkis and all her friends in the barrio can do a recarga, it can't be that difficult at all. It's simple and I only spend about $250 pesos/mo with a recarga - a fraction of what I'd have to pay for a plan.

Reactions: Squat

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have pretty much zero need for internet when I'm out of my house. I can still call anyone I want to if need be, and anyone with either credit from a recarga on their phone, or a plan, can call me. If I need internet for some reason, and I do from time to time, I just press #100# and add a "paquetico" for as many days as I want. It's really very simple.

Reactions: malko

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I have pretty much zero need for internet when I'm out of my house. I can still call anyone I want to if need be, and anyone with either credit from a recarga on their phone, or a plan, can call me. If I need internet for some reason, and I do from time to time, I just press #100# and add a "paquetico" for as many days as I want. It's really very simple.

Exactly, I do the same. Internet at home, and when out and about and I need internet, I ll buy a 3 day internet pack for 90 pesos.

The post-pago rob you blind here..... Expensive AF.
Now I know our american friends are used to overprices phone plans, however in Europe I use a plan that gives me unlimited calls and SMS all over Europe, US and Canada + 120 GB of data for same countries for 13.89€ per month.
So no way I am paying 2k pesos for a couple of GB. Call me tacaño 😆

Reactions: josh2203 and cavok

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
The post-pago rob you blind here..... Expensive AF.
Now I know our american friends are used to overprices phone plans, however in Europe I use a plan that gives me unlimited calls and SMS all over Europe, US and Canada + 120 GB of data for same countries for 13.89€ per month.
So no way I am paying 2k pesos for a couple of GB. Call me tacaño 😆
While I know that telco in the DR is still much more expensive than in the EU, please out a link where do you get a plan with those specs in EU (which operator) with less than 14 EUR a month?

No, I would also never pay 2k for a couple of GB, so either you are not a tacano or I am too...

Reactions: malko

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I believe aside from my wife, her whole family in the DR uses prepago, and they are not complaining of any issues. I'm not sure but I believe they use Altice as when we go the campo, I lose signal where as they do not and I know Altice has a tower there whereas Claro does not...

malko

Jan 12, 2013
While I know that telco in the DR is still much more expensive than in the EU, please out a link where do you get a plan with those specs in EU (which operator) with less than 14 EUR a month?

No, I would also never pay 2k for a couple of GB, so either you are not a tacano or I am too...

I have Red by SFR ( each operator has a cheaper sub company that is only available on internet --- as opposed to having physical stores ).

My plan, that I can change anytime, no fixed contract, is 8.99€ per month for unlimited calls and SMS and 80 Gb of 4g internet . Roaming does not exist in the EU, so I can use it in all of Europe +UK.
However Switzerland is not included 🫤. So I add on an option that gives me 40 Gb of 4g internet in Switzerland+ the US and Canada ( which I couldn't care less for, but that's the option combo ) for 5€ a month.

Google " RED by SFR" . They have a bunch of plans, in France. There is also a law that allows to change operator at no cost, whenever we want.
I change between my current and another which is 15€ per month, offered by SOSH, yearly whenever one or the other has special offers.

P.S. I need Switzerland on my phone, which limits my option.
FREE has an plan in France which is 5€ per month for unlimited calls and Internet !

Reactions: josh2203

malko

Jan 12, 2013
In the above, I wrote 4g, but it's actually 5g networks.
You can tell I am getting old, as I don't keep up with the latest tech thingmajingy 🤣

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
For anybody else i really don't. Get a Postpago plan that fits your needs and you pay half than you pay now without this "recarga" headache..
Not true at all.. with the paqueticos you pay around 1000 pesos for 1 month of unlimited internet. With a postpago plan you would have to spend like 3-4x that amount, no way I'm doing that.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Not true at all.. with the paqueticos you pay around 1000 pesos for 1 month of unlimited internet. With a postpago plan you would have to spend like 3-4x that amount, no way I'm doing that.
Which operator/paquetico gives you that? Without any data caps?

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Which operator/paquetico gives you that? Without any data caps?
Altice, although I'm sorry I wrote it incorrectly. As already explained on previous posts you get for 149 pesos paquetico 5 days worth of internet with 5gb data, if you go over that you still have access but it goes to a super slow internet speed. So if you by that every 5th day you'd have paid less than 900 pesos for 30 gb of "high speed" connection.

Reactions: josh2203

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
Prepago works great for for those who prefer it, and postpago works great for those who prefer that. I use postpago with Claro because I wanted the option to use their roaming when in the US...can't do without a plan. I pay 540 pesos a month, with only a little for internet but I rarely need to use data for that. When I used to use prepago, I paid around 500 in "recargas" every 6 weeks or so to keep the number in service

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Prepago works great for for those who prefer it, and postpago works great for those who prefer that. I use postpago with Claro because I wanted the option to use their roaming when in the US...can't do without a plan. I pay 540 pesos a month, with only a little for internet but I rarely need to use data for that. When I used to use prepago, I paid around 500 in "recargas" every 6 weeks or so to keep the number in service
There is no comparison to "recargas" and postpago for anyone using roaming. With postpago You pay ZERO in the US and most of Europe and Latin America. Look into it. And they are constantly adding Countries. Also you do not use ANY minutes when calling to another Claro number in the DR...........

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Hello All,

(1) The first item is a technical matter. Probably no one here will be able to explain it unless you’ve had the same problem. With an Altice account and SIM card I deposited RD$ 500. Every time I bought a plan, “a paquetico,” from the app on my iPhone, even though the plan purchase was successful, the internet always failed. For example, this morning, I bought 5 GB for five days but, again, no internet. I then found a technician and paid him a small fee, $150.00. He worked on my phone for 20 minutes, and I was up and running with Altice—my first time on the net! (At home, using Altice wi-fi, a Triple Play package, there is never a problem). He explained that there were two issues: one with my configuration (my lack of understanding) and the other a problem with Altice where, for some customers, when you buy a plan from the app, that it creates problems. To avoid these problems, he said I should uninstall the app and buy “recarga” directly. Does anyone have experience with this specific problem related to Altice and the app?
(2) This second item should be more germane to members here. To me, buying “recarga” is a black box—I don’t understand it. Everyone I speak to repeats the same mantra: “Pay 150 for five days.” There seems to not exist any document, a data sheet, a piece of paper, that explains the relationship between how much you pay, how much data your receive, and the time limit on the data. Beyond that “Pay 150 for five days,” I’m lost and everyone I speak with cannot explain more. For example: a. When I go to the Altice office on El Conde, they tell me that they don’t sell “recarga”! What the hell? They sell Altice “recarga” at a Jumbo cash register but Altice doesn’t sell Altice? That seems preposterous, b. This morning, as a test, I bought 50 pesos of “recarga.” Then I receive a text message that I’ve used 80%. Does that mean that even though I bought a plan for one day, then when I reach 100%, my plan ends just hours after I bought it? And what to do then? (3) It’d be great if someone could explain the different amounts of money I could pay at a cash register (or wherever they sell “recarga”) and how those amounts of money correspond to time and data. Why there is not some piece of paper that explains this critical information is beyond me. And if you go to the Altice office, they don't know!
(3) I only use internet data for my smartphone once per week.. If I pay for five days, I may only use it once. On the other hand, if I pay for more time, I can just forget about it and not worry when I need to buy. What do you think is my best option?
(4) This is for other "gotchas" or solutions to problems that you might want to mention that can help other members here.
About the Internet packages every company has their own rules so depending your company rules vary, for example Claro packages for 5 days give you 1 gb per day and when you use the 5 gb they cap the speed to 256 kbps, if you buy a package plus that its more expensive then the cap of the speed its 1 mpbs. Not sure about Altice but Im sure in the webpage must show what they are giving you.

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
There is no comparison to "recargas" and postpago for anyone using roaming. With postpago You pay ZERO in the US and most of Europe and Latin America. Look into it. And they are constantly adding Countries. Also you do not use ANY minutes when calling to another Claro number in the DR...........
All I'm saying is people have reasons for their preference. I switched from prepago (using recargas) to postpago (a contract) in order to be able to use my phone in the US. Without the contract, there was no way I could to that. I misused the term "roaming", saying "free roaming" would have been more accurate. Sorry for that confusion.