Damned Peskie Froggies

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Rocky is quite right. He brought back memories

Yes, Simon and Nicky, I can sympathize.
Here are a few ideas.
1) make sure that there is no open water nearby--Old tyres or empty paint cans. If there is a swimming pool, I think you are knackered. (I hadn't seen your post when I wrote this--guess you might be screwed, huhh)
2) Check the cistern, if there are frogs there you have to drain it and refill it You local cistern man does this all the time.
3) check the runoff of your A/C units, froggies love a shower...

I can remember nights on the farm when they were in fine tune. Big old bull frogs, called "Sapo Bogaert" since M. Bogaert brought them in from Belgium to control the mosquito population...

Other than drying up the area, I am afraid there is not a lot than can be done.

HB

Edited to add: What about one of those pool coverings? The kind you have to have in the States to prevent children from using the pool?? They are like mesh nettings.

Last edited:

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Patience!

Simon & Nicky said:
So, suggestions please. Someone, somewhere must know what to do - in all seriousness this is quite a pain in the ar*e.

Thanks

S&N

Simon and Nicky,

We too, have a lot of tree frogs on our property in the U.S. And they can be noisy at first. But after a while you get use to them and don't even realize they are there (or at least they tend to blend into the background of nature's nightly chorus). When we first moved from town to the country we woke up at every new night sound. After a few weeks we realized we had grown used to the sounds and didn't even hear them anymore. Now when we go to my sister's house by the railroad, we constantly wake to the trains going by, but she doesn't even hear them. It is just a matter of your brain and body processing the sounds until they become familiar and do not shock the system. I don't believe there is any way to "get rid" of them. So I guess I would suggest giving it a little time and look at it from their point of view...they were probably there first, and we are actually intruding on them. Be thankful for the good they do and take it a day (and night) at a time. Try earplugs if all else fails.

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
Hope that helps!

Simon & Nicky
Hi I found this for you on a web site:

Well, here is something that might surprise you! After many hours on the phone speaking to "reptile professors" in Tallahassee, I found out that if you want to deter frogs without harming them (like I wanted to) all you do is spray a heavy concentrate of "SALT WATER" around the areas you don't want them. What happens is the salt will sting the feet and this makes em move out. Be careful if you have sensitive plants. I just wanted them off my ledges of my house and leaving their droppings. It worked like magic!
- Lynne, Tampa Florida

Note Paul - webmaster, plants of almost any kind hate salt water and it will kill most greenery especially with repeated sprayings. But this sounds like a fantastic tip if applied sparingly - and the only effective one I've heard of.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another (crazy ?) Idea came to my mind :

what's the worst enemy of a tree frog? Snake

So it could be effective to buy or fabricate (gardening hose and some
paint) a number of fake snakes to be put in your garden in strategic positions.
Obviously knowing the colors of the frog-eaters in your area is necessary ( google if you don't know them).
I 've read they freak out when one is around (lol , they are not stupid after all)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another solution is to move their "playground" in a different area of your garden, I mean if you can't get rid of them completely ( and as you already know there are a dozen of reasons why you shouldn't) you can try to divert their "attention" away from your bedrooms windows.

From a web site:
Remove the conditions that attracts them in the first place. (cover your pool, no lights etc)
Divert them from the rest of the garden with a froggy corner (lol now you even have to build a mini amusement park for them)
Put some kind of physical barrier in place that they can't cross.

Frogs and toads are attracted to your garden for two reasons. The garden provides a source of food in the form of slugs, which they eat in large numbers. Secondly, they are attracted by shady, cool, moist places and water features.

The most effective method of deterring them is to remove the slugs (ha ha) and re-design the damp cool spots out of the garden. Neither method is easy but if you are desperate to get the frogs out, it is the only way.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't want to cover your pool ,it might be a good idea to make a little ramp to let them out, at least you'll reduce the amount of frogs trapped in your skimmer in the morning (must be not a nice view), they'll love it ;)

Herm :nervous: afterall earplugs doesn't seems such a bad solution uh?!

Last advice, if you care about your female population, don't let them kiss the little cute thing...you never know :p ;)

Last edited: