Damn Cane Toads!!

May 29, 2006
I had one in my condo. They tend to come in after heavy rains.

What's the worst that could happen with a little spider? :)

tumblr_ltswlusNuy1qmf9gqo1_500.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we had a tarantula inside the house only once. other than that i have seen few more on the street, in front of our house. politely stopped and let them pass. one creature i am not too keen on is centipede. we had multitude of them in the garden when we bought the house (it was a mess). later on i have seen only a few, including two killed by our cats and presented to us in the bedroom.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
where the Fu7k did you see tarantulas??? I will stay away from wherever you saw them! They are my greatest fear!! SO if you want to rob me show me one and i will give you anything!!!

They are everywhere! Just saw a huge one up in the mountains behind Gaspar Hernandez yesterday, - hang around a river at dusk time, you'll see them. Completely harmless from what I know, they don't bite.

May 29, 2006
I hear it's the scorpions and centipedes you have to worry about in the DR... The centipedes get over 4" long.
scolopendrasp1.JPG

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i thought one guy was going to sell me something in bocachica and he showed me a centiped a size of a small snake i almost had a hart attack. my weakness is insects and my likes is reptiles

May 29, 2006
The anole lizards in the DR was one of the reasons I got into Ecology. There are several books on them. They're the little guys you see on tree trunks everywhere with the colored dewlaps. About 35 varieties in the DR.

F

Frank Garrett

Hello this Frank Garret i've been in country now about 18 months you must be an aussie those are the only jokers i've heard complain about em. Frank Garret Luperon.

s1mpleton

Dec 24, 2013
i must have gotten all the luck when i was invited to help out at this hotel.
first night i saw a tarantula in the road on the way to Cabarete from santo domingo.
the property that i take care of has about a dozen of those dam tree frogs, on any night i toss about 3 of these cane toads. everytime i clean the outside of the wall or the street gutter i end up with at least one of the giant centipedes running under my boot.
i have also found out the huge "Wasps" here will ignore me (good thing, i am allergic) and i am allergic to fire ant bites. find those little buggers all the time too.
Oh and fro added measure, several times leaving the "jardin" i have noticed one of those MOngoose/ferret things running across the road in front of me.

LOL. i guess Caberete is THE place to be :p

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Living in the low lying areas near the ocean (rich people) you will have all the forms of Dominican pests. The centipedes are everywhere and their sting is very painful. My dog never quite figured out the tarantulas and when he got bit his head swelled up such that his eyes were nearly closed, looked chinese. Tarantulas appear slow but they can jump suprisingly fast and get you. After a time even the dumb dogs figure out came toads and ignore them. These toads have no natural enemies and are there for fearless.I use a stick with a large sharpened nail on the end like an ice pick. After a while there were no more. They do not eat rats or mice. If anyone has been stung by a tarantula I would be interested in how it felt.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
We have a rock wall around our property and the tarantulas live in the nooks and crannys. If you have not seen tarantulas you will.
The centipedes will attach to your ankle if you walk in high grass. I walked into the house with one and thought it was a strand of grass wrapped around my ankle until I shook it off and it moved. Dominincan teen age kid killed it and said I was very lucky. Dr. Bob, the vet in Sosua, has some nice specimens in glass jars on his desk. A really nastly but not fatal bite. Do not leave dog food in dishes outside or you will attract cane toads. A good Dominican exterminator who sprays inside and outside on a regular basis will keep most of these pests at bay.

We used an exterminator and that got rid of all the roaches, well i see one every month or so but the ants and termites came back within a few weeks, we would probably get an exterminator to come every 2 months if we didn't have 8 animals.
It is really hard to pack them all up in the car for a few hours!

We don't have dog food outside bc of the toad and rats!