damaged lap top screen

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
koreano, i am not technically advanced myself :) all i know is that few elements in my laptop failed. miesposo then chooses the replacement, buys it on ebay and has it shipped to PO box in miami and then here. his bff installs everything.
what i am saying here is that at a fairly low cost you can have your laptop up and running again. i know they are not built to last all that long but this new lease of life keeps them going. and helps you to avoid much higher cost of getting a new machine.

zoom, i was not aware of shipping issues. we buy on ebay or amazon and they ship to EPS no problem.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Most people overlook how importance of hard drive in their system. Everyone think bigger is better but not in this case. If your computer/laptop has SATA port, replacing hard drive with SSD drive for $100-$120 will do wonder for most of the system. Its a relatively cheap for big upgrade. I highly recommand it.

$100 to $120 US will not get you a very large hard drive since the price is about $1 per GB.

Another option is to use a fairly new version of hard drive that uses a Hybrid of Flash memory and a standard hard drive. Seagate Momentus XT.

Seagate Momentus XT - YouTube

It is a pretty good trade off when you consider the gains at a lower price point when compared to an entirely Solid State Drive.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
koreano, i am not technically advanced myself :) all i know is that few elements in my laptop failed. miesposo then chooses the replacement, buys it on ebay and has it shipped to PO box in miami and then here. his bff installs everything.
what i am saying here is that at a fairly low cost you can have your laptop up and running again. i know they are not built to last all that long but this new lease of life keeps them going. and helps you to avoid much higher cost of getting a new machine.
False advertising from manufacturers to make you believe that your old techie-electronics stuff will no longer work with current programs or out-dated components. And you have to replace whole thing if you have couple keys not being pressed or ran out of space. I know Apple fan boys are so used to this but still there are still just too many people think their computer, phone or tablet is crap because, it's 6 months old.

I bought my old Dell laptop on 2007 and it's still running fast as many notebooks sold today with just cheap ram and Hard Disk upgrade. And my phone is Galaxy SII and I don't need to get SIII because Samsung say it's just better.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
$100 to $120 US will not get you a very large hard drive since the price is about $1 per GB.

Another option is to use a fairly new version of hard drive that uses a Hybrid of Flash memory and a standard hard drive. Seagate Momentus XT.

Seagate Momentus XT - YouTube

It is a pretty good trade off when you consider the gains at a lower price point when compared to an entirely Solid State Drive.
The Hybrid drive have tendency of being slowed down as it gets fill up just like standard spinning drives. I have installed SSD in my laptop and got myself HDD Caddy Amazon.com: NEW SATA 2nd HDD caddy for 9.5mm Universal CD/DVD-ROM ACER BENQ HP DELL ASUS: Computers & Accessories and external CD-Rom casing Amazon.com: NEW SATA 2nd HDD caddy for 9.5mm Universal CD/DVD-ROM ACER BENQ HP DELL ASUS: Computers & Accessories. Now I have 120GB + 750 GB and about good 50% and 80% full on drives, I lost about points or two on WEI but still runs and open everything up super fast.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
False advertising from manufacturers to make you believe that your old techie-electronics stuff will no longer work with current programs or out-dated components. And you have to replace whole thing if you have couple keys not being pressed or ran out of space. I know Apple fan boys are so used to this but still there are still just too many people think their computer, phone or tablet is crap because, it's 6 months old.

I bought my old Dell laptop on 2007 and it's still running fast as many notebooks sold today with just cheap ram and Hard Disk upgrade. And my phone is Galaxy SII and I don't need to get SIII because Samsung say it's just better.
My experience is about 5 years use from a laptop. Beyond that heat and technology advances take a toll.

I do think that is slowing down somewhat. Hardware is advancing at a faster rate than operating systems/software, so even modest computers have a longer tech shelf life...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
USB 3.0 external drives are cheap and operate almost as fast as an internal hard drive. I just bought a 1TB 3.0 for like $75.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
My experience is about 5 years use from a laptop. Beyond that heat and technology advances take a toll.

I do think that is slowing down somewhat. Hardware is advancing at a faster rate than operating systems/software, so even modest computers have a longer tech shelf life...
It's so true CB...
You could squeeze a year or two more out by cleaning vents and replacing thermal compounds but beyond that it's really pushing it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
koreano, i do not mean they are not built to last because of the memory issues or not being able to upgrade anything. i mean that physically the components are not meant to last many years, and especially here in DR, with heat, humidity and the proximity to the ocean. not to mention power issues.
i do not feel the urge to upgrade or better my lil' machine in any way. i use it in very basic capacity: internet, word and not much else, i do not even watch movies here and i have never played a computer game. but i know the time will come when it is going to give the last breath.